Tsunami Watch

eventing4life

Now it is a Tsumani Warning. This gets our attention. They are saying the sirens will sound in 3 hours....midnight our time. Waves could hit at 2:59am our time. We have a great warning system...so we are getting ready to go.

Now it is a Tsumani Warning. This gets our attention. They are saying the sirens will sound in 3 hours....midnight our time. Waves could hit at 2:59am our time. We have a great warning system...so we are getting ready to go.

Such horrible news for all in Pacific who are be impacted by the tsumanis.

Be safe. Many prayers and best wishes to all.

Jan

I heard on the news that they cleared all the boats from the Hawaiian harbors....so the POA will leave the dock in Kauai and head out to sea.

Hope all goes well for the POA cruisers and all Hawaii, our thoughts are with them. We were on the POA's cruise just last week (Feb 26-March 5 cruise). Their normal schedule was to leave Kauai at 2:00 pm today. After the volcano eruption last Saturday and the earthquake now we can only imagine how everyone onboard the POA must be feeling. They just reported the waves hitting the Maui port. We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott before and after the cruise last week. One of our friends just told us they were asking people in the beach hotels to head to the highest floors.

They said on the news this morning that a 8' wave hit Kahului, Maui where POAm docks. Has anyone heard of any damage from it?

I hope the people that were still in Kauai were able to get back on the ship before she left port. I'm not sure the ship would go back since the waves could be hitting for several hours.

Per NCL's posting on facebook this morning.

The safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the current tsunami advisory for Hawaii. All guests aboard Pride of America are safe and doing well.

Pride of America left Nawiliwili, Kauai early at approximately 1 am local time and is currently at sea where conditions are safe for the vessel. Once the warning is lifted and the port re-opens, the ship is expected to return to Nawiliwili today.

The ship will return to Honolulu on Saturday, March 12 and the next cruise will sail as scheduled.

I'm currently at the Maui Ocean Club on Kaanapali Beach in Maui. The resort and surrounding area did not sustain any damage. At 3:00 a.m., guests from the ground floor were temporarily evacuated but have since been able to return to their rooms. While the resort is still closed down for food service and pool use and have requested guests to stay off the beach, people are out and about, starting to enjoy what is shaping up to be another beautiful day in paradise.

Here on the Hilo side of the Big Island we were lucky this time around. No major damage reported. We spent the night in our car on higher ground and were just allowed back home after 7 hours. The Kona side got the big hit this time. The King Kamehameha Hotel had several feet of water in the lobby (newly renovated!) and some damage. I also heard that the furniture in Bubba Bump's was washed out to sea. Just saw a picture of Ali'i Drive (the shoping street that runs along the waterfront) and it is very torn up.

The good news is that there are no reports of injuries on this island. So, all of our thoughts and prayers should now be directed to the people of Japan.

Hi Kopoho2 - So happy to see your report and know that Hilo is o.k. Our son spent the night at a friend's house on high ground. It must have been a sleepless night for you. With a son in Hilo and a daughter in Lahaina I spent the night with CNN on. There were no "live" pictures because everything was happening in darkness. The sorrow and devastation in Japan today is unimaginable to me. Cherie

Wow that one guy on the sea wall almost got taken out. He is stupid and lucky.

Ate at one of the restuarants in that shopping center on my last trip to Hawaii.

The one Royal Palace that is right near there sustained major damage from an earthquake in 06 just prior to our cruise. It closed for renovations shortly after we were there. Does anyone know if the wave surge hit it also?

Archived