Hair Dryers in cabins

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:49 PM.
#1
UK
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
hi everyone. I can't find the answer to this simple question so I thought of you all! Even customer service couldn't tell me .
Please can anyone who has been on Star in a V1 cabin tell me if the hairdryer is fit for purpose...not 1 of those rubbish ones in the bathrooms I hope .
I really need a decent dryer and would prefer not to have to take mine...for space purposes...but will if necessary.
Thank you in advance.
#2
166 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by jollyjoyce
hi everyone. I can't find the answer to this simple question so I thought of you all! Even customer service couldn't tell me .

Please can anyone who has been on Star in a V1 cabin tell me if the hairdryer is fit for purpose...not 1 of those rubbish ones in the bathrooms I hope .

I really need a decent dryer and would prefer not to have to take mine...for space purposes...but will if necessary.

Thank you in advance.


We had one on the Sea and Sky and both had very good hairdryers . You shouldn't have to bring yours my wife said ! But we where in Dv1 cabins


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#3
UK
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Eaches
We had one on the Sea and Sky and both had very good hairdryers . You shouldn't have to bring yours my wife said ! But we where in Dv1 cabins


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Thank you for that....and to your wife.
#4
Michigan
1,431 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
We were in a v1 cabin on the Sky last Spring. hair dryer was good not quite as strong as mine at home. I have shoulder length hair that is medium thick and it dried without an issue.
#5
UK
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by deec
We were in a v1 cabin on the Sky last Spring. hair dryer was good not quite as strong as mine at home. I have shoulder length hair that is medium thick and it dried without an issue.
Thank you...can I ask if it was a free standing dryer...i.e...with its own plug that you could plug in anywhere?
Sorry if these seem stupid Qs to some folks !!!
#6
2,259 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Yes it is - think decent "named hairdresser" dryer, it's in a bag in a one of the drawers adjacent to the bathroom door along with shoehorn etc. JollyJoyce's wife is right!(but aren't we girls always! )

One thing there is no magnifying mirror in these staterooms (or bathroom), so bring your own if you need one. This was something which we did miss but I always bring a small mirror - but the DH likes a magnifying mirror for shaving.

I mentioned this to Karine Hagen when we were on the Sky Christening Voyage - in response to a question she asked (and while we were having cuddles with Finse) -and was told to go tell her Dad! Oh no! I felt like I was being taken to the "headmaster's study"! Ha ha ha! But what a charming gentleman Mr Torstein Hagen is and he did listen and wanted to know all what we thought about his ship. It's not every day you get to meet the founder, chairman and CEO of a cruise line!
#7
UK
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by fairbourne
Yes it is - think decent "named hairdresser" dryer, it's in a bag in a one of the drawers adjacent to the bathroom door along with shoehorn etc. JollyJoyce's wife is right!(but aren't we girls always! )

One thing there is no magnifying mirror in these staterooms (or bathroom), so bring your own if you need one. This was something which we did miss but I always bring a small mirror - but the DH likes a magnifying mirror for shaving.

I mentioned this to Karine Hagen when we were on the Sky Christening Voyage - in response to a question she asked (and while we were having cuddles with Finse) -and was told to go tell her Dad! Oh no! I felt like I was being taken to the "headmaster's study"! Ha ha ha! But what a charming gentleman Mr Torstein Hagen is and he did listen and wanted to know all what we thought about his ship. It's not every day you get to meet the founder, chairman and CEO of a cruise line!
Thank you for that info...just what I needed to know and the best thing is it now saves me having to pack my own hairdryer !!!'
The sad thing is that customer service can't answer things like this.
Magnifying mirror isn't a problem for us but I have no doubt that bit of info will be useful to someone else.
You were very lucky to meet the "Main Man" and good that he was so nice.

Thanks again Cruisecritic members.
#8
2,259 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Oops ...l misread a post it was "Eaches' wife" who said don't bring yours ..... Ah well!

I think we will be having magnifying mirrors! In fact the whole family and their guests were lovely with all the guests on board .... But of course Finse was the absolute star of the show! She was on board until we left the last Norwegian port of Leknes. As the ship was headed to Orkney, Shetland and London and we were told that dogs (not service dogs) are not allowed into the UK on a cruise ship they left. Anyway, they were back on board in London (Greenwich). That was a nice surprise to see them again and we were greeted like old friends. No airs and graces and that's evident throughout the whole ship too - I don't think I've ever felt so relaxed coming off a cruise .... Anything else you want to know, just ask away.
#9
South Carolina
104 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
We were in a DV1 on the Viking Star and the hairdryer (in a bag) worked well, but it would not fit the outlet in the bathroom--that one seemed only for an electric razor. Had to use the outlet where the coffee machine had been--not as convenient but it was okay.
#10
Pennsylvania, USA
105 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Hair dryer worked great in the plug near the pull-up vanity mirror in our cabin (PV1). If your cabin has such a vanity, you're all set. Check your floor plan. I am picky about hair dryers and hate "wimpy" ones. This one was fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eaglewatchers (Candy and David)

Viking Homelands (on Viking Star), July, 2015
Tulips and Windmills (on Viking Bragi), Mar-April, 2016
Romantic Danube (Viking Jarl) May, 2017
Grand Pacific Explorer (Viking Spirit) 2019
#11
UK
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by eaglewatchers
Hair dryer worked great in the plug near the pull-up vanity mirror in our cabin (PV1). If your cabin has such a vanity, you're all set. Check your floor plan. I am picky about hair dryers and hate "wimpy" ones. This one was fine.
Great, many thanks for that.
Joyce
#12
Boston MA
6,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by eaglewatchers
Hair dryer worked great in the plug near the pull-up vanity mirror in our cabin (PV1). If your cabin has such a vanity, you're all set. Check your floor plan. I am picky about hair dryers and hate "wimpy" ones. This one was fine.
The vanity mirror is in the desk, in all cabins, I believe. Also, that is where they hide the binoculars, at least they do in the DV cabins.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse





Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save