EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Wandering and Packing

So I could not put it off any further I had to get packed. So pulled out my prized winfall suitcase and filled it back up late afternoon. Air Canada weight limit 50lbs. I was at 53 lbs. I just love how Air Canada charges you for everything now. $25 each way for one bag and $25 each way to pre-book your seats. So that is a minimum $100/person extra round trip. I Just don't get why I pay in CDN$ when I leave but pay $USD on the way back. God bless Air Canada.

CE14HX_%25202421-XL.jpg

So after packing and sunset we would be going to the early show in Equinox theatre then onto Blu for our final supper. See were I was raised we called lunch 12:00 PM dinner and 5:00 PM supper. Could be left over from our UK heritage. People on PEI still use this naming convention and learnt the difference when I left in 1984. So be careful you non PE Islanders if someone from here invites you to Dinner make sure you confirm the time slot.

Before the show I took a few pictures and that leads me into this next topic of Quasar. Boy is this one under utilized area of the ship. So I have been on Equinox twice and Solstice once and rarely seen this venue getting used. I think maybe Celebrity got it right with Silhouette and Reflection and dropped this venue. Comments?

CE14HX_%25202428-XL.jpg

The shops on Deck 5 across from the Photo Studio.

CE14HX_%25202430-XL.jpg

So off to the early showing of "A Voyage to Remember" hosted by CD, Paul Baya. The show was good but, personally I would have preferred an encore from Piano Legend Michael Anthony Perna than magician Jay. That is just me and probably not the people who made up the schedule.

CE14HX_%25202424%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

So as soon as the show was over we were off to Blu for our final "supper" (you know what I mean right?). One last look at the lovely Blu Menu cover.

CE14HX_%25202434-XL.jpg

Nope! I don't see anything on the Blu entree menu that catches my fancy tonight so I guess I am ordering from the MDR menu. So I guess it has become pretty obvious that in general the Blu menu is not really for Kevin and Donna.

CE14HX_%25202436-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Blu Salads & Entrees

Donna was also giving the MDR menu a going over.

CE14iD_%25200208-XL.jpg

My last french onion soup.

CE14HX_%25202447-XL.jpg

Norma Jean's Salad.

CE14HX_%25202448-XL.jpg

Kevin's salad

CE14HX_%25202450-XL.jpg

I know this wasn't Donna or mine because it has shrimp on it.

CE14KW_%25200466-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

More Blu

Donna's

CE14HX_%25202452-XL.jpg

Kevin's which was quite good. (from MDR menu)

CE14HX_%25202453-XL.jpg

Ken's

CE14KW_%25200462-XL.jpg

I just thought of an idea on how to remember who's food is who. Take a picture of that person before the food. I will use that next year. (Good idea Kevin. Thanks)

For the last picture of Blu I think it is appropriate to show our table empty.

CE14HX_%25202458-XL.jpg

Take a look at this Ken fella perfecting "getting the same in person in the photo twice trick" on Deck 14 elevator lobby.

CE14KW_%25200456-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Last Sleep

Last picture of the chocolate turn down with our open suitcase still on the couch. Room steward were already busy picking up luggage in the halls.

CE14HX_%25202464-XL.jpg

This picture of our suitcases out in the hall means it really is over. We are doing a Fort Lauderdale excursion tomorrow and reason why we are letting our suitcase go rather than self walk off.

CE14HX_%25202465-XL.jpg

Stay tuned this not the end yet! We still have disembarkation, Fort Lauredale excursion, and Equinox Leaving from 17th Street Causeway to cover.

Remember to add your comments or questions.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I'm very sorry that this review is almost over! I have very much enjoyed living vicariously through your amazing photos and detailed trip report. Thanks again for taking the time to do this!

By the way, did Norma Jean end up liking the Lobster?

Okay we just got off a very important face time interview with Norma Jean to get her answer on this very important topic...

" It was okay and I would order it again" Norma Jean Replied. I pressed a little farther and asked her to compare to Maritime Lobster. "Oh! I would much rather have my lobster boiled (Maritime) than how it was prepared in Blu."

On PEI you would never find lobster prepare/served that way (Blu) at the many Lobster Suppers. (see we call it Suppers not Dinner). Served boiled either hot or Cold with butter cut in halves with two huge claws detached ready to crack.

It has been fun doing this report and yes it has taken a extremely large amount of time to prepare.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

It is so, so sad to see the suitcases parked outside the doors the last evening waiting to be picked up. Heavy sigh.....it is just about over.

Yes! That is the ultimate kick in the butt saying IT IS OVER. Then I chuckled to myself because it was over a month a go. LOL!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I have really enjoyed reading your report and am sorry to see your suitcases in the corridor!

I agree that Quasar is wasted space. The only time I went in there is was much too loud etc. The best use I saw for it was as a space for one of those "everything $10.00 sales."

Okay we just got off a very important face time interview with Norma Jean to get her answer on this very important topic...

" It was okay and I would order it again" Norma Jean Replied. I pressed a little farther and asked her to compare to Maritime Lobster. "Oh! I would much rather have my lobster boiled (Maritime) than how it was prepared in Blu."

On PEI you would never find lobster prepare/served that way (Blu) at the many Lobster Suppers. (see we call it Suppers not Dinner). Served boiled either hot or Cold with butter cut in halves with two huge claws detached ready to crack.

It has been fun doing this report and yes it has taken a extremely large amount of time to prepare.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks to Norma Jean for that interview! Glad to know it was good, even to her discerning palate! I'm sure it will be great to this land-bound girl.

I too hate to see the luggage in the hallway. You have done an excellent job on this review and have allowed Beth and I relive the cruise via your pictures!

Can't wait to see what you have left in your story. :D

Thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures. I'm thinking of taking my WD Live, so it looks like if I do, that should work out great! Lots of sea days!

Just wanted to follow up on my experience onboard the Equinox.

TV was locked. Didn't matter which HDMI port you tried to use, or USB port, etc.

I inquired at Guest Relations and was advised that they were locked so guests would use the pay per view instead of being able to watch their own photos, movies, etc. I expressed my displeasure regarding not being able to view my own photos as ludicrous.

A couple of days later, the remote batteries died on the remote control in the room, and they had to send the IT person. I asked him about the ability to use the HDMI port, and he asked if I wanted it unlocked. I was surprised, and said, that would be great as we like to view our photos while we are in the cabin and delete the "oops" photos, etc.

He came back with a master remote, and unlocked the TV and we were able to view our photos from our laptop.

Wow Kevin, we can't thank you enough for the time you spent sharing your cruise with us. We are on the Equinox in November sailing your same itinerary - I hope we have 1/2 as good a time as you appeared to be having! One question. We would like to have lunch at the specialty restaurant(s). You enjoyed lunch at Tuscan Grill on the final of four sea days. I reviewed the Celebrity today for each sea day and it looks like that was the only restaurant offered for lunch and the only sea day it was open. Is this correct?

FYI, my husband read your review yesterday and now I fear we are in the market for a new camera! :) Thanks again.

I enjoyed you review....looked forward to the next episode....we were on Equinox a couple yrs ago and will be again Dec 12 for 10 days...Very nice ship and cruiseline...thanks again..Craig

I also thought it was a great review. I will see you on board in December. My DH and I are on this sailing. We were on the Equinox in November, 2013.

Gail

Sorry guys have not been able to give any updates today. I have procrastinated on getting our personal taxes finished for the April 30 deadline. Just bought Turbo Tax on the weekend but rather than prepare taxes I spent it on this Trip Report. Turbo Tax only works on a PC which I do not have any at home anymore so the horror I had to drag my work Windows notebook home and crank them out. Just missing one charitable donation receipt to finish. Do you just love CRA (Canada Revenue Agency)?

Regards;

Kevin Reid

You do actually have until Monday May 5 this year Kevin. CRA extended the deadline because of the heart bleed bug and all the chaos it caused with the CRA site. And yes, the site is horrible.

Karen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry guys have not been able to give any updates today. I have procrastinated on getting our personal taxes finished for the April 30 deadline. Just bought Turbo Tax on the weekend but rather than prepare taxes I spent it on this Trip Report. Turbo Tax only works on a PC which I do not have any at home anymore so the horror I had to drag my work Windows notebook home and crank them out. Just missing one charitable donation receipt to finish. Do you just love CRA (Canada Revenue Agency)?

Regards;

Kevin Reid

Ah, a kindred spirit! So much better to do fun things than taxes. Ugh. I always procrastinate about taxes.

I'm pretty sure Turbo Tax is available in an Apple version, I know my kids use it and they both have iMacs.

Kevin:

Thank you so very much for allowing us to relive the cruise. It was a great reminder of how much fun we had. Looking forward to cruising again with some of the wonderful people we met.

Kevin: I know you enjoy ziplining, so I found something for you to try

George

Addie (wintry stew)

http://www.20min.ch/ro/videotv/?channel_id=124&video_id=360096

Kevin,

Thank you for writing such a great review and your pictures were fantastic. It was great to have this to remind us of all the fun we had on this same cruise. Maybe someday we will be on the same cruise together again. If so we will try to get into a few of your pictures. This is one of the best pciture reviews I have seem. Thanks so much.

Carl

Regards;

Kevin Reid

Sad to not have your reviews to look forward to! Hopefully, we'll be on a cruise together someday.

Thanks so much.

Barbara & Tom

I have really enjoyed reading your report and am sorry to see your suitcases in the corridor!

I agree that Quasar is wasted space. The only time I went in there is was much too loud etc. The best use I saw for it was as a space for one of those "everything $10.00 sales."

With the recent changes just announced by Celebrity I am surprised that Quasar was not part of the change. But maybe since it is at the front of the ship and away from kitchens was not in the cards this time.

Thanks for sticky with the Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I enjoyed you review....looked forward to the next episode....we were on Equinox a couple yrs ago and will be again Dec 12 for 10 days...Very nice ship and cruiseline...thanks again..Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your comments. Have fun on your pre-Christmas cruise. Love to be with you.

Regards,

Kevin Reid