Queen Mary 2 tonight on the Discovery Channel

Martha B.

Tonight the Queen Mary2 will be featured on the Discovery Channel.......check your local listing. It will be on from 7 pm to 9 pm, Central Time. Yes, a 2 hour feature!

Happy Trails and Sails!

MB West Texas

Hi Martha B,

Thank for posting the Special on the QM2. One really got the fell as to what went into building the ship. Fascinating and amazing!

Hopefully there will be another showcasing the interiors... Cabins, Lounges, Ballroom, Restaurants, etc.

Thank you again.

Miss Vale

I just finished watching the late 11pm showing of the special. I very much enjoyed it and even taped the program. There were a few errors such as reporting that "QM2 is the first green ship", and that "QM2 is the first passenger ship with three bow thrusters". Those statements are just false.

If you enjoyed this program, be sure to view a similar program about the building of VOYAGER OF THE SEAS which I personally found even more enjoyable. It seemed VOYAGER had more challenges during her building, with the first floating ice skating rink, the long Royal Promenade with massive fire doors, not to mention one of the first passenger ships to utilize Azipods (and three at that). The special on VOYAGER really showcased those challenges as well as the many design issues.

Both specials are certainly "must-haves" for any ship lover.

Ernie

The video was well done except for the annoying soundtrack in the background. Did anyone else have that problem?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Just a note, the show is being repeated tomorrow, Saturday May 1st at Noon EST.

I saw bits and pieces of it last night, definitely a VCR Alert!

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

I watched this program earlier today on tape and I have to say it was not bad. Actually by mass media standards it was astoundingly good, but it was not perfect either.

There were a few rather large errors:

1. She does not weigh 150,000 tons. (The common misconception that gross tonnage = weight is a big pet peeve of mine.) I nearly wanted to put my fist through the TV set on hearing that one at the beginning of the program!

2. She is not the first passenger ship with more than two bow thrusters. They should have asked Stephen Payne, he's designed plenty of others...

3. She is not the first "green ship" with a zero-discharge policy. As far as I know all the major cruise lines' ships have had such a policy for some time now.

4. She is not the largest ship in the world. That honor goes to the supertanker JAHRE VIKING at 260,851 GT compared to QM2's 148,528. She is "only" the largest passenger ship.

5. (This was pointed out to my by someone else so I can't take credit for noticing it) - She is not the most powerful passenger ship in the world. That honor still goes to SS UNITED STATES.

There were a few other minor errors but for the most part I was almost convinced that the person writing actually new something about ships.

Still, it was generally a very good program, and if you are interested in ships and haven't watched it, I'd certainly make a point of doing so.

It does not, however, compare favorably with a (much longer) film that Royal Caribbean had comissioned for VOYAGER OF THE SEAS, which was far more detailed and did not contain any blatant errors that I can recall. This is a shame; as a liner nut as I am frankly much more interested in QM2!

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Any One Know if they will re Air it? I set my VCR but it was on EST not my CST so i missed the 1'st Hr. My Old VHS just sucked so i went out and got a new one just for this mornings repeat.

Ships i have been on

Cunard Princess 1 Time

Cunard Countess 1 Time

Cunard QE2 7 Times

Cunard Sagafjord 1 Time

Cunard Crown Jewel 1 Time

Cunard Crown Dynasty 2 Times

Enchantment of the Seas 1 Time

Navigator OF THE Seas 1 Time

Splendor Of The Seas 1 Time

Till Voyager Of The Seas  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;10;3;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TXChris: I caught most of the program on QM2 but wish that I had taped it. I sent an e-mail to Discovery Channel (via their Web site) a few days ago, and got this response today:

"Thank you for contacting Viewer Relations. We appreciate your inquiry. Unfortunately, Queen Mary 2, Birth of a Legend is not available on

video or dvd. While this program is currently not scheduled to be televised, it may

be rescheduled in the future so please check back again in the future."

So, let's just hope that they decide to show it again!

Joyce

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Buggers .. I only have the last HR and darn the time Diff 12/11 my time and. Oh well i will look every week to see if it comes back on.

Ty for looking in to it Joyce.

I will be happy when i get back from the VOS out of NJ OCT 5 to see the Qm2 in NYC

Ships i have been on

Cunard Princess 1 Time

Cunard Countess 1 Time

Cunard QE2 7 Times

Cunard Sagafjord 1 Time

Cunard Crown Jewel 1 Time

Cunard Crown Dynasty 2 Times

Enchantment of the Seas 1 Time

Navigator OF THE Seas 1 Time

Splendor Of The Seas 1 Time

Till Voyager Of The Seas  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;10;3;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 2 weeks later...

Turn on your VCRs the Queen Mary 2 is on the Discovery channel again tonight!!!!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Caribbean Princess 8/28/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Archived