Rhine in Early April

Hap

We are considering a Rhine the first week of April. This will be our first river cruise. Has anyone taken a Rhine cruise at this time? I would like to know what to expect weather wise, temp, rain, etc, also river conditions. Any advise would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's the cheekie answer....put all the variables in a hat and pick a few out. That's what you might get. We've had brilliantly warm sunny conditions as well as serious rain and cold.

Best advice...check the 10 day weather forecast for both end cities a few days before departure to get a general idea.

In case it might rain, some cruise lines provide umbrellas, but you're better off with a good raincoat with hood...better coverage if it's windy and it leaves both hands free.

That's actually not such a cheeky response. One year in early April we experienced snow and mostly cold damp weather. Another April , warm mostly sunny days. Our packing tip . . . layers, with a waterproof outer layer and a backpack to carry a spare layer while day touring.

I have not done the Rhine in early April, but I have done the Elbe, the Danube, the Seine and the Rhone then (not all the same year;)). One of my Rhine trips was in July and exceptionally HOT. I'd take April over July every time - cooler, less crowded and less expensive, not to mention spring flowers. I heartily second CPT Trips layering suggestions.

Thom

We did the Rhine this past Mid-April. We lucked out and had wonderful weather. A bit cool in Amsterdam but got warmer as we headed towards Basel. I wore pants most of the time but did take a pair of capris I think I wore once. As was said previously, layers is the answer.

Yes, 3/30 - 4/6/14. That year, spring was early in Europe, and it was nearly 70 in Switzerland when we started. It got a little cooler as we continued, and Amsterdam was cold and rainy.

As others have said, come prepared for any possibility, wear layers, bring a raincoat, etc. My blog (link below) has pictures that should give you an idea of the weather conditions 2 years ago. Obviously, things can differ radically from year to year.

Edited by jpalbny

Please take gloves! I was on a Uniworld Tulip and Windmills cruise a few years back and I had gloves plus rain gear! A number of the passengers did not understand bulbs bloom at a cool temperature and had to buy gloves. Temperatures can vary but it will always feel colder near the river.

Second seating

Last April I went on the Danube if that is any help. Temperatures were fine as long as there was no rain. It did rain all day in Bratislava, but wonderful weather for Budapest, Vienna, Melk, Passau and Durnstein.

Thanks for all the advise. We have booked with Grand Circle for March 29. This is our first river cruise, have done 41 cruises, and we are looking forward to it.

They have several cruises on the Rhein (some combined with other rivers), what one did you book?

I'm booked on the Rhine Discovery with Vantage River Voyager ( new ship ) for May of 17, going Basel, Strasbourg, Heidlberg, Speyer, Mainz, Koblenz, Cologne, Amsterdam. I was stationed at Ramstein air base 1990-92 and just loved Germany. I've visited several of the ports listed and sure look forward to seeing them once again.

Last year was the Viking Prestige going Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Melk, Durnstein, Salzburg, and Passau. What a trip !!