Why do Rum Runners work?

louann123

Why are plastic rum runners able to get through security undetected, but glass bottles get detected?

I thought x-ray devices detect metal?

Is it the metal foil/cap that is picked up? or the shape?

What about plastic liquor bottles that some mfgs offer?

X-ray machines detect more than metal. They show different densities of materials. And the scanners at Carnival are trained to look for bottles, not the irregular and hard to see plastic of the rum runners.

Why are plastic rum runners able to get through security undetected, but glass bottles get detected?

Not sure. I tried to use 'em and they worked just fine. But things get more technical as time progresses...

I recommend them.:)

X-ray machines detect more than metal. They show different densities of materials. And the scanners at Carnival are trained to look for bottles, not the irregular and hard to see plastic of the rum runners.

That makes sense except:

I know all the cruiselines watch these boards carefully. If we all know about Rum Runners, they they do also, so how hard would it take to add the Rum Runner shape (they are all the same) to the "training"?

That is like being able to detect the shape of a dog, but not a cat?

They both have 4 legs and a tail. (yes, I know there are some 3 legged dogs and some cats with no tails........... )

They're not actually regular old x-ray machines...apparently it's a new type of scanner that detects different types of liquids in addition to shapes. So they are catching rum runners, too, as well as a lot of the creative substitutions to carry on liquor: at least according to some of the recent threads on the topic. The original thread about it back in February:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1139614

Oh, and ETA this thread about confiscations:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1147946

It does look like they are not yet using the new scanners at all ports...for sure they're using them at POM, though. My favorite on the confiscation thread is one of the last posts about trying to get alcohol on in bubble bottles (with the wands put back in) They were confiscated...I wondered did the people checking the luggage try to blow bubbles with the booze, lol.

I had no problems getting my rumrunners past the machines in the Port of Miami. Depends a lot on how full you fill them, whether or not you get all the air out, and where you put them in your bag. Yes, the scanners are getting better, but if you pack them where they're hard to see and around other organic materials they're difficult to detect.

That makes sense except:

I know all the cruiselines watch these boards carefully. If we all know about Rum Runners, they they do also, so how hard would it take to add the Rum Runner shape (they are all the same) to the "training"?

They both have 4 legs and a tail. (yes, I know there are some 3 legged dogs and some cats with no tails........... )

It's not really about that , xray doesn't show most liquids but will show the outline of a glass bottle . The newest xrays do show liquids , I guess because of added security after 9/11 and liquid explosives .

I just ordered 2 bottles, Tuaca, and Grey Goose, from bon-voyage.

They were about 2.5 times as much as the liquor store would be, but I don't have to worry about being treated like a smuggler.

Plus we will try to bring on 4 btls of wine.

If 2 btls get taken, we can drink them on the last night.

I think one reason is it does not look like a bottle of liquor..I took a plastic 750 bottle with me on my last NCL cruise and it got past and they are supposed to be strict about smuggling...I pack my rum runners next to my shave kit so it blends into the stuff I shave with..:)....Dennis

That makes sense except:

This is the very reason (that carnival will at some point know how to find rum runners) that we are just going to get some alcohol delivered to our cabin via Bon Voyage...not cheap but less than having to buy a drink by drink or risk losing everything if they take the rum runners away!

I think one reason is it does not look like a bottle of liquor..I took a plastic 750 bottle with me on my last NCL cruise and it got past and they are supposed to be strict about smuggling...I pack my rum runners next to my shave kit so it blends into the stuff I shave with..:)....Dennis

I've also heard people say that they tuck the cap/opening into something dense like a shoe.

• 1 year later...

Went on Norwegian Cuise to Bahamas out of NYC Feb 2012. We had 9 rum runners. I bought them on ebay. Worked like a charm. mixed them with tea or soda and saved a ton. I have heard Norwegian is extremely hard to get alcohol on board. It was easy. I did not lock my luggage. I did place only 2 rum runners per luggage. And I tried to hide them. Great tip was to buy new pack of socks, cut top of package and place rum runners inside. Most socks have a zipper on package. Zip them back up and no one would notice even if they open your bag, and if they spill only the socks get wet. Mine never spilt. best product ever.

We just got back a week ago from a cruise on RC and packed 4 large rum runners in our luggage, I had 2 16oz in my carry on and NEVER even got a second look! I did try to conceal them the best I could and it worked perfect!!! I HIGHLY recommend them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke with the head of port security once and she laughed at people who are so naive thinking they cannot be seen. She said do you really think we cant see all liquids, what if someone had a explosive. We are really looking for things that are harmfull, and select only a certain percentage of smuggling to bust. We simply do not have time to get it all.

Its because there is so much luggage.

Besides .. they have busted some rum runners and they are disposed of. Ive seen the posts on CC.

Dont be naive. Of course they can see them. If you are carefull and only smuggling small amounts your chances are better they will skip over you. NOT that they cant see all liquids.

I spoke with the head of port security once and she laughed at people who are so naive thinking they cannot be seen. She said do you really think we cant see all liquids, what if someone had a explosive. We are really looking for things that are harmfull, and select only a certain percentage of smuggling to bust. We simply do not have time to get it all.

Its because there is so much luggage.

Besides .. they have busted some rum runners and they are disposed of. Ive seen the posts on CC.

Dont be naive. Of course they can see them. If you are carefull and only smuggling small amounts your chances are better they will skip over you. NOT that they cant see all liquids.

Ding, ding, ding. Think about it folks, they have to scan upwards of 4,000 pieces of luggage at least and on the mega-ships double that at least. The odds are in your favor but rum runners are detectable.

as others have posted , most things are seen by the scanners/imaging devices.

Security is trained to look for bottles. rum runners when used right ( air taken out, bent into a different shape still show up but not as clear as one who puts a bottle of booze in checked luggage.

now if they checked every bag for any container of liquids, it would take forever . they simply do not have the time or the manpower.

port security peeps also get "achievment pts" when they detect certain items ( like weapons and such) Booze is not considered a standard achivemnet pts bonus.... this is according to a good friend who wroks security at canaveral.

as others have posted , most things are seen by the scanners/imaging devices.

Security is trained to look for bottles. rum runners when used right ( air taken out, bent into a different shape still show up but not as clear as one who puts a bottle of booze in checked luggage.

now if they checked every bag for any container of liquids, it would take forever . they simply do not have the time or the manpower.

port security peeps also get "achievment pts" when they detect certain items ( like weapons and such) Booze is not considered a standard achivemnet pts bonus.... this is according to a good friend who wroks security at canaveral.

Bingo!

That makes sense except:

Am curious, how do u know cruiselines watch these boards carefully??

Archived