vacations more fun in the planning than in the doing?

poss

I've been reading recently a couple of articles that purport that vacations are more fun in the planning than in the actual vacation time itself. Not sure what I think about that (actually I think not). But the notion prompts me to say how much I've appreciated the help of CC folks over the last decade or so. We came to cruising late in our lives, but from my very first inquiries on this site, which led me happily to Radisson/Regent, where we've been happy campers ever since (tho not real happy about "concierge") to the planning for the cruise (Celtic Charms) we're about to take off for in a few hours (some days in Bath before), it's been a real boon to have the Regent CC people along for the ride. Planning has for sure been fun and I appreciate tremendously all the help I've gotten here. Many thanks!

Have a great time Poss! Bath is a very nice city, and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Yes, the planning is indeed wonderful--which is why many of us wish we were travel agents (I certainly have considered this, but it's a tough job.)

But, ..., I must say that the trips themselves are better than the planning. Otherwise we could plan trips and then cancel them (kind of like planning on what you'll do with lottery winnings!)

Too funny, Poss! I read that same article and have been mulling that over for a while. Wendy, I liked your realization that if it were true, we'd plan and then cancel!

Wishing you a wonderful, wonderful cruise. I am looking forward to reading all about it and particularly your precruise touring!

At this point in my life a vacation is like a nice dinner. It comes with an appetizer, a main course and a dessert. The appetizer is the planning, wheting you appetite for what is to come. The main course is the trip itself with all the great conversation and interaction with other "diners at your table." And the dessert; well that's reviewing your photos and reliving the memories/events of the "meal." The three of us still talk about things that happened and people we met years later. I bet most of you do, too.

Gosh! that sounds soapy:rolleyes:! But that's how I see/feel it.

Greg

At this point in my life a vacation is like a nice dinner. It comes with an appetizer, a main course and a dessert. The appetizer is the planning, wheting you appetite for what is to come. The main course is the trip itself with all the great conversation and interaction with other "diners at your table." And the dessert; well that's reviewing your photos and reliving the memories/events of the "meal." The three of us still talk about things that happened and people we met years later. I bet most of you do, too.

Gosh! that sounds soapy:rolleyes:! But that's how I see/feel it.

Greg

Perfect description!

Greg, that's perfect! Thank you!

As a related aside, there was a scientific study that was reported on in the popular literature maybe a couple years ago.

Sometimes you spend your money/time on experiences (travel, shows, whatever). Sometimes you spend it on material objects (new car, tv, toys).

It turns out that when people invest their resources on experiences, rather than objects, they tend to be happier with those decisions when looking back on them later.

Enjoy!

Wendy, I have to agree with the "hangover" phase, but loved Greg's description as well. I'm long past ever getting a thrill from driving a Porsche (or a BMW sports car), just hoping one of my sons will get over that sort of thing soon ;)

hi Wendy, we returned home nearly three weeks ago from a trip that included an Athens to Istanbul mariner cruise. I was finding it very hard to settle back into "real life" when I found an article that suggests it takes about one and one half times the vacation time to resettle back to normal life. I have seen the term post cruise depression in some of the cc threads and wonder what others have experienced? regards amanda

Oh definitely there's post-cruise depression. Although I'm hoping that now that we're both retired, that will be mitigated somewhat, since it's going to be all parties, all the time (I hope!)

There's also about a week after we get home when I wake up thinking I'm on the ship, and the room is rocking. I love that--I miss the movement of the ship, and wish that my homes did that.

We, too, read that article and thought it was interesting because Linda loves the planning part and the anticipation (as well as the actual event) and Larry loves the actual event (of course, Linda does all the planning, LOL). Amanda, know exactly what you mean about post partum vacation blues (especially when we had to get back to work...retired now) and we would call it PVS (Post Vacation Syndrome). Linda & Larry in NJ

especially if you book it before leaving the ship.

Ohhh, don't ya know, that's why they DO it that way!!! (I'd bet you a clean grand that folks who are _not_ first-time cruisers book their next cruise onboard more often than those who are new to cruising....)

I know, extremely personally deeply well, that post-cruise depression, as I've called it. Others with whom I've cruised have no idea what I'm talking about. WHAAAAT!!???

Well, we seldom book on board but I do like to keep one in the chamber and two in the mag at all times:p. Right now we have a November 2011, cruise on Voyager booked, we are meeting our kids and their significant others at Disneyworld in Sept (booked), Skiiing in Feb (planning phase), and Navy -vs- Notre Dame on 1 September 2012 (preliminary planning phase). So our next cruise after this one may not be until 2013; but, other trips in the hopper. We have decided we are "experience junkies:D"

Greg

Archived