How do you feel about cell phones on cruises, read this

Received today from *****.com:I dont like it myself, I go on cruise to relax:

Do you dream of dialing home to check your voicemail while cruising through the South Pacific? Do you have an insatiable desire to text-message coworkers while killer whales breach off your balcony in Alaska?

Probably not, but soon you'll be able to, anyway.

For better or for worse, cruise lines such as Norwegian, the first to offer cell phone service at sea, are making it possible for guests to be connected no matter where they travel. As of today, nine cruise lines have announced that they will offer this new technology--Carnival, Crystal, Norwegian, Oceania Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Silversea, MSC Cruises and Regent Seven Seas.

Until recently, cruise passengers who wanted to make a call from the open sea had to bring their own satellite phones or use the ship's phones, generally paying $8 to $10 per minute. With the new technology, guests will be able to use their own cell phones and handhelds anywhere in the world. When a call is placed, it will be detected by cellular antennae onboard the ship and transferred to a satellite. The satellite redirects the call to a base station on land, and it is then routed through the cellular network, connecting the call within seconds.

The cost to install the necessary equipment is about $250,000 per ship and is paid for by the communications companies. Cruise passengers will not have any charges on their onboard accounts but will see the charges on monthly cellular phone bills. The cruise lines will receive a portion of what the communication company makes on every call.

The cost for the service will vary based on where the call is placed and which cellular phone network is being used. We've been told that most calls will cost $2 to $5 per minute. The cost for guests to send e-mail using handheld devices or text messages by phone will be a few cents per message.

Although the ability to use cell phones at sea is a welcome convenience for those who must stay in touch with the home or office, others are concerned that callers could become an annoyance to guests who are trying to relax and get away from it all. For that reason, a few cruise lines such as Princess, whose slogan is "Escape Completely," have decided not to jump on the bandwagon just yet. Silversea and Oceania are dealing with guests' concerns by creating "quiet zones" and restricting cell phone service to designated areas.

Yeah, I noticed that in my cruise compass, I couldn't help but scoff a tad. As I mentioned in a previous post on this subject, *most* of us aren't so important we need to be reachable 24/7...perhaps we need to get over ourselves :p What I loved about cruising was the fact that things like cell phones were gone and I didn't have to listen to annoying conversations as I lay out on the pool deck, gone are the days I guess :(

~Steph

I think the cruise lines need to rule that cell phones can only be used in your own cabin. I certainly would be annoyed by someone on their cell phone at the dining table next to me!! That is not what cruising is about.

Rick

I think the cruise lines need to rule that cell phones can only be used in your own cabin. I certainly would be annoyed by someone on their cell phone at the dining table next to me!! That is not what cruising is about.

Rick

I was going to use my cell phone to hold my chair while I ran back to my cabin to fix a drink.:D

Sorry.. Could not help myself.

Rick

Agreed! Geez, you can't even go to the grocery store without several people talking loudly on their cell phones. I can only imagine how many conversations we are going to be forced to listen to :mad:

###

i agree and disagree. i agree that i do not, nor will not use my cell phone while on a cruise. i dont even bring it on board with me, and the only reason my g/f brings it is to use as an alarm. i disagree, however that we will hear conversations while in the dining room or at the pool. YES, there may be the occasional conversation, but most people do not want to spend the money on roaming charges while at sea. also, i think most people will have tem for emergency use only, and to be contacted in an emergency. but thats just my opinion....for what its worth.

I do take my cell phone, but only because we have had an emergency onboard a cruiseship and I needed to call back to the states to make different travel arrangements.

However, my cell stays in my cabin, OFF. I don't want anyone concerning my business to be able to track me down in the carribean. :)

Agreed! Geez, you can't even go to the grocery store without several people talking loudly on their cell phones. I can only imagine how many conversations we are going to be forced to listen to :mad:

###

I am amazed at the number of people doing this in the store....and they can't walk a straight line and talk either! I finally had to ask a lady..."are they telling you what to buy?" It's ridiculous. I shop very early now because it's getting as dangerous in the store as it is on the road.

I guess it's a way of life, but I want to get "away from the things of man" when I go out to sea! Cell phones aren't going away I fear.

Karen

I take my phone with me everywhere. I keep it in my stateroom, and I think that most people are very careful not to disturb others. Of course there are always a few that make a good thing a hated thing. Before I leave, everyone knows that I'm on a cruise. If I get a phone call it is indeed an emergency. If I have an emergency, say like on a shore excursion or in any way, I want to be able to use my phone. I still use the internet on board the ship, but rarely exceed the $5 coupon in my crown and anchor coupon booklet. I like to cruise to get away from the hassle of everyday life. While away on a 7 night cruise I usually call home from one of the ports, just to make sure that someone is missing me!

Darlene

but most people do not want to spend the money on roaming charges while at sea. also, i think most people will have tem for emergency use only, and to be contacted in an emergency. but thats just my opinion....for what its worth.

I agree. I may send to kids a text message or two just to see how things are going, but the phone will definitely stay in the cabin.

Everyone in my family has a cell phone, except me! I really destest hearing people yapping away anywhere and everywhere and I do NOT want to hear that when I'm trying to relax on a cruise. While I certainly understand that some people need to keep connected, I don't thing they are a neccessity to most. They just need to learn to disconnect themselves for a week or so and relax.

I think the cruise lines need to rule that cell phones can only be used in your own cabin...

Let me preface by stating that cell phones at any dining venue are a pain. I really don't want to hear several conversations at once either.

But, do you really want the cruise lines to impliment one more rule they cannot enforce?

Look at the debates on shorts, smoking, smuggling alcohol and more. The one thing we often ignore is that cruises are a fraction in cost to what they were 30 years ago.

Let me give an example; I sailed on the Carnival Mardi Gras for high school graduation in 1976. The cost my parents paid for two double occupancy rooms was more then that the rates are today.

A huge array of ships, many destinations and cut rate pricing have made cruising within reach of millions more people since I was skinny and had long hair.

I just sailed the Freedom for a two-nighter in late May. I carried my Cingular cell phone in my pocket the entire time. The ability to speak to our teenage daughter and adult chaperone back home was very novel to say the least. I used the same manners aboard ship that I use at home. I will decline a call at a dinner table and when appropriate excuse myself to return the call.

The cruise industry chooses to ignore the rules in place now. Competition for your tourist dollar is what makes the prices what they are, and as a result I've been able to take my family on 13 cruises since 1986.

All of us on these boards want the elegance to return to cruising, formal dress and all the benefits of a first-class vacation. We'd better visit polyanna.com if we hope that will ever come true.

We will never infuse a dose of class in dress, manners or more in 3-7 nights at sea...

Now, if you want to debate or discuss this, call me when the wine is poured and we can argue... :)

After incurring onboard and shore phone charges of over over $500 when DH's mother went into the hospital while we were enroute to a 12 day Panama Canal cruise, we are thrilled that cell phone service will be available. We won't ever use it for casual conversations except maybe when we're sitting on our balcony enjoying a particularly beautiful sunset and want to gloat a little!

It's a two-edged sword though. The relatively inexpensive charges on some of the plans might tempt some folks to talk more and I too don't want to hear cell phones in the dining room.

MIL passed away two weeks after we returned home from our cruise by the way. Since then we really want an easier way to be in touch in case of emergencies.

We sailed on Majesty of the Seas on June 5 and they already had this service. The wife and I used the cell phone once a day to call our son who was at home by himself and only in our room.

It was a great comfort being able to check in with him each day and not to mention the piece of mind knowing that he could get hold of us if there was an emergency.

I would be very disappointed if the use of cell phones became common place on cruise ships. In my opinion I don't think it will because people go on cruises to get away and relax. Sure you might get the occasional adult that thinks it's OK to use their phone anywhere they want, but that's no different then the few people that get drunk and act like idiots, or the smokers (I'm one) that don't abide by the non-smoking signs, etc, etc, etc.

I honestly can not remember seeing one person on their cell phone during the entire 4 night cruise on the Majesty.

Ratt

I hope if you are sitting on your balcony, chatting away on your cell phone, you are not next door to me because I might just reach around the barrier, grab that phone from your ear and throw it in the water! One of the things I LOVED about cruising was the peacefulness, especially out on the balconies. It's bad enough when people are out there on their phones while we're in port (and by the way, why does everyone have to talk SO LOUD when they're using a cell phone?), but now they'll be out there on sea days too!!! There are so few places left for escape!

Cingular service was available on Navigator of the Seas on 7/8/06 cruise...Wife got text messages and calls throughout the cruise...we did leave it in our room so as not to bother others...don't think that will be the norm though:(

Archived