Oil prices down under $90 any relief from fuel surcharge?

hammsz

The 1 year forcast has it at 113.00 a barrel, OPEC is really screwing us over big time.

Its time to start building the Flex Fuel cars. This will help big time as you can switch fuels when ever one price of fuel is higher then the other.

A flex-fuel vehicle, or FFV, is a vehicle that is capable of running on either gasoline or E85, which is a blend of 85-percent ethanol.

Fred

A flex vehicle would be nice. That way you could put some competition on the oil companies.

A hybrid does not do that because you are still dependent on oil no matter how much you run on the electric motor.

As for will they drop the fuel surcharge. No. Cruise lines do not buy on a day to day basis. They contract for a huge amount at a time. Therefore, they will have to hedge against the very real chance the fuel will be even higher when the next time to buy comes up.

On a side note, the fuel cost is even hitting those working in the oil industry. My son works for Haliburton. They have been known for throwing a bit of money around. They usually have these HUGE family & friends Christmas parties. Last year they rented the zoo and put on a big feast. This year the party has been cancelled due to the cost. This was cancelled AFTER the invitations had been sent. No word yet on what they will do instead, if anything.

The 1 year forcast has it at 113.00 a barrel, OPEC is really screwing us over big time.

Its time to start building the Flex Fuel cars. This will help big time as you can switch fuels when ever one price of fuel is higher then the other.

A flex-fuel vehicle, or FFV, is a vehicle that is capable of running on either gasoline or E85, which is a blend of 85-percent ethanol.

Flex fuel vehicles are somewhat out there now. Too bad ethanol is NOT the answer to our NRG needs. It takes a lot of corn and land to produce the equivalent of 1 barrel of crude. You are robbing peter to pay paul. Check out the price of beef, milk and anything related to the consumption of corn. Maybe someday the ships will run another source of power perhaps nuclear, who knows the navy does.

When oil drops below 80 bucks are they going to take it off? I dont think so.

Probably not as the price of crude was in the low 70s just prior to this surcharge coming into play.

I'm betting that when the prices abate, as we all know they must, the surcharge will vanish.

No doubt when it drops to $50/barrel, they will give us rebates on our cruise fare...:D

As far as alternate fuels... electric or H fuel vehicles are the future. Not Ethanol.

If we spent what we spend in Iraq on TRULY encouraging and researching renewable energy resources, we would then be investing in peace (by eventually cutting down A LOT of money going to oil rich countries - thus funding the "ENEMY")...:eek:

Tom

Flex fuel vehicles are somewhat out there now. Too bad ethanol is NOT the answer to our NRG needs. It takes a lot of corn and land to produce the equivalent of 1 barrel of crude. You are robbing peter to pay paul. Check out the price of beef, milk and anything related to the consumption of corn. Maybe someday the ships will run another source of power perhaps nuclear, who knows the navy does.

Although it's rather off topic I think I need to respond.

E85 is currently carrying a government subsidy, I believe at $.60/gal. The concept it to make the fuel more palatable to the general public as it's introduced. E85 has only 75% of the specific energy of gasoline resulting in fuel economy numbers that are 25% worse than with gas, ie, your car gets 20 mpg, with E85 (if your vehicle is capable of using it...) your mileage would drop to 15 mpg.

There are many more promising solutions approaching the point of being marketable. Fuel cell vehicles are, even now, wandering the streets of California in the hands of average citizens thanks to GMs test of the Equinox hydrogen platform.

Although additional sources are being discovered for the production of ethanol it's still remarkably expensive to produce.

Open more refineries, increase the ability to refine crude, increase the supply of gasoline and the price will once again fall independent, to some degree, from the price of crude.

Don't get me wrong, E85 is part of the solution, just not the entire answer.

Just my $.02...

We now return you to your previous discussion...

;)

i read somewhere that if the price of a barrel of oil goes below a certain price and remains that way for more than 30 days, carnival corp. will remove the supplement altogether. i wonder what that price is...

Yea, I think that price is about $60 a barrel. OP is dreaming I think.

No doubt when it drops to $50/barrel, they will give us rebates on our cruise fare...:D

As far as alternate fuels... electric or H fuel vehicles are the future. Not Ethanol.

If we spent what we spend in Iraq on TRULY encouraging and researching renewable energy resources, we would then be investing in peace (by eventually cutting down A LOT of money going to oil rich countries - thus funding the "ENEMY")...:eek:

Agreed, ethanol is a ban -daid at best. Hyrdrogen is the answer. Unlimited supply and virtually 0 emissions. Now if they just figure out a cheap way to remove it from water!!

Agreed, ethanol is a ban -daid at best. Hyrdrogen is the answer. Unlimited supply and virtually 0 emissions. Now if they just figure out a cheap way to remove it from water!!

I read just recently that a company, a US based company, has discovered a method to release significant amounts of hydrogen using acetic acid... vinegar. The efficiency rate is supposed to be vastly higher than any other method yet tried. The return is about 30% higher than the energy investment. Sounds promising.

Now I have to slap myself on the hand for dragging this thread so far off topic... Sorry, Randy... :o

E85 has only 75% of the specific energy of gasoline resulting in fuel economy numbers that are 25% worse than with gas, ie, your car gets 20 mpg, with E85 (if your vehicle is capable of using it...) your mileage would drop to 15 mpg.

You are 100% correct, I was just doing reseach and was excited about buying the E85 Conversion kit, then I read the Edmound report. The fuel rate in the car dropped big time causing you to fill up more costing you more. There is currently only 2 E85 gas pumps in San Diego and both are not close to me.

Read the Gas vs E85 Comparison report here from Edmunds.com, they did a run from San Diego to Vegas and back using both fuels.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/alternativefuels/articles/120863/article.html

Fred

I read just recently that a company, a US based company, has discovered a method to release significant amounts of hydrogen using acetic acid... vinegar. The efficiency rate is supposed to be vastly higher than any other method yet tried. The return is about 30% higher than the energy investment. Sounds promising.

Now I have to slap myself on the hand for dragging this thread so far off topic... Sorry, Randy... :o

MACH, if you would be so kind as to edit your post so that it does not appear that you were quoting me (see your post #14)... THANKS!

Tom

A flex vehicle would be nice. That way you could put some competition on the oil companies.

A hybrid does not do that because you are still dependent on oil no matter how much you run on the electric motor.

I agree that we need to keep exploring alternative fuel vehicles, but hybrids are a good way in the mean time to reduce your consumption. I bought mine in June and am only filling up once every 5 or 6 weeks. Prior to that I drove a smaller (and fairly fuel effecient) car and was filling up every 2-3 weeks. It's also great knowing that I'm sitting at a stoplight or stuck in traffic and emitting no pollution at that time.:D

Tom

Amen!!!!:)

MACH, if you would be so kind as to edit your post so that it does not appear that you were quoting me (see your post #14)... THANKS!

Tom

Tom, my apologies. That was a foible in the board, no effort on my part to misquote you or attribute the comment to you. In fact, when I tried to edit my post it simply vanished!

This board has been unpredictable all day, to say the least.

You have to evaluate your driving to say if a hybrid is better.

For me, living in a rural area, my Honda Civic at 41mpg is the better choice.

A hybrid would have cost me $10,000 more and about the only time I would be running on the electric motor would be coming out of my drive way.

If I lived in a city, I would have probably gone with the hybrid, but I think my civic works better for me now.

I think hydrogen will be the ultimate answer, but there are problems to work out.

One of the co-presenters on my favorite tv show (Top Gear) says that whoever figures out how to store hydrogen will be the richest person in the world.

I think about it everyday.

Tom, my apologies. That was a foible in the board, no effort on my part to misquote you or attribute the comment to you. In fact, when I tried to edit my post it simply vanished!

This board has been unpredictable all day, to say the least.

Not a problem at all - I often find that when quoting and then editing within that quote, that it's very easy to mess up the "[/ quote ]" stuff!!!

Tom

Not a problem at all - I often find that when quoting and then editing within that quote, that it's very easy to mess up the "[/ quote ]" stuff!!!

Tom

That would make me feel better had I attempted to edit the quote! It was press the 'quote' button and reply!

As I mentioned, the board has been giving me fits all day, this forum, and the ones that I host... nuts...

Archived