Cabin Release

10XCruiser

Any idea as to when travel agencies/travel companies release held cabins prior to sailing? 30 -60-90 days out from sailing? I am hoping some cabins will be released and we can have some possible upgrade options soon. Thanks for any input.

If there are actual blocks of cabins being held (I've heard both side's) I doubt the cruise line's would allow it past final payment date. If the idea is to sail as full as possible allowing TA's to hold cabins past the date final payment would be due doesn't make a lot of sense for a business.

Still learning how the whole holding/releasing cabins thing works...following this thread.

travel agents can request 10 or more cabins from the NCL that is in a "on hold" status. these cabins is only bookable from this travel agent. As the cruise gets closer, any unsold cabins is released back to NCL for regular bookings

when a travel agent holds these cabins, they can sometimes advertise a cheaper rate as the cruise line might consider it a group rate

If there are actual blocks of cabins being held (I've heard both side's) I doubt the cruise line's would allow it past final payment date. If the idea is to sail as full as possible allowing TA's to hold cabins past the date final payment would be due doesn't make a lot of sense for a business.

Aside from what any "blocks" of cabins might be held, some regular individuals book cabins/suites far in advance, and then, as the cruise date approaches, they may not be able to travel on those dates, or they may have found something else they prefer.

Then... just before final payment/when a penalty kicks in (these may be the same or different, depending upon the cruise line), some of those holding cabins/suites may release them.

We do this occasionally.

GC

I would wonder if a power broker big box TA has more clout to manipulate the holding

of cabins than the Mom & Pop corner TA with limited marketing resources ?

Still yet the cabins can't be on indefinite hold -

when the ship sails with empty cabins it is like airline flight departing with empty seats -

it is a perishable market rendering NO YIELD - maybe some last minute standby stuff

but the last minute fares are probably peanuts and I don't hear much about standbys

waiting for their ship - airlines yes as in non-revenue standbys and now with federal

security scrutiny passenger names must be on a manifest several hours (days) before

departure.

There has got to be more here than meets the eye - - -

My TA can put a hold on a cabin that I have found attractive for 48 hours and then

must return it to inventory if there is no action to reserve it.

I might add that my TA maybe classed as one of the Mom & Pop operations.

So when you are browsing the NCL website or that of your TA you may see a cabin

disappear only to reappear a couple of days later - sorry found a better cabin/price etc.

Up to the 2 days before sailing I would not give up on getting that dream cabin anything

is possible but arranging to get to the ship on time is another thing.