Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2010 - all lines...

franski

Hi there -

There was a similar thread started in February 2009 for the 2009 Christmas markets... And it seemed to be quite active. I thought I would wait until June to post, but given that there are posts for cruises in 2011 already, I guess this really isn't too early. :D Also - there is a thread by Victoria Cruiser asking about Christmas markets, so this thread may be some help to her as well...

We are booked with Uniworld for the Rhine Holiday Markets --> Cologne to Basel. We leave on November 29th.

Anyone else booked for the Christmas markets this year???

We travelled with AMA last October - Budapest to Prague. The trip was amazing... I understand that the market in Nuremberg has unique items - as does the market in Bratislava...

I was tempted to book something that took us back to Nuremberg, but thought I would like to see another part of Europe. I am excited that Cologne has *5* Christmas markets!!!

Already planning to have lots of space for my shopping "treasures" --> will be taking bubble wrap, tissue etc. Started warning my husband that I may need some space in his suitcase as well....

I did find a website that is interesting --> covers the Christmas Markets in Germany. See below!!!

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

Fran

Ahhhh Fran...I see you are a shopping pro! Thanks for getting this thread started! I am getting so excited!!!

My husband and I will be on the River Queen on December 20, the same itinerary as Franksi. It is our first river cruise and first time in Germany. When we disemabark, we will be taking the train from Cologne to Paris for 5 nights. It will be our first time in Paris, too.

I really don't want to overpack for this trip and would like to avoid formal attire for my husband. We'll be away for two weeks and like Franksi, would like to have some nooks and cranies to stash my treasures! How out of place would he be during the two formal dinners if he doesn't wear a jacket?

Fran, Thank you for starting this thread. I went back and read the threads from 2009 and 2008. There is a wealth of info in them.

We aren't taking a Christmas market cruise per se since our cruise is leaving the US Nov. 15. We will have 3 nights in Paris before heading to Trier, then going up the Rhine to Amsterdam. We are extending 2 nights there. Then I go home and DH has 3 weeks of business in the Netherlands. However I was very excited to see that according to the internet 3 of our ports will have their markets open when we are there. Kolblenz opens on the 19th and Rudesheim and Cologne open on the 22nd.I know that we will try to hit these markets while we are there. Yipee!!!

I have already ordered some boots and a new water resistant coat. May not need them, but better prepared than sorry. They are waterproof to keep my feet dry in the rain and nice and warm

We will be on the Amalegro. It will be DH first River cruise. My Mother and I did a Viking cruise of Holland several years ago.

I am going to try to pack light. DH will be gone for 5 weeks, so his packing will be more of a challenge. Layering sounds like the way to go. I also plan on clothes that can be worn more than once. DH will take a sport coat, he'll need it for work anyway, but will wear it with a merino wool. I plan on black slacks and a somewhat sparkley top. So much for the captains dinner.

I'm reading everything I can about river cruising and appreciate any insights anyone can give us. Just 5 1/2 months! It will go quick!

Carol

Hi Everyone:

We will be traveling Dec. 8th from Nuremberg on Uniworld's River Countess after spending 3 days in Rome followed by 3 days in Prague.

We booked this so long ago it hasn't quite hit me yet. Maybe all of you can get me in the spirit! We also have our son's wedding taking place in Santa Fe NM, two weeks after we return home...that event popped up after we booked this trip! Should be an exciting December.

I really don't want to overpack for this trip and would like to avoid formal attire for my husband. We'll be away for two weeks and like Franksi, would like to have some nooks and cranies to stash my treasures! How out of place would he be during the two formal dinners if he doesn't wear a jacket?

Hi Windy,

None at all. On the two Christmas markets cruises we have taken with Uniworld, at best around 30 percent of men wore jackets to dinner. A dress shirt and slacks is the norm. If he want to dress it up a bit, he can wear a sweater to dinner.

Joe

Hi Windy,

None at all. On the two Christmas markets cruises we have taken with Uniworld, at best around 30 percent of men wore jackets to dinner. A dress shirt and slacks is the norm. If he want to dress it up a bit, he can wear a sweater to dinner.

Joe

Thanks for the speedy response, Joe. It will be a relief not to have to pack formal wear. The formal nights don't hold the allure they once did for me. My lack of interest combined with luggage restrictions have made me move in the direction of packing as lightly as I can!

I had my husband take a sport coat for our 1st 2 river cruises, but don't know that I will insist this time... (just think of all the "things" I can pack in that extra space!!! :D ). Given that we are travelling in November/December, I may just make sure that he has a nice sweater (or 2) and a couple of dress shirts. Being on the River Queen we do have laundry facilities if we need them.

Carol - it is a good thing that you are travelling towards Cologne if the markets don't open until part way through your trip... There are at least 5 markets in Cologne --> so there is lots of shopping!!!

condocat - when we were in Prague last year, I found a shop that had the most unique ornaments made from garnets chips. They mixed the chips with resin, and put them into metal frames. Not particularly expensive --> and something that you won't find just anywhere. We also found this great pastry stall in old Town - just by the Astronomical clock - where they put dough on a wooden dowel, rolled it in sugar and nuts, and then spun it over a fire until it was cooked... Hmmmmm - SO good!! Then went into the shop that makes hard candies (they make them in the window....) and bought a package with mixed fruit flavours.

I really want to go back to Prague some day...

Fran

Thank you Fran for your shopping tips about Prague! I have heard some wonderful things so far about this city. I'm looking forward to exploring all it has to offer, especially during this time of year. It still seems so far away until we go....

Fran, We were limited by my DH work schedule as to when we could travel. I am thrilled that we will get to see 3 markets. In some ways it might be good the way it is. I'm not sure if my DH would want to spend everyday in Christmas Markets, so this will give us a lot of variety.( I know I would but that's another story.)

This spring we were on a TA to La Havre, but didn't make it into Paris. I am so looking forward to having a chance to be there for our 3 nights before heading over to Trier. I want to see some art museums and absorb some French culture. I wish we would hit some snow, but that's not too likely. Warm clothes will still be needed though.

Has anyone started a list of what to pack yet? I am little compulsive with lists and more lists. I want to order some long underwear in case it gets really cold or damp. The planning is half of the fun to me. I also really enjoy getting to bounce ideas off of others taking similar trips. So happy planning to all. I hope this thread becomes very active!

Carol

Carol, don't order long underware. Just buy cuddle duds at a local shop. They are quite warm--even used them in Antartica. If you will be in Nurnberg, don't forget the prune people. Only market that sells them. Can't believe it has been almost 2 years since our wonderful Christmas market cruise. Pat

Carol:

When you think of long underwear, I think most people think of heavy flannel type undergarmets. The best thing I ever bought was silk long underwear. They are very lightweight and keep you very warm if you need them, but if it's warm you don't sweat. They also make great PJs! I would definitely invest in a pair and bring them with you. Just a thought!

Carol - Do you know yet where you are staying in Paris?? I am sure that there will be lots of suggestions of things to do - and geography might help you decide where to go and what to see... Paris is so big - you really need to identify your "must see" items, and go from there. I have been to Paris 3 times, and still feel as if I have only scratched the surface...

My DH and I have started discussing coats and footwear. I will need a new jacket, so will start looking early in the fall. I want something that has a waterproof outer layer, with one or two inner layers for warmth. Already bought a new purse (cross body, with an umbrella...). We know that we need warm shoes - that are good for walking. Just not sure if we need to go the winter boot route, or if sturdy shoes with warm socks will be enough.

Fran

We leave for Germany on Thanksgiving Day and will spend 4 nights in Berlin before embarking on an 11 cruise on Avalon Luminary. We did a much shorter version (5 nights) last year and have enjoyed several land trips to the markets as well.

My staples are my UGGs boots for daytime and a nicer pair of mid heel leather boots for evening. I pack athletic shoes for workouts and that is it for the shoes. Good gloves, scarves, hats, earmuffs and I wear a full length down coat that is waterproof and very lightweight. I also bring a Marmot thigh length jacket for warmer days - space bags make these items take up no space at all as we pack light.

For dinner I wear black slacks and a turtleneck or nice sweater most nights and occasionally a pair of dark denim jeans and boots. Scarves and belts add some bling. DH will wear dress slacks, turtleneck or long sleeve button down to dinner. On our cruise, sport coats could be counted on one hand.

This year we have three nights in Nuremberg mid trip and are going to leave the boat for part of the time and overnight in Heidelberg or Cologne. We were not crazy about Nuremberg and want to visit a new city or two this trip so this will be a good opportunity to do so.

It's not far off now and we talk about it all the time. We really love Berlin and cannot wait to get back there this year and start our trip in one of our favorite cities in Europe.

pacmom and condocat, Thanks for the advice about long underwear. I think I will look into some silk underwear. We live in VA and do have snow, so I will be able to use it in the winter here.

Fran, We will be staying in Le Meridian Etoile in Paris. That is the hotel that AMA is currently using. It is near the Arche De Triamph (sic). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Carol

We leave for Germany on Thanksgiving Day and will spend 4 nights in Berlin before embarking on an 11 cruise on Avalon Luminary. We did a much shorter version (5 nights) last year and have enjoyed several land trips to the markets as well.

My staples are my UGGs boots for daytime and a nicer pair of mid heel leather boots for evening. I pack athletic shoes for workouts and that is it for the shoes. Good gloves, scarves, hats, earmuffs and I wear a full length down coat that is waterproof and very lightweight. I also bring a Marmot thigh length jacket for warmer days - space bags make these items take up no space at all as we pack light.

For dinner I wear black slacks and a turtleneck or nice sweater most nights and occasionally a pair of dark denim jeans and boots. Scarves and belts add some bling. DH will wear dress slacks, turtleneck or long sleeve button down to dinner. On our cruise, sport coats could be counted on one hand.

This year we have three nights in Nuremberg mid trip and are going to leave the boat for part of the time and overnight in Heidelberg or Cologne. We were not crazy about Nuremberg and want to visit a new city or two this trip so this will be a good opportunity to do so.

It's not far off now and we talk about it all the time. We really love Berlin and cannot wait to get back there this year and start our trip in one of our favorite cities in Europe.

I looked up the dates for Berlin Christmas Market (22 Nov - 31 Dec) and would suggest as a field trip, going to Dresden, which isn't too far from Berlin. Dresden's market runs from 26 Nov - 24 Dec. They also have prune dolls there, but not as nice and varied as Nuremberg's. Dresden also has the world's largest pyramid. http://gogermany.about.com/od/picturesofgermany/ig/Dresden-Photo-Gallery/Christmas-Market-Dresden.htm

We did a special side trip last year on our way to Prague to start our cruise.

carol - it looks as if you are quite central in Paris... Close to the Eiffel Tower, and able to walk along the Champs d'Elysee. If you went down towards the Louvre, you could also visit Notre Dame, see the Obelisk in the Place de la Concorde and the Orangerie. Lots to do/see in a relatively small geographic area. You aren't too far from Montmartre either, I believe.

On one visit, we used the HOHO (Hop On, Hop off) buses - as it was a good way to see a large area in a short period of time.

About three weeks ago or so, on the home page of Cruise Critic, there was an articile on Christmas Markets. It was very well written and had a lot of info. I printed it out but didn't save the article. Perhaps you can do a search for it and find it.

Karen

Hi Everyone! How very exciting all of the sites are. We can hardly wait. On the other hand, planning is so much fun. We just got back from a short trip to Florida to visit my Mother who is 89. Every time I go I am mindful that it might be the last time.

Fran, Thank you for the info about Paris. We had already thought about the HOHO bus to get an overview of the city. Illuminations of Paris also sounds interesting. Does anyone know what the weather is usually like in the middle of Nov.?

Thanks for all of the help'

Carol

I looked up the dates for Berlin Christmas Market (22 Nov - 31 Dec) and would suggest as a field trip, going to Dresden, which isn't too far from Berlin. Dresden's market runs from 26 Nov - 24 Dec. They also have prune dolls there, but not as nice and varied as Nuremberg's. Dresden also has the world's largest pyramid. http://gogermany.about.com/od/picturesofgermany/ig/Dresden-Photo-Gallery/Christmas-Market-Dresden.htm

We did a special side trip last year on our way to Prague to start our cruise.

We did visit Dresden last year while staying in Berlin. The town had a LOT of construction going on when we were there.

This year we plan to visit Leipzig as a day trip from Berlin.

We did consider Prague for a couple of days this year but think we are going to Cologne instead.

Archived