Safest beach for 60+ year old woman traveling by herself

Luv my furbaby

Holland House has a good restaurant , right on the boardwalk - about a two minute walk fro where the water taxi from the cruise pier let’s you off. Safe, calm water, chair and umbrella rentals. The only problem might be questionable water quality - particularly after heavy rains bring run off.

Certainly the easiest beach to get to on the island. ; a block away from amazing shopping if that is your thing.

Holland House has a good restaurant , right on the boardwalk - about a two minute walk fro where the water taxi from the cruise pier let’s you off. Safe, calm water, chair and umbrella rentals. The only problem might be questionable water quality - particularly after heavy rains bring run off.

Certainly the easiest beach to get to on the island. ; a block away from amazing shopping if that is your thing.

The water taxi now seems to stop first at the other area (right of the main pier) not the main pier in Philipsburg.... Best to advise to wait for that stop. Some around us asked why we weren't getting off and we told them we were waiting to get off at the next stop...they certainly didn't tell those getting off that there was another stop

We just returned and were surprised that there were actually three places the water taxi now uses.

FYI for anyone else is not to stand in the long line to get water taxi tickets...just walk down and easily purchase them by the pickup spot no lines there.

Was also surprised at the two new large buildings there now that have taken up space where you used to buy water taxi tickets. And shopping not so amazing any longer...very sad at the change to this beautiful port from hurricane Maria...but the jewelry stores and Diamonds International are up and running. Actually one of the water taxi boats was a floating add for DI.

Edited by Ashland

this is my 1st time traveling to St Martian by myself (though have been other times). I looking for a safe beach to go to. I’ve heard Holland House is good. How would I get there from cruise terminal?

Thanks All

In my opinion, you would be perfectly safe going to Orient Beach - Bikini or another place. If you are there during the hours of a normal port-of-call stop, you are as safe going to Orient as Great Bay - because the only "risk" at either place would be an extremely random extremely unusual event. Head to the taxi stand and get with other people heading to Orient - introduce yourself to the other cruisers heading to Orient. I have nothing against Holland House, but for a cruiser with just 8 or so hours on the island, I personally cannot see spending the whole day in Philipsburg - especially if you have been to the island before and have some experience there.

Thanks for the information, everyone! Although I'm not the original poster, my situation is very similar and I will be visiting St. Maarten for the first time this winter. And I'm also looking for some nice & safe beach options reachable from the port by ferry or shared taxi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My answer would depend on whether you want to swim.  Orient Beach is still coming back from last years awful hurricane but is still a nice beach with some facilities.  But if it’s windy then Orient,s water can be a bit rough.  Great Bay is right in town and easy to access via the cheap water taxi or a 1/2 mile stroll from the port.  The water is usually very calm but can get polluted if there have been some major rain storms.  Mullet Bay (a taxi ride away) will be calmer then Orient with very clean water.  But the entry is a bit steeper then at Orient or Great Bay.  All these places are very safe.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...