Seattle or Vancouver?

rebbie123

I am planning an Alaska cruise for next summer. It will be for my parents (ages 73 and 79) and for me, my husband, and 2 kids (ages 11 and 15). My mom and I are prone to seasickness. I have heard that cruising out of Vancouver may provide us a smoother cruise. Does anyone have any experience with this? The cruise out of Seattle will be on the Westerdam and the cruise out of Vancouver will be on the Niew Amsterdam. Both go through Glacier Bay. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I am planning an Alaska cruise for next summer. It will be for my parents (ages 73 and 79) and for me, my husband, and 2 kids (ages 11 and 15). My mom and I are prone to seasickness. I have heard that cruising out of Vancouver may provide us a smoother cruise. Does anyone have any experience with this? The cruise out of Seattle will be on the Westerdam and the cruise out of Vancouver will be on the Niew Amsterdam. Both go through Glacier Bay. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Inside passage or not there isn't a HUGE difference with the movement. It's more based on just weather at the time.

However while Westerdam is a favorite ship of mine Nieuw Amsterdam is incredible. I would pick that ship in a heartbeat

I have done both and the inside passage was considerably smoother.....which makes sense. The inside passage protects you from the open sea. However, you do eventually get out into open water.

That is not to say that there was anything wrong with the Ooosterdam. We were not bothered by the movement.

IMO, the biggest difference in these two itineraries is the beauty of the inside passage cruising on the Vancouver sailings.

The first and last sea days of the Seattle sailings are spent sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island. We've experienced some moderate seas that caused some discomfort for DW on the Seattle sailings.

By contrast, the Vancouver sailings provide much more scenic sailing through the Inside Passage on the first and last sea days. And DW has never experienced any seasickness on these sailings.

As ever one has said about the smooth sailing on the Vancouver which is true. There is something else that is a big thing. I have been on both several tines and had a great time on them. I think the cost is a big difference The air fare and the times of the flights are not good , at least from Texas. Also have to fool with US customs. The nice Hotels in Vancouver are very hi. All this does not keep me from going out of Vancouver, but it is easer going out of Seattle.

Inside passage or not there isn't a HUGE difference with the movement. It's more based on just weather at the time.

However while Westerdam is a favorite ship of mine Nieuw Amsterdam is incredible. I would pick that ship in a heartbeat

I agree 100%. I've done both itineraries and had more movement on the Vancouver route BUT that was because of a terrible storm. So, weather has a huge impact.

I agree 100%. I've done both itineraries and had more movement on the Vancouver route BUT that was because of a terrible storm. So, weather has a huge impact.

Precisely. The LOGIC of why Vancouver/Inside Passage can be better is legitimate... but if the weather is great then you won't have any motion on either.

And even if there is motion a ship that size can handle quite a bit before it starts causing an issue around the ship

Edited by InTheWASide

I personally like cruising out of Vancouver more then Seattle. I think it is more scenic going out of Vancouver also rather then Seattle, but in saying that it is easier and cheaper to fly into Seattle then Vancouver.

What we do to solve the travel issue is to fly in and out of Seattle, spend a pre and post night there, and commute to and from Vancouver on AmTrak or use the Quick Shuttle.

The difference in airfare price usually offsets the cost of the pre and post cruise stays.

What we do to solve the travel issue is to fly in and out of Seattle, spend a pre and post night there, and commute to and from Vancouver on AmTrak or use the Quick Shuttle.

The difference in airfare price usually offsets the cost of the pre and post cruise stays.

Yeah, that was working but we found the last time we took Hal's shuttle down to Seattle (last year) the cost had jumped again to $75. apiece. In my estimation you might as well now fly in and out of Vancouver, your not saving any money taking a 3-4 hour bus ride at that price.

We have cruised both out of Seattle and Vancouver many times.

And we have sailed on the Westerdam many times including Alaska and we have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Nieuw Amsterdam has the Sick Den and Tamarind Restaurant which the Westerdam doesn't have.

Have you checked air fare to both Seattle and Vancouver?

We have cruised both out of Seattle and Vancouver many times.

And we have sailed on the Westerdam many times including Alaska and we have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Nieuw Amsterdam has the 4"]Sick[/u] Den and Tamarind Restaurant which the Westerdam doesn't have.

Have you checked air fare to both Seattle and Vancouver?

?Silk (Den) :confused:

Edited by GeriatricNurse

Wow!! Thanks for such great advice! I think I may lean toward Vancouver. I have never been there and it may be fun to plan a pre or post cruise trip there. I have sailed on the Niew Amsterdam several times and the Tamarind Restaurant has always been great! My kids also love the NYC taxi cab in club HAL. I know you can't predict how rough the water will be, but I'm more inclined to do the route that keeps us out of the ocean as much as possible. Just in case, I always travel with my sea bands and bonnine.

We've done a few cruises out of each of these ports and have found that either route can be rough or smooth, depending on the weather. For a departure city, however, we prefer Vancouver for its many,many interesting things to see and do before or after a cruise ... the only negative IMO is that flying into/out of Vancouver is more expensive than going into or out of Seattle ... hotels, restaurants and attractions are similarly (high) priced in both cities, while cab rides in Vancouver seemed to me to be a bit cheaper than in Seattle. Whichever you choose, I'm certain you'll have a great time ... smooth sailing ...

Rod

I noticed a significant difference in wave action when departing the inside passage on my August trips.

[YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Vancouver is the top choice! Beautiful city easy flight from anywhere. if you cant get a good rate try flying to L.A. or S.F. and then up to Vancouver.

no sea trouble from either port. hotels in Seattle are 240-300 a night, no bargains.

Another vote for the RT from Vancouver. It's a spectacular city, the inside passage is a highlight for me and enhances the cruise experience. I also love the Nieuw Amsterdam..it's a beautiful ship and the added venues, Tamarind and Silk Den, are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the motion sickness known, it is vital to take precautions, consult with your health care providers.

In my experience, my most "motion" Alaska cruises were round trip Vancouver. :) This is based on my sailing over 20 years in Alaska, out of both Seattle and Vancouver, including one way cruises, about 50 times. :)

Another recommendation for Vancouver.

While the extra stop in Victoria ( required by US law, the PVSA ) may seem attractive,

it is late on the last day of the voyage when you will be packing up. It also affects the time in other ports.

Easiest trip I took was flying to Vancouver, overnight at the PanPacific, bellman picks up laggage direct to ship, transfer ot the port by ELEVATOR.