Playa Del Carmen replaces Cozumel for Conquest

CordovaMom

If that were me, I would cancel.

We've waited for this cruise for a long time, it's our 30th wedding anniversary and first vacation in 25 years without kids, we're not cancelling for anything. We plan on enjoying ourselves no matter where we end up.

I wonder if the Conquest will continue to call on Playa del Carmen for several weeks, or if it will begin stopping at Cozumel after the 14th. I would think that Cozumel would be better equipped to accept some SMALLER ships at first to see how that goes. I'm not a huge fan of Playa del Carmen, but you can at least enjoy the beach right there for FREE then do some shopping - I'd prefer Costa Maya, but Playa del Carmen would be better IMO than going to Cozumel, at least for the next month or so.

:) I think it is awesome that the Conquest is diverting to Playa instead of Cozumel. Playa is by far nicer than Cozumel. Not NEAR as touristy and they offer wonderful excursions and fantastic shopping.

Have a great time!

Did'nt Playa also receive some Wilma damage? And they were also hit earlier this year. Well I am on the 11/7 Fascination and we shall se what it looks like. We spent a week at an AI in Playa last June, very nice.

We've waited for this cruise for a long time, it's our 30th wedding anniversary and first vacation in 25 years without kids, we're not cancelling for anything. We plan on enjoying ourselves no matter where we end up.

Oh, I get it! :D

Way better than a day at work. ;)

Thr ferry pier at Coz is also damaged.

I would love to understand why someone would love Coz soooo much m,ore than Playa thet they would cancel because of this change. If I could stay at either for a week; it would be Playa. It is a cool little town with many neat places to eat and drink. There are great ruins/cenotes/snorkel spots/ and Xceret is fantastic. All of these are very tedious to get to when stopping in Cozumel. I absolutly love Coz, and have had some of my best days of my life there.

We are scheduled to sail 4/30/06 so maybe Coz will be ready for the Conquest. Hope so, if not Costa May or Playa Del Carmin is ok with us. We have been to all three and did like Senor Frogs on the beach.

Unless something drastic occurs we do not plan to cancel.

We're so looking forward to the balcony/ocean/and of course the food and fun time for all.

I too heard about alot of damage at Playa. However I saw pictures of Coz right after Wilma and also as recently as yesterday and they are really making progress cleaning up and getting ready for tourists to return. We had a very nice time at Playa on our last cruise. Docked at Calica, (I'm sure it wasn't damaged very badly-kinda hard to tear up a gravel pit) rented a car, went to Tulum during the day, Playa that evening.

It's great to hear that they replaced the port with SOMETHING. It's certainly better than a 4th day at sea!

We aren't on Conquest until the first week of May, so I'm pretty sure we'll be in Cozumel, but I would be VERY HAPPY with Playa too!

We always plan on going on excursions on the mainland anyways. Cozumel doesn't offer much for us itself. Since it is the last port, I've already had plenty of "beach time" and another day at the beach seems a little boring. We like the ruins, nature tours, etc for this port instead.

Check out this link referring to the damage in Playa del Carmen.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Hurricane/0,,2-10-1942_1821611,00.html

It doesn't seem like Playa del Carmen seems a logical alternative. But, hey, I guess they know more than I do.

We will sail on the Conquest January 1st. Don't really know where we'll end up.

Our first cruise we docked in Calica and went to Playa del Carmen, and had a really fun time snorkeling. The reef there was in pretty bad shape when we went, but there were still lots of great sights to be had. I wouldn't be too disappointed with a switch - when your vacation is weather-dependant, you just have to go with it and make the best of it. :)

At one time Carnival would "stop" at Playa de Carmen for an hour or so to offload shore excursions then proceed to Cozumel, so if Carnival now stops there, they may be able to offer some of the same excursions that they had been offering Cozumel without putting the same "pressure" on the Cozumel piers.

Archived