Why do you bring booze onboard?

TexasHorseLady

Nothing better than my favorite cocktail on my balcony while my DW gets ready for dinner. Since you can purchase bottles had a high cost on the ship, I would also say to save a little money. Never had an issue and it is well worth the small risk of losing the bottle or picking it up at the end of the cruise.

First of all most cruise lines permit passengers to bring varying amounts of wine aboard so it is not smuggling to bring wine aboard in most instances. As for liquor, we have been sailing lately with Princess who seem to be pretty liberal about what the allow their customers to bring aboard. We do bring liquor aboard aboard to enjoy a cocktail on our balcony or at least in our cabin as we are getting ready for dinner but no question it certainly helps keep the OBA in line. We do however order a bottle of wine each evening with our dinner.:)

We have only cruised on Princess. We normally bring a small bottle or two, and mix on to enjoy in our cabin. We have always brought it in our checked luggage. And never had a problem. We also buy drinks and wine in the public areas. It is just more convenient for us. And never had a problem with breakage or bottle being taken. rlb

We've never considered bringing liquor on board, not even wine, which generally is allowed.

We do like to drink alcohol. But to us, drinking alcohol is a social activity, not something we'd ever do on our balcony, or in our cabin "while getting ready for dinner" (which seems to be a very popular activity!). We have a full liquor cabinet here at home, and a pretty decent (by our estimation! :D) wine cellar -- but unless we have guests, we rarely dip into any of it.

So we do drink on our cruises. Our biggest enjoyment is finding that comfortable spot near the piano player, or stringed quartet, and then keeping our glasses full. But we're also chatting with passers-by, getting into conversations with others around us, or just people-watching...

not hold up in our cabin sipping illicit booze!

People smuggle liquor on board because they like to cheat the line.

They think that saving a few dollars justifies their not living up to the terms of the contract they entered into when they booked their passage.

I'm sure I'll get flamed as some sort of objectional character; but the plain fact is that people smuggle because they are self-absorbed and do not believe that rules they do not like should apply to them.

They think that saving a few dollars justifies their not living up to the terms of the contract they entered into when they booked their passage.

I'm sure I'll get flamed as some sort of objectional character; but the plain fact is that people smuggle because they are self-absorbed and do not believe that rules they do not like should apply to them.

Two things hold true about your post: 1) you are certainly entitled to your opinion be it right or wrong, 2) to group everyone into your plain fact stereotype reflects strongly on how you view yourself.

Just curious, what do you wear to dinner on formal evenings?

Oh please!

The reason people do it is because there are no real consequences to getting caught. Get caught and lose access to the booze for the duration of the trip. There is no downside there.

Question for those who choose to smuggle: do you also smuggle alcohol into restaurants/clubs etc or food/drink into other venues which prohibit it (movies, festivals, etc) because they want you to buy it there?

It not, why is this a different situation?

This is NOT a judgmental, rhetorical, or sarcastic question. I realy do want to hear responses to this issue.

to us' date=' drinking alcohol is a [i']social[/i] activity, not something we'd ever do on our balcony, or in our cabin "while getting ready for dinner" (which seems to be a very popular activity!)

I have to confess, I always have a glass of red wine in the cabin while getting ready for dinner. In fact, I am not even sure I would know how to get ready for dinner without it! :D At home I somehow manage, but it's different on a cruiseship.

On our last cruise (Diamond Princess) the other 2 couples we were with brought on Champagne, wine, gin, vodka and mixers. Yes it was lovely cruisng in Alaska and having cocktails on the balcony:) But I don't think I would be bothered lugging on all the extras... (even though you can bring wine or champagne apparently on Princess - I don't think the other cruiselines are as obliging - I KNOW NCL isn't. Hey if that's what floats your boat (so to speak) ENJOY:)

Question for those who choose to smuggle: do you also smuggle alcohol into restaurants/clubs etc or food/drink into other venues which prohibit it (movies, festivals, etc) because they want you to buy it there?

This is NOT a judgmental, rhetorical, or sarcastic question. I realy do want to hear responses to this issue.

I have snuck a mini-bottle of wine into a concert where there was no alcohol. But this is a different situation than smuggling it on a ship because they weren't trying to sell alcohol there. I was not effecting their profit margin in the least. I am not as much concerned about someone prohibiting the consumption of alcohol anywhere...as much as I am about the guilt I would feel for "cheating" or trying to get away with not paying.

This is not necessarily true. We like to have a cocktail while we're getting ready for dinner, and on our balcony. I would gladly buy the rum the ship is selling if they offered something decent, but they don't.

Janette

We don't because we usually fly to port--and it's just too much hassle. A cruise ship isn't like a 'restaurant", tho...it's more like a "hotel", and in hotels, you can bring your own stuff.....you should be able to on a ship, as well.

However, I don't find sitting in my cabin, drinking, to be too enjoyable! I'd much rather "catch my buzz" at a bar with others! It's just more fun!

No, I do not. Nor do I ever drink my own outside of my cabin/balcony. I also bring drinks to hotel rooms and rented condos. Yes, I do think it is different. Personally I believe that the rule is to try to make sure that the drinking does not get out of hand. I also purchase a lot of wine and cocktails from the ships bars and dining room.

I follow the suggested dress code and I never reserve seats at the pool or theatre except for my DW.

Wow,, some posters have really mean attitudes,, for goodness sake , on some cruiselines( Princess that I know of for sure) it is absolutely FINE AND PERMITTED to take wine on board. So we do,, as we are not impressed by the lack of nice and reasonable French wines on the wine list.

We did not "smuggle " rum onboard,, but did order a bottle from Room Service. However,, they did not have the brand we prefer,, so will smuggle it on this time. It makes sense to bring what they do not have.

We are looking forward to being crimminals with no morals or ethics on the Ruby Princess this March,, watch out.. we're coming...LOL

WOW,

Be Nice !!!!!

navybankerteacher has not made any friends yet . I wonder why?

Typically there are two reasons someone would sneak alcohol onboard a cruise ship. The first is because you would like to enjoy a drink in your stateroom without having to either order room service or physically go to the bar to get one.

The second (and more popular) reason for sneaking alcohol on-board a cruise ship is to save money. It is no big secret that one of the biggest “extra” expenses incurred on-board a cruise ship is the bar tab. Order a couple of daily specials at the pool, a bottle of wine with dinner, and a cocktail in the evening and its pretty easy for a couple to spend a hundred dollars per day (or more) on drinks alone. In either situation, they will most likely also be purchasing drinks on-board as a matter of convenience.

The question about bringing alcohol into a restaurant is incongruous. Have you ever gone on a cruise for one evening or ever spent an entire week in a restaurant? On a cruise, you are pretty much a captive audience for the duration. Not the same thing, not even close. Hotels (with or without bars and restaurants) don’t seem to have a problem with people bringing booze into their hotel. So why do the cruise lines have a problem with it?

Simple. It's the bottom line. The cruise lines make most of their revenue from: Booze, Gambling, Shore excursions, Spa treatments, On-board shops, Laundry and Tips. If someone wants to save a few buck on their cruise vacation by taking their favorite alcoholic beverages on board, it doesn't matter to me and more importantly, it’s none of my business!

Yes, but ultimately those who do smuggle drinks on board affects the costs of those who don't.

By impacting into the profit margin per capita the shipping lines then have to increase their basic cruise cost to cover the reduction in expenditure of those who do smuggle.

If you get what I mean

Archived