Does anyone do the FOD/LGBT gatherings?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers
A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:28 PM.
Jackson, MS
15 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
We always try to attend, at least the first few evenings. To date, we have only cruised via RCCL. Our last cruise, it was a bit awkward. One gentleman was travelling with his daughter and her family, and he must have thought the FOD was just a way to hook up. After meeting him, he immediately started inquiring how it worked and and if people used the bulletin board just to post cabin numbers... Even after trying to explain to him it was just a meet and greet, he did not understand. The next day, was the Cruise Critic Roll Call in the Viking Lounge. He showed up for that, too. Sat next to us, and then seemed a little irked once he realized it was not just a LGBT event, even though he had signed up for the event here on the regular Roll Call forums and it was quite easy to see all the people commenting before and after him were obviously straight couples. As I said, just made for a bit of awkwardness.
We have never seen the biggest turnouts. Our next cruise is a 12 day in April on Celebrity Equinox, our first aboard Celebrity. We are getting maried onboard the ship before it leaves port. Hope to meet some new folks. Let me know if anyone else will be on the Equinox on it's 4/3/17 sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Doug

*****Past****
RC Liberty of the Seas, October 23, 2016
RC Freedom of the Seas, February 7, 2016
RC Serenade of the Seas, January 31, 2015
RC Oasis of the seas, March 24, 2012
RC Majesty of the Seas, April 25, 2011
Harrisburg area
1,474 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by Roofire
So to date we've only sailed on RCI, and have found the FOD meetings scheduled at strange times or not in the best venues. On the Allure it was 11pm in the nightclub, Explorer 2pm in the Champagne Bar and Anthem 9pm in the Bionic bar. I suspect like us people wandered in briefly and then left.

So we were wondering, not having had a successful experience to date, how do you break the ice? is there a host or are you left to your own devices?
We've also only sailed on RCI, and agree that the suggested times are not always the best. The card posted at guest services had the daily LGBT meet at 5 p.m. in one of the lounges. But that is just a suggestion, and you can post your own card with a time you like. As for the ones listed in the Cruise Compass, uncharacteristically (since I'm not usually a night owl), I went to the first night's 11 p.m. meetup in the Vortex club on Serenade and it was generally younger guys, late 20s to 30s (I'm in my 40s), but they were quite welcoming and chatted. A few danced to the DJ's tunes.

They do not seem to be hosted events, but since it was just a small group of people there, it seemed clear who was there for the LGBT mingle (bunch of male couples), and I just walked up and introduced myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since November 2008,
always on RCI—Adventure, Oasis, Freedom, Allure, Explorer, Vision, Serenade—
as well as an upcoming cruise Freedom in November 2017
London, UK
155 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by DDinMS
We always try to attend, at least the first few evenings. To date, we have only cruised via RCCL. Our last cruise, it was a bit awkward. One gentleman was travelling with his daughter and her family, and he must have thought the FOD was just a way to hook up. After meeting him, he immediately started inquiring how it worked and and if people used the bulletin board just to post cabin numbers... Even after trying to explain to him it was just a meet and greet, he did not understand. The next day, was the Cruise Critic Roll Call in the Viking Lounge. He showed up for that, too. Sat next to us, and then seemed a little irked once he realized it was not just a LGBT event, even though he had signed up for the event here on the regular Roll Call forums and it was quite easy to see all the people commenting before and after him were obviously straight couples. As I said, just made for a bit of awkwardness.
We have never seen the biggest turnouts. Our next cruise is a 12 day in April on Celebrity Equinox, our first aboard Celebrity. We are getting maried onboard the ship before it leaves port. Hope to meet some new folks. Let me know if anyone else will be on the Equinox on it's 4/3/17 sailing!
We had a similar experience. We were travelling on the Allure with family which was great, but we needed some us time. So we headed out to the Solarium to relax. We noticed a guy staring at us in a way which made us feel really uncomfortable..........as though he had a problem with us. He proceeded to follow us into the whirlpool, just staring at us. Not wanting to provoke him, we got out dried off and headed back to our cabin. We saw him a couple of times during the rest of the cruise, again staring in a creepy way whilst wandering round with his wife and kid. It wasn't until the last night that he made a pass at us, in the toilet of all places....that we figured what all the staring was all about......yuk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
London, UK
155 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by CntPAcruiser
We've also only sailed on RCI, and agree that the suggested times are not always the best. The card posted at guest services had the daily LGBT meet at 5 p.m. in one of the lounges. But that is just a suggestion, and you can post your own card with a time you like. As for the ones listed in the Cruise Compass, uncharacteristically (since I'm not usually a night owl), I went to the first night's 11 p.m. meetup in the Vortex club on Serenade and it was generally younger guys, late 20s to 30s (I'm in my 40s), but they were quite welcoming and chatted. A few danced to the DJ's tunes.

They do not seem to be hosted events, but since it was just a small group of people there, it seemed clear who was there for the LGBT mingle (bunch of male couples), and I just walked up and introduced myself.
Doh, changing the card didn't even occur to us.....thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Carlisle, PA
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
RichardE954...Richard....looking for you.....or anyone who can relay my message. I lost your email with a reboot of my laptop. We are coming to Ft Lauderdale the night before our Harmony cruise on 3/11/17. Meg (treelover128) will be with us and some other cruise friends.

We are planning to go to dinner in Ft Lauderdale and would love to meet you somewhere. We are staying at the Embassy Suites on Please email me at [email protected].

Tracy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy & Jeff

Celebrity Edge - March 10, 2019
Celebrity Reflection - March 12, 2018 - Ultimate Caribbean
Anthem of the Seas - May 11, 2017 - 9 nt Bermuda/Caribbean - #20!!!!!
Harmony of the Seas - March 11, 2017
Celebrity Reflection - Sept 11, 2015 Eastern Med
Quantum of the Seas - March 1, 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - Dec 15, 2014
Celebrity Eclipse - March 8, 2014 Exotic Southern
Allure of the Seas - Oct 6, 2013 Western
Celebrity Equinox - March 4, 2013 - Central America
Veendam - South America - March 19, 2012
Allure of the Seas - May 15, 2011 Eastern
Radiance of the Seas - April 12, 2010 - Mexican Riviera
Noordam - March 19, 2008
Adventure of the Seas - March 16, 2003
Grand Princess - Dec 15, 2001
Celebrity Zenith - Bermuda - June 16, 2001
Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal - March 21, 1998
Nordic Empress - Dec 16, 1996
NCL Windward - Sept 1995
Majesty of the Seas - May 16, 1993
Song of Norway - May 19, 1991
Carlisle, PA
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sorry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy & Jeff

Noordam - March 19, 2008
NCL Windward - Sept 1995
Carlisle, PA
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
RichardE954....Richard...or anyone who can relay my message to him......I lost your email address in a computer reboot.

We are planning dinner in Ft Lauderdale on 3/10/17 before our 3/11/17 Harmony cruise. We would love to meet you somewhere. Treelover128 (Meg) will be with us and a couple cruise friends.

Please email me at [email protected].
Tracy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy & Jeff

Noordam - March 19, 2008
NCL Windward - Sept 1995
Carlisle, PA
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I'm sorry.....did not mean to post so many times, but was having an issue with the website.

Thank you!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy & Jeff

Noordam - March 19, 2008
NCL Windward - Sept 1995
Dayton ohio
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I always try to go, as meeting other gay travelers is frequently a highlight of my trip. The most active and fun groups I've seen were on NCL ships. I was on the Oceania Regatta recently and they didnt even know what "Friends of Dorothy" was. Not our kind of cruise line, I guess! I encourage all gay and lesbian passengers to at least attend an initial FOD event on each cruise, or the events may disappear from the ships. Cruise lines will not set aside space if it won't be used.
Raleigh, N.C.
12,018 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Our Holland America cruise earlier this year had a few couples and a few singles show up for the LGBT gathering. Our problem with it was the time interfered with our second seating dinner. We had to leave almost immediately. Nevertheless, it was nice to meet some people. We ended up hanging out with some of them at other times.

Princess seems to have better attendance at its LGBT meetings--at least the cruises we have been on.
Denver
267 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Does anyone know if MSC has these events as well and if they are well attended? We'll be on the Divina in a week. There are lots of Europeans so it might make for an interesting gathering if they schedule them. Thanks!
Connecticut
462 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
I have attended these gatherings on NCL. We had a lovely group this winter (march). We even did dinner together in the MDR one night. It all depends I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skipperanne
Connecticut

Certainly will be a great group!!

a totally new way to cruise: solo cabins!!

Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC. b2b February-March 2017.
Royal Caribbean: Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean, from Tampa: Melissa Etheridge Rock the Boat Cruise: November 2016.
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, from Tampa October 2016.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC March 2016.
Norwegian Sun Alaska btb Vancouver to Seward May-June 2015.
Norwegian Pearl Alaska Cruise!! Vancouver to Seattle May 2015.
Norwegian Dawn Boston to Tampa and Western Caribbean November 2013.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean btb from NYC March 2013.
Lincoln U.K.
4 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by walester
I'm disappointed to hear that the LGBT gatherings are often poorly attended. We will be doing our first cruise in September, on the Celebrity Constellation, and we were hoping that by meeting other gay couples (and singles too), that we could quickly learn the ropes.

Any other advice for gay newbies trying to figure out what will work for us?

Thanks
Celebrity Cruises always advertise an LGBT meeting on the first day you join the ship (its in the daily compass) which is normally in your room. After that I think it's up to the group to organise stuff as I have not seen it advertised after the first day. We have just returned from the Panama with Celebrity and it was still advertised.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked:

1st April 2019 Celebrity Reflection - Caribbean
12th April 2019 Celebrity Reflection - Caribbean (Back to back)
22nd April 2018 Celebrity Constellation - Arabian & Suez
3rd September 2017 Celebrity Eclipse - Western Mediterranean

Sailed:

2nd April 2017 Celebrity Infinity - Westbound Panama Canal
April 2016 Celebrity Constellation - Transatlantic
3rd October 2015 Celebrity Silhouette - Israel and Mediterranean
Celebrity Eclipse - Caribbean
Adventure of the Seas - Mediterranean
Adventure of the Seas - Canary Islands
Portland, OR
8 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
We just disembarked the Carnival Splendor and had a meet n' greet 6 out of 7 nights at 9pm. It was on the schedule as Your time: LGBT meet n' greet at the Mojito Bar which was well placed on the ship. It was well attended the first night. After that it was hit or miss.

Denver
267 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I sailed with a friend on the MSC Divina from Miami last week. They listed an unheated GLBT gathering for 4:45 pm on the first full day and about 12 Americans attended despite the fact that roughly 80% on board were Europeans. They do not list it after the first day. We requested several times for it to be listed again and they only did so one additional time. They told us they assumed that if it was a success after the first meeting that we would have decided amongst ourselves where to meet and at what time in the future. However, the "Friends of Bill" AA meeting was also unhosted but it was published daily so we weren't sure what to think. Anyway, it was a nice ship and a nice sailing in general.
Dallas
67 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
We went to our first FOD on QM2 crossing 2017 May. It was fantastic.
Never having been to a FOD meeting- and introverted and shy, we did not know what to expect.
The number of attendees varied nightly, but never less than 12 and at most 30.
We met the most interesting and nicest people, it seemed as though everyone made
a real point to circulate and meet new members, which is very nice.
So happy we went. Please consider attending your FOD meetings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark & Clay

Queen Mary 2 05/2017
Coral Princess 05/2015
Queen Mary 2 05/2012
New York
10 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by geoherb
Our Holland America cruise earlier this year had a few couples and a few singles show up for the LGBT gathering. Our problem with it was the time interfered with our second seating dinner. We had to leave almost immediately. Nevertheless, it was nice to meet some people. We ended up hanging out with some of them at other times.

Princess seems to have better attendance at its LGBT meetings--at least the cruises we have been on.
Good to know! We're traveling on HAL Boston/Montreal in July, our first cruise, and was wondering about whether we'd be "trapped" without like-minded folks.
Palm Bay FL and Princeton NJ
1,026 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Gave up on them a long time ago. Usually spot family throughout our journey so it's never been a problem. The stigma of FOD is rather alarming and nobody really cares anymore if your gay or straight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CC, Horizon-12/03

RCCL, Empress -10/04

PCL, Diamond-02/05

CCL, Inspiration -09/05

RCCL, Mariner-05/06

CC, Century-01/07

PCL, Crown-04/07

CCL, Liberty-11/07
RCCL, Explorer-08/08
Oceania, Insignia-11/08
CCL, Destiny-08/09
RCCL, Mariner-10/09 (Atlantis)
RCCL, Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
RCCL, Monarch-03/10
RCCL, Monarch-07/10
CC, Equinox-08/10 (Atlantis)
RCCL, Freedom-02/2012
Regent; Mariner- 10/12
RCCL, Jewel-12/12
RCCL, Jewel-12/12 b2b
RCCL, Independence-12/13
RCCL, Enchantment- 01/14
RCCL, Legend; TA- 04/14
RCCL, Freedom; 10/14
CC, Infinity (Alaska)-05/2015
RCCL, Serenade Holiday Cruise; 12/15
DCL Dream: 05/16
RCCL, Allure; 08/16

RCCL, Serenade Holiday; 12/16
RCCL, Empress-04/17

Connecticut
462 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Stigma? You mean as in use of an antiquated euphemism. On NCL they now put. (LGBT ) in parentheses. Those under 30 would be clueless. As would be most women.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skipperanne
Connecticut

Certainly will be a great group!!

a totally new way to cruise: solo cabins!!

Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC. b2b February-March 2017.
Royal Caribbean: Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean, from Tampa: Melissa Etheridge Rock the Boat Cruise: November 2016.
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, from Tampa October 2016.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC March 2016.
Norwegian Sun Alaska btb Vancouver to Seward May-June 2015.
Norwegian Pearl Alaska Cruise!! Vancouver to Seattle May 2015.
Norwegian Dawn Boston to Tampa and Western Caribbean November 2013.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean btb from NYC March 2013.
164 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Surfguyxxx
Gave up on them a long time ago. Usually spot family throughout our journey so it's never been a problem. The stigma of FOD is rather alarming and nobody really cares anymore if your gay or straight.
Would that that was completely true.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature