Staying in touch on board

Spending.Every.Dime

Depends on the phone model and plan. We have Verizon and any iPhone from models 6 and above support WiFi Calling. We have used this over the last two years on several Celebrity ships and 1 RCL ship. It works very well overall. We were with a group of 8 in June on Connie out of Venice and we were all able to text and call each other on ship- no charges at all. There are some nuances. Some cabins get a weaker WiFi signal. If your cabin is like that you might need to go to a public area to make a call. As for the process, on your phone sign into the ship WiFi. Then put it on airplane mode. You might need to toggle WiFi on again at that point. Within a minute or so you will see a symbol on the top left change to WiFi Calling. Then good to go. Note that if you are on ship Wifi on an iPhone, even without Wifi Calling activated, you can still send text messages to other iPhones on WiFi.

We have unlimited WiFi on our upcoming cruise. We have never tried WiFi calling etc., but... turn on WiFi and turn on airplane mode? This will disable phone charges, but allow texts and calling?

That's what we do, using Verizon and Google Hangouts (although the other person needs to have Hangouts as well I believe). Just don't forget to turn on the airplane mode!

That's what we do, using Verizon and Google Hangouts (although the other person needs to have Hangouts as well I believe). Just don't forget to turn on the airplane mode!

It’s my understanding that if the person making the call is using Google Hangouts that’s all that’s needed. However if the caller is using FB Messenger both parties have to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk