Azamara Journey Solo First Timer

MMDown Under

Have just returned from a memorable fortnight cruise on Azamara Journey, from Singapore to Hong Kong, on 9/12/17.

For a destination traveller, like me, there is much to love about Azarama Journey. I have put in a review, but will list my highlights -

love the small ship.

Unique itinerary which included up river travel to Bangkok and Saigon.

Friendly Management from Captain, Music Director, to all Team Leaders and crew. They were everywhere ensuring passengers were having a good time. How many captains farewell passengers when they leave the ship in port (and even knew where the bin was for my banana skin?)

I was astounded by the high level of Entertainment and music provided and could always find somewhere beautiful live music was playing.

Free frequent shuttles were a much appreciated bonus, as it made independent travel in each port so easy.

Friendly well travelled passengers. I met some of the nicest inclusive passengers on this cruise, which was my first solo cruise.

I hope I get to cruise on Azamara Journey again, but if not I highly recommend this ship for anyone looking for a loved ship with unique itineraries and bonus high level entertainment/music. In the meantime, I'm enjoying Eric DeGray's CD, reliving the musical memories.

My Journey solo experience has been the same. I hate to disembark and immediately start counting the days until my next trip. I'm curious about the changes being discussed here, but am choosing to be optimistic about the Azamara experience continuing to be a good one.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise!

Melissa

Ditto to the Ops post from someone aboard the Pursuit on the following trip.

Too much fun to be writing at length now.

We have done many trips with Seabourn and Silverseas and have no grumbles about our first try with Azamara.

Tony and Christine

Yes Marion, glad you had a wonderful trip and enjoyed it. Your points are what make it a good pick for us too and we’ve met some lovely fellow travellers on there as well. Love for you to join us Singa to Perth next December, back in time for Xmas with the family[emoji6]

Cheers Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have sailed on Azamara twice as a solo with another trip booked on the Journey this September. With one small exception was never once treated differently or poorly due to being a solo traveler. Only instance where I was treated poorly involved being removed from a transfer to the hotel to make room for a couple. That infuriated me at the time but I forgive Azamara for that. Highly recommend to any solos considering a solo cruise.

Have just returned from a memorable fortnight cruise on Azamara Journey, from Singapore to Hong Kong, on 9/12/17.

For a destination traveller, like me, there is much to love about Azarama Journey. I have put in a review, but will list my highlights -

love the small ship.

Unique itinerary which included up river travel to Bangkok and Saigon.

Friendly Management from Captain, Music Director, to all Team Leaders and crew. They were everywhere ensuring passengers were having a good time. How many captains farewell passengers when they leave the ship in port (and even knew where the bin was for my banana skin?)

I was astounded by the high level of Entertainment and music provided and could always find somewhere beautiful live music was playing.

Free frequent shuttles were a much appreciated bonus, as it made independent travel in each port so easy.

Friendly well travelled passengers. I met some of the nicest inclusive passengers on this cruise, which was my first solo cruise.

I hope I get to cruise on Azamara Journey again, but if not I highly recommend this ship for anyone looking for a loved ship with unique itineraries and bonus high level entertainment/music. In the meantime, I'm enjoying Eric DeGray's CD, reliving the musical memories.

Lovely to hear Azamara crew are still fab. I've sailed 10 voyages solo with them and have future voyages booked for this year and next. I believe you're from the Gold Coast, I'm from Brisbane. Perhaps we will cross paths one day.

Lovely to hear Azamara crew are still fab. I've sailed 10 voyages solo with them and have future voyages booked for this year and next. I believe you're from the Gold Coast, I'm from Brisbane. Perhaps we will cross paths one day.

WOW - 10 solo voyages on Azamara - you are blessed indeed! Bon Voyage for your pending cruises. Where are you cruising next?

Would be nice if our paths crossed on Journey one day.

WOW - 10 solo voyages on Azamara - you are blessed indeed! Bon Voyage for your pending cruises. Where are you cruising next?

Would be nice if our paths crossed on Journey one day.

Next is Journey in October, very much looking forward to it.

• 6 months later...

Looking far out, I just noticed a 2020 South American cruise that is the itinerary I've been looking for...but would appreciate any input/advice regarding Azamara for solo travel.

I'm a seasoned, independent traveler, and while I've taken many overseas land trips since my husband passed two years ago, have not yet cruised alone or tried Azamara.

Being friendly and outgoing, I have no difficulty introducing myself to tablemates...but not sure how easy/difficult it is to be seated with others on Azamara especially for dinner?

I'm assuming there is no assigned sitting, so how are solo passengers handled?

Thank you all for any helpful comments!

Looking far out, I just noticed a 2020 South American cruise that is the itinerary I've been looking for...but would appreciate any input/advice regarding Azamara for solo travel.

I'm a seasoned, independent traveler, and while I've taken many overseas land trips since my husband passed two years ago, have not yet cruised alone or tried Azamara.

Being friendly and outgoing, I have no difficulty introducing myself to tablemates...but not sure how easy/difficult it is to be seated with others on Azamara especially for dinner?

I'm assuming there is no assigned sitting, so how are solo passengers handled?

Thank you all for any helpful comments!

Hi Smoothsailors,

You will find it very easy to meet people aboard, especially at dinner time. At the start of the cruise, and often later in the cruise, there will be a hosted table just for singles. And on nights there is not a hosted table, there's usually a set time when singles meet to dine together. I believe it is 6:30.

When I'm working, and sailing without DH, I often join the singles table. It has always been fun. Since everyone at the table is sailing solo, they tend to be outgoing and interested in meeting others.

Plus no doubt you'll make friends on tours, at the lectures, at the Windows buffet, by the pool or bars, so you'll find others to dine with. I occasionally dine by myself with my book or notes when working and no one looks sideways at me.

P.S. A few years ago I wrote an AZ blog called "Sailing Solo, Happily". https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/blog/sailing-solo-happily

I'd say that if cruising interests you, go for it!

My story is similar to yours. After my husband died, I traveled to Greece, Turkey (several times) and Egypt alone, but I hesitated to try a cruise. With Cruise Critic encouragement, I did an Azamara cruise two years ago and my third is coming up in October.

Azamara has cultivated a culture of friendliness, from the top down, and solo travelers need never feel alone. As you've already seen, there are shared or solo's tables in the MDR and you'll quickly meet other people to share meals with in other venues. If you feel like eating alone occasionally, that's fine too. You'll be seated however you choose. That's been my experience and it sounds like you're probably more outgoing than I.

Be forewarned though, Azamara will spoil you for traveling any other way, but if you're ready for that and see a tempting itinerary, don't hesitate!

Melissa

Thank you both so much! I really have no problem, if I want to try a special restaurant or go to a concert in a foreign city, being alone...but wasn't sure how it would be on a cruise. Knowing that there is a designated table and that Azamara passengers are welcoming is just the encouragement I was hoping for!

Thank you both so much! I really have no problem, if I want to try a special restaurant or go to a concert in a foreign city, being alone...but wasn't sure how it would be on a cruise. Knowing that there is a designated table and that Azamara passengers are welcoming is just the encouragement I was hoping for!

You're most welcome. Let us all know if you choose Azamara, and which cruise you'll be on. Then be sure to join that voyage's Roll Call on Cruise Critic.

I want to second all the comments here about traveling solo on Azamara. I have traveled solo all of my life, not every single trip, but the majority of them, so I have no trouble doing that. I took my first cruise on the Journey last month and can honestly say, with only one exception, that it was the best cruise I have taken based on the friendliness of the crew and passengers.

Before AZ I had cruised many times on Celebrity and RCCL and, although I have met many nice people over the years, the crowd on the Journey was by far the friendliest, most inclusive and welcoming to solo travelers.

I did not join the solo table but met so many people onboard or in the buffet at lunch and dinner, or the grill, who invited me to eat with them or join them on tours, that I never got the chance to seek out the singles table.

One thing I noticed was that the set up of two top tables next to eachother in the buffet especially facilitated talking to your neighbors, and because dinner is set up with table cloths and candles, plus drink service it is like eating in a restaurant not a cafeteria like Celebrity and Royal. I met and ate with so many interesting people with impressive and varied backgrounds on this cruise that I am spoiled forever, I’m afraid. This was surprising to me especially since I booked the cruise very late and did not have much chance to participate in the roll call to meet people beforehand as usually happens with Cruise Critic.

Needless to say I have booked more cruises with Azamara and am looking forward to a B2B from Lisbon to Monte Carlo on the Pursiut next year. I only wish I had started cruising with AZ sooner but better late than never, I suppose.

Anne