Anyone sprain ankle/break leg right before a cruise?

goobz

Hi. Since no one has responded, I'll try to give you my experience. I don't know how soon you want to cruise, but much will depend on your mobility level. Can you be more specific about your injury and travel plans, ship, cruise experience, etc.

We may be able to help with a little more info.

Good luck.

Margee

A couple of summers ago I slipped on the wet rocks in my driveway when I was leaving for work and broke my foot. It was the day before I was leaving on a cruise out of New York.

I refused to believe that my foot was broken, even though it turned "50 shades of black & Blue"!

I still went on my cruise with my foot wrapped up in an ace bandage. Every afternoon I would lay down and put ice on it. Our Cabin Steward must of known something was up because he made sure our Ice Bucket was always full.

Anytime we ate in the main dining room, they always seated us towards the entrance so I would not have to walk too far.

It was hard to get around and it hurt, but not as bad as I thought it would. That is one of the reasons why I thought it was not broken.

Needless to say when we returned home I waited a little longer and finally went to the emergency room on Labor Day. Yes, it was broken. Of course it didn't heal as well as it should have, but does not cause me any problems unless I twist it a silly way.

If your asking for advice, it is totally up to you and the "broken" part of your body. I did not want to disrupt a cruise for 5 other people. I thought if I could get there, it was better than not going at all!!

Whatever the decision, good luck.

Did you still go on the cruise and how did it turn out?

Nothing as drastic as a break, but I injured my left knee, right before my last Celebrity cruise. Although I wasn't having to use crutches or a cane, I was definitely hobbling around -- stairs (either direction) were a particular challenge. Glad I took the cruise -- managed to get around OK (with my DH's help), but I did use the elevators much more than I normally do. The one thing that I didn't think about was a particular cruise tour we had booked, involving a lot of walking -- some of it up and down uneven steps. In retrospect, I should have canceled that shore excursion -- or changed it to one that required very little walking. Hope this helps!

Was in a cast for a broken arm last cruise (2009)...we left 10 days after my surgery, and although I couldn't swim, I still had a great time.

This time, I'm scheduled for ACL repair surgery 4 weeks before we leave on the Carnival Dream. I'm wondering if I should postpone...my doctor says average recovery time for what I'm getting is 3-4 weeks. I figure if anything I can just lie around on the boat.

I was in a car accident two weeks prior to our first cruise. I broke my ankle and required surgery to repair. I was in a cast up to my knee and on crutches as I could not put weight on the ankle. We cancelled our cruise and was glad that I did, especially after we finally took the cruise. Our cruise was around Hawaii - I definitely would not have been able to manage the air flights (needed to have leg elevated) and my mobility was very limited. I would have not been able to do any of the excursions we had planned.

So I would say it depends on where you are going, what you have planned and your ability to get around.

PS - we had insurance so we did not lose any money by cancelling

Two weeks before I was due to leave for Alaska, I fell and broke my lower leg and tore three ligaments in my ankle. I ended up in the hospital for a week, then 4 months of rehab. I didn't make the cruise and I didn't have insurance :(, I don't make that mistake any longer.

What does the doctor say? You can be miserable at home or miserable on a cruise. Look into renting a wheelchair.

On one cruise there was a guy (in a wheelchair) with both feet in those blue shoes. They didn't do as much as they would have liked but whenever we saw them around the ship or on shore they were both smiling. He had surgery on both feet and convinced the doctor that he would be 'good'.

Another cruise a gal said she broke her leg right before the cruise. She used wheelchair all over.

Two weeks before the cruise my spouse torn her meniscus and was on crutches. We stayed on the ship and enjoyed just staying on the ship.

The issue was with the other passengers, if I did not protect my spouses space they most likely would knock her over.

Yes, as a matter of fact, a year ago, I broke a bone in my foot, and had two torn ligaments in my ankle just 3 days before the cruise.

It turned out okay. I had to wear a boot, one that was almost to my knee. At the terminal, they let me and my two sisters go early with the 'handicapped' group, they offerred assistance at every turn. In the buffet or dining room, someone was always trying to help me. I used a cane as well, so it was hard to manage a tray or plate with the cane and not wanting to slip and fall on possible food on the floor...know what I mean?

I had the room steward make sure I had ice every day, I had taken a soft little personal size cooler to put it in. I had to put ice on my foot/ankle every chance I got.

At the beaches, it was a little difficult to get around in the sand. My doctor said I could go from the chair (if it was close to the water) to the water, just not to walk in sand much because it is too soft/no support to keep from turning ankle. My boot ended up with some sand in it...but not bad. But while I was sitting in the lounge chair I would take it off, but had it on to walk anywhere except from lounge chair to water a couple times.

I stayed on the ship in Cozumel, due to too much walking involved and didn't think I could handle the walk on the pier and shopping.

The funny thing was, every time I turned around I saw people with the same kind of boot on! We usually would ask each other...turned out to be a conversation starter...LOL

I had to wear my boot for six weeks, so the most painful time was at first while I was on the cruise and shortly after, but it didn't keep me from enjoying the cruise!

Hope you get along just fine! I wouldn't worry. Hardest thing was managing my things, and escalators were a no-no for me at the terminal so I used the elevators. On the ship I could go up the stairs easier than going down them...so I tried occasionally doing that if it was just one flight of stairs to travel.

Good luck!

If you are in a cast, and enjoy pools and beaches, you'll be miserable! If you aren't casted, you can still sun, if that's your thing. If you don't care about swimming or beaches, you should be just fine, even if you're in a cast. If you need crutches, that could be tricky and possibly uncomfortable if the ship is rocking....but it's doable.

Oh, yes!-it's the reason we didn't cruise last year.

We'd booked a week on Celebrity Eclipse, round Norway, and then decided we were going to stay a night at the port and go on Ventura for another week's cruise....

OH takes a choir of retired people....did he want someone to help him move the piano? No....so the great big Victorian piece fell over and crushed his foot....:eek:

The receptionist in A&E said she'd heard everything now....

We cancelled, but had to pay a small premium on our insurance....and another one because we'd taken them out separately for different ships- each.

There were 2 blessings: it was his left foot, so we were able to exchange our car for an automatic, which he learnt to drive within minutes (still goes for the gear lever, though).

We discovered the house of our dreams during those weeks, and the money from the cruises was a great help with all the fees.;)

For a plain break or high sprain they will put you in a boot. The boots are great. You can still walk. When I had one, I would take it off and dangle my foot in the pool. Now it took the break 6 months to heal- it was a pesky stress fracture in a bad place, but I could function fine in the boot.

We will be sailing in about three months and I just got put in a boot (ankle to just below my knee) for two stress fractures. Waiting now on more test results to see if I get put on crutches for a while and Dr. said the other day that it could take three months or more for this to heal. My response: "Boot or no boot, I am not missing my cruise!" Alaska and Denali may be a little more challenging in this boot and/or with crutches, but I am determined that I will not let it hold me back no matter how uncomfortable this boot is!

Not a cruise, but a resort vacation. I broke my foot and severely sprained my ankle about four days before the start of our trip. (They took a second set of x-rays as they couldn't believe the ankle wasn't broken it was so bad. :( )

It put a bit of a damper on the trip, but we made due. Instead of hiking, we spent time in the beautiful gardens at the resort. The hot tub was off limits, but I was able to use the pool with help getting in and out.

We spent time canoeing (I got in on shore and my husband pushed us into the water before he hopped in), and I even hobbled around town doing some shopping a few days after we got there.

While it wasn't ideal, we made the best of it and had a great time.

I think it depends on whether you want to get off at ports or not. For instance, I sprained my ankle toward the end of a Med cruise and the 2 days I spent on the ship were fine. But if it had been earlier in the cruise, I would have missed out on every single port day I had planned. So...if you just want to hang out on the ship then you will probably be fine. But otherwise you may want to cancel and rebook for when you can really enjoy the ports.

I dislocated my knee one week before our cruise and did not have insurance. I was in an immbolizer with crutches for the cruise. It was pretty tough since I could not bend leg at at all and had crutches but was not going to give up the cruise and loose all that money. We did get off in ports which was a challenge but worth it to me.

Yes, stress fractures, that is what mine was. Took forever to heal, and about a year before I was running again. The boot was no problem. I would take it off to drive, and took it off and put my feet in the pool. It was an adjustment and the boot did hurt for about 2 weeks, and then I got used to it. I would def not miss the cruise.

I fractured my foot back in March, had surgery, was off of work for 8 weeks. I went back to work the first of May using crutches, the 2nd and 3rd weeks I wore a boot and this past week I am finally wearing tennis shoes. My foot is still swollen but I am getting around. I don't know if my foot will be 100% in August but it's not going to stop me from having a fun time in Alaska. :)

Archived