Solo cruisers

Solos get the discount. Think of it as paying a set price for the cabin irrespective if one or two people are staying in it. You don’t need a second person to get the cabin discount. Do a mock booking for 2 people v. for 1 person and the price will be the same except on the 1 person booking the port fees will be less.

There are a few solo cabins and at times solo discounts - lately a lot of the RCI Asian itineraries have reduced solo fares.

Yes, as Bob said they would rather fill cabin with 2, and they do as Royal sails at about 104% capacity. I been sailing 30+ yrs & alone for 20 years. When economy is bad, they have trouble filling ships then they have more cabins with Single Supplement 150%. Right after 9/11 2001 that Fall I sailed couple times and cost on the Brand New Explorer of the Seas a balcony cabin was same one or two passengers, 8-10 years ago you could look and find a cabin for 150-175% on some sailings, but real rare now, and don't see it changing... Then most of the time the few ships that have single cabin's usually cost more then a double person cabin...

RCI has solo cabins and solo balcony cabins. I like the solo double points so sometimes I won't book a single but will opt for the regular cabin for the points. The 50% of second guest promotion worked out ok for me, at least I did not pay double. My issue is things like the C&A 2 for one milkshakes at Johnny Rockets, you have to get them at the same time. When I brought this up a few years ago on a ship, I was told that that was what the promo was and there was no altering it. I can easily drink two glasses of wine at one time but the milkshakes were a challenge. I went to the bar with my two milkshakes, got two shots of rum and had a really big adult milkshake.

I’m a solo traveler and I don’t look at it as a single supplement. I look at the daily charge, and if it’s in my budget, I don’t care what the total is. If I were to go on a non cruise vacation, what would I pay for a hotel, food, entertainment, etc? It would probably cost me a whole lot more.

As others said, they make a lot more revenue with 2 (or more) in a cabin.

I’m a solo traveler and I don’t look at it as a single supplement. I look at the daily charge, and if it’s in my budget, I don’t care what the total is. If I were to go on a non cruise vacation, what would I pay for a hotel, food, entertainment, etc? It would probably cost me a whole lot more.

As others said, they make a lot more revenue with 2 (or more) in a cabin.

I totally agree Deb. I base my decision on price per day - I have a spreadsheet that I use to track the full costs, cruise, air, hotel. Like you, I feel the getting the food, entertainment, and lodging for less than a land vacation makes cruising very affordable. Plus I get to wake up somewhere different every day!

I agree with everything everyone says but I wish the cruise lines would wake up to an untapped market out there. NCL has their solo cabins but they are more expensive than an interior cabin with a 200% single supplement. Just venting.

You definitely get money off with the sale as they basically consider the single supplement as the second passenger. As to the solo cabins p, they are oft times more expensive than standard cabins even with the single supplement since the pricing is based on availability. Since there are so few as the inventory drops the price goes up. I’ve found that the only way to get the solo cabins at a cheaper price is to book very early after booking opens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is an untapped market because it is a market they don't feel they need to tap. If they can fill the cabins with their current prices, then their no need to offer special prices for singles at in essence a discounted rate over the double occupancy rate.

I agree with everything everyone says but I wish the cruise lines would wake up to an untapped market out there. NCL has their solo cabins but they are more expensive than an interior cabin with a 200% single supplement. Just venting.