Bedding on the Getaway too small -- Is this normal?

notronjeremy

Just got back from a 7-day cruise on the Getaway. The cruise was fantastic in just about every way with the exception of some in-cabin issues we had (in a balcony cabin).

The first issues noticed were a slow draining shower and a sink that seemed to think the dial was set all the way to hot, regardless of where it was actually set. Both were really pretty minor issues and once I figured out the "trick" to the sink I didn't see a need to bother the crew about it. And I certainly wouldn't want to deprive future occupants of this cabin the fun of also figuring out the trick. :)

The one issue that did perplex me was that at night we were fighting each other for covers much more than we normally do at home and by morning the bottom sheet (between us and the mattress) was always dislodged such that we were both sleeping directly on the mattress. We're used to sleeping in a king-sized bed and the bed on the Getaway is closer to a queen so at first I figured we just needed to adjust to the change in bed size. After a couple frustrating nights of this we figured out there were extra covers stashed in the sofa so we could each have our own blanket, but this still bothered me so I took a closer look:

At first glance the comforter on the bed appears to hang 6+ inches over both sides on a freshly made bed; however, upon closer inspection the comforter is actually a duvet (basically a comforter placed inside of thin cover, which protects the comforter and makes it easier to clean since the cover can be removed). Taking an even closer look, the outer cover is larger than the comforter it protects by a good 3-6 inches on either side, meaning the actual comforter part of it barely reaches across the bed. I guess that would explain why we were fighting over it since our preference is a cold room and a comforter large enough to cover both of us at the same time. Unlike the duvet, the top sheet (between us and the duvet) was properly sized for a queen bed. I brought this to the attention of the guy who cleaned/maintained our cabin, but he insisted it was normal, there was nothing wrong, and everything was the right size.

We never did figure out the bottom-sheet issue. I did notice that when the bed was freshly made the bottom sheet only extended just to the top edge of the mattress and that any motion on the bed would typically pull that sheet down. The bottom sheet seemed to be secured to the other three sides of the bed, but it didn't bother me enough to pull out a ruler or otherwise investigate beyond that. I guess it's kind of "gross" to sleep directly on a shared mattress, but with our focus more strongly directed towards our nightly battles over who was hogging the comforter, the bottom sheet issue fell out of focus.

This was cabin 11876 on the Getaway. As a frame of reference, we cruised the Norwegian Escape (inside cabin) in January of 2017 and had none of the problems listed in this post on the Escape.

Anybody else run into this on the Getaway?

I've been in hotels where the bottom sheet would "crawl" off the mattress....drove me NUTS! I now travel with "grippers" that will secure the bottom sheet to the mattress....but I didn't have them on that trip. I settled for using my travel sewing kit to SEW the freaking sheet to the mattress.....it worked! (I did take out the stitching before we left!)

You can buy things that either look like garter hose clips (if you're young, you won't understand), or these things that you slide over the seam on the mattress...catching the sheet to secure it. Google it!

DW and I spent two weeks in our Getaway balcony cabin last November, cruising from Copenhagen to Miami. We had no fights, with each other or the sheets. Then again, at 83 we did exactly what is expected to be done between the sheets: we slept. Too tired to be clambering around with a tape measure in hand.

You can buy things that either look like garter hose clips (if you're young, you won't understand), or these things that you slide over the seam on the mattress...catching the sheet to secure it. Google it!

Victoria's Secret or Frederick's of Hollywood catalogs... young people know what they are even if they don't wear them out. :p

I've been in hotels where the bottom sheet would "crawl" off the mattress....drove me NUTS! I now travel with "grippers" that will secure the bottom sheet to the mattress....but I didn't have them on that trip. I settled for using my travel sewing kit to SEW the freaking sheet to the mattress.....it worked! (I did take out the stitching before we left!)

Based on a lack of replies from others with the same problem I'm going to chalk our problems up to either our room somehow getting nonstandard bedding or our room steward having his own unique way of putting it together.

I like your sewing solution. LOL

If only I'd had a nail gun packed. Could have invited a senior officer to see the problem first hand and then offered to solve it myself by permanently attaching the sheet if they remained unable to resolve it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Based on a lack of replies from others with the same problem I'm going to chalk our problems up to either our room somehow getting nonstandard bedding or our room steward having his own unique way of putting it together.

I like your sewing solution. LOL

If only I'd had a nail gun packed. Could have invited a senior officer to see the problem first hand and then offered to solve it myself by permanently attaching the sheet if they remained unable to resolve it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

You're not alone. We were on the Breakaway a few weeks ago and had the same problem. The top cover was definitely not big enough. It looked like it was, but once getting into bed, it wasn't. I thought it was just us, lol.

We run into this constantly in hotels. First problem is when you "untuck" the sheets before retiring and they pull out from under the mattress. Those darn mattresses are too heavy to lift to tuck them back in. Then they end up in a wad on the bed.

Sometimes you get a situation where the housekeeper or steward has them on off-center and one side won't stay tucked in. Same result, a wad of sheets.

You're not alone. We were on the Breakaway a few weeks ago and had the same problem. The top cover was definitely not big enough. It looked like it was, but once getting into bed, it wasn't. I thought it was just us, lol.
Thank you for confirming that I'm not crazy (or that perhaps you're crazy too).

Maybe what happened was that they had to order more comforters, someone accidentally ordered full size instead of queen size, and rather than owning up to the mistake they mixed them in with the others and hoped using queen sized duvets would keep most guests from noticing.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk