Aft on Silhouette

bbfgator

Good morning - I am looking at the 11/18 cruise (12 night) southern caribbean. I like aft balconies. There is availability on decks 6, 7 & 8 right now. Any thoughts on which is better. We normally sail RCCL but have sailed Celebrity a few times - not on this ship though. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We just got off Reflection southern Caribbean...we had aft cabin 6314.... it was a great cabin with a larger than normal balcony. The view was unbelievable but the walk from the elevators was lonnnng. We also had lots of soot ...the weather was very hot and therefore sitting out on the deck was some times unbearable but lovely at nite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Debmacd....wow soot? I've done aft balconies several times and have never had that problem. I guess I've been lucky. Wonder if the problem is the same higher up? That is a concern. Don't mind the long walk to aft...I am currently booked on RCCL Serenade but thinking of switching over..this is a tough decision, but a good one to have :).

Yes... I’m a bare foot girl and my feet were black from the soot everyday... our cabin attendant washed down the deck a couple of times... thinking maybe it was particularly bad our cruise as there wasn’t much wind to blow the smoke from the stack ... I don’t know...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was on the Silhouette in March in Cabin 7315. Soot was minimal and probably only noticed because we were looking for it. First SV cabin so can't compare. Loved it.

I would also suggest you look at the S-Class Cabin Information thread. Lots of specific cabins mentioned there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

I’ve been on deck 8 and not much soot. It depends on which way the wind is blowing I think. Been twice on aft and have another booked for next cruise. The walk is long but the second time didn’t seem as bad. We sacrifice walks, soot whatever to be aft.

We were in 7340 on Silhouette and had a slightly larger balcony.

Didn’t mind the walk, burns off some calories!

We were in Scandinavia so weather was on the cooler side with a lot of rain and as it was completely exposed it was the 1st time we had limited use of our balcony.

We noticed soot on the furniture and floor quite a lot but have to say the view was impressive.

Have done a couple of cruises since and booked side balcony which we prefer.

FG :)

Edited by frogsgirl
trying to upload pictures

We were in Silhouette 7366 and absolutely loved it! Larger balcony (there's a steward closet next to this room so you get more balcony space/we noticed no noise from there though).

We also loved being on Sunrise Deck because the Hideaway was down the hall (friends next door had scratchy throats and appreciated being able to get a cup of hot herbal tea whenever they wanted - also nice place to wait while cabins are being readied when boarding).

We must have been lucky because we didn't notice any soot on the balcony (or our steward was good about cleaning it up). I was worried about privacy with people looking down from above but had no problems at all.

We did have to pull the drapes when we were moored in Key West because the sun was pouring in and was very strong. But if you're a sun worshiper you'd be in Heaven!

At night the lights on the water behind (prop wash) was beautiful....

I have a few (terrible quality phone) pictures to post now, but will have to search my files for my camera ones and will stop back to post them ;)

It was raining the day we left:

54gl00.jpg

Well hello there HAL

2ylk8dv.jpg

Bed by balcony

eu3i3k.jpg

Also when I was doing research for our cruise I found this picture of the Equinox aft cabins numbered here on CC that helped me and might help you too, if you haven't already seen it. But you have to note that the cabin numbers are different between the Equinox and Silhouette - Equinox 7364 is the same as 7366 on Silly. You can see the difference in balcony size here too - look at the center cabins:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=418440&d=1522681928

2wm29ug.jpg