New Hampshire/Boston area to NYC cruise terminal

dabkeh

We are a family of 6 and I have been comparing best way to get to the port. Parking will cost us $400 for 10 days ...thought of driving in on Sunday to sleep at hotel ..while a hotel will cost just as much between valet parking costing $58 and hotel $140...then I need to still pay to park my car at the port. Or drive early Monday morning to board the ship which departs at 4pm. I know I will hit lots of traffic! Bus from NH to NYC cost $250-300 but then i need to still pay for taxi to port both ways! So am I missing anything? I think renting a car would be expensive Too? I am not to sure on pricing and what locations would be close to port for car drop Off? Any help? Tips? Would be greatly appreciated! I have not cruised since my honeymoon over 12 years ago and I am really excited this is our first family vacation....kids are excited(1 is nervous he watched tatinic) lol please any help or info would be helpful! Thank you in advance

There is a Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. You can stay overnight, park for free and get their shuttle to and from the port in Manhattan. Probably under $300 for the overnight stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we took the breakaway last year we drove down from Manchester we hit only a,couple sticky spots early like Hartford if you get off 95 and go around u can have a smooth drive in. Parking is expensive but. You will be able to jump right into to your car when you disembark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

You didn't mention the ship or when your cruise is:

- if it's the Gem then search on Cruise Critic and there is a coupon for 25% off

- Monday departure might be a busy ride especially through New Haven.... would recommend taking the Merritt to the Hutch then to Henry Hudson..... stay away from 95 below New Haven all the way into NYC at that time of day (early morning)

Yes take the merritt to the hutch to the Henry Hudson

Alternately when the Merritt turns into the hutch in the vicinity of white plains you can look for a well priced room for the night and drive in the next morning

If not just leave your home around 5/6 am and drive to white plains and at that point stop and eat at a nice breakfast place and resume your trek by 10 am or so

You will be checking in at the ship 60 to 90 minutes after that

This assumes a 4 hour ride from your starting point Of course adjust as needed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have driven many times from Mass on the day of the cruise without any problems leaving around 5/6. I have also taken the Mega Bus or Bolt for about for about $10pp but you have to get to South Station and taxi or walk the one mile to the terminal. Personally I had more faith in driving in and parking at the terminal on the day of rather than the bus but had no problems with either.

Thank you all for your informative responses. I am leaning towards driving down 5/6am if weather permits and especially if that coupon works!!!! Thank you all! I am so excited to cruise the gem...nervous I hope the kids have fun ..it's our first family vacation and they don't know what to expect. Family time at its finest!

Maybe you could pay a college age student to drive you there and back. Maybe they'd do it if it were your car, your gas and you paid them say.....$150 for a day of their time. Same for the return?

But the real tragedy........You'll get on the ship and spend the first 1.5 days freezing until you get to Florida! Then the last 1.5 days.....freezing on the return trip

I don't know why people would leave from NYC. Maybe if you lived in NYC but for those of us in the North East, I don't get it. Just fly to Florida.

Maybe you could pay a college age student to drive you there and back. Maybe they'd do it if it were your car, your gas and you paid them say.....$150 for a day of their time. Same for the return?

But the real tragedy........You'll get on the ship and spend the first 1.5 days freezing until you get to Florida! Then the last 1.5 days.....freezing on the return trip

I don't know why people would leave from NYC. Maybe if you lived in NYC but for those of us in the North East, I don't get it. Just fly to Florida.

That's a $250 one way trip at minimum and that's cheap

College age kids are in college unless it so happens they have 8 to 10 hours free at the time you need them

Cruising out of NYC in January in 2015 and 16 we were in bathing suits and sunning by noon on the 1st sea day thanks to the Gulf Stream weather

The smart money from the Boston area that wants to cruise out of NYC leaves home at 5am and parks at the pier

They watch the weather and have plan b at the ready which could mean a hotel in Stamford or wp the night before among other resources such as Amtrak or bus

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I was a family of 6 I wouldn't pay airfare to Florida unless I was vacationing there. No actually I wouldn't even then, I would drive....

1st I live 4 hrs away

2nd we are a family of 6, much cheaper to drive in than fly!!!! Less headache to drive than fly ... My own car, flexibility of going a day ahead or driving in same day.

3rd how awesome to leave from beautiful NYC and see an amazing view as we depart!

4th why not?!?!

5th it's a 10 day cruise plenty of time for fun in the Sun!!

6th trust me looked into all options and this was the most bang for ny buck!!!

We shall see😍😉thx for your suggestions we are gonna drive in the morning of!!

Thank you all for reinforcing my thoughts! It's been over 12 years I have been on a cruise!!!! We are so excited! I know this will be a lot different because we have our children, but we actually enjoy every moment with our kids and can't wait to have some warm exciting fun! I will look into your driving suggestions as well and avoid 95!!! 👍🏼🤗🤗🤗 Gem here we come!! 1 more week! Woot woot

Thank you everyone for the suggested route from Boston to NYC! We're sailing the Gem on March 9th and are planning on driving. I was a little worried about CT and NYC traffic on a Thursday morning. Also, Thank you for the suggestion about the coupon search. It says Summer Sale on it, but does not have an expiration date, so we'll try to use it figuring the worst they can do is say no.

Thank you everyone for the suggested route from Boston to NYC! We're sailing the Gem on March 9th and are planning on driving. I was a little worried about CT and NYC traffic on a Thursday morning. Also, Thank you for the suggestion about the coupon search. It says Summer Sale on it, but does not have an expiration date, so we'll try to use it figuring the worst they can do is say no.

I saw a 2015 expiration? Was gonna try? Do you have a. Different link?