Why do RC ‘rip-off Britain ‘?

That’s because you’re using a different exchange rate than the one RC, or perhaps their bank uses. Pretty much every company selling things internationally does that. And don’t forget it swings both ways, you could wait and see if the rate changes but it might not go your way.

So on the cruise planner the beverage price is $45 for my friends in the US on our cruise from Southampton.

At the current exchange rate that should be £33.83.

But....yep you guessed it £36.48

At one point CAD was equal to USD when we booked a cruise.

By the time the cruise came around it was 20+% less than USD. We made out very well on that bounce.

Exchange rates are what they are, and I'm fairly certain RCL doesn't update their rates hourly/daily. Especially considering their other I.T. issues..................

I think the laws in Britain have something to do with it, too....y'all are more "regulated" with your booking rules than are we.

Yeah we seem to be more regulated over here in the UK. I know we always get different offers with RCCL compared to you guys in the States.

For our past two cruises which we have booked onboard we have been able to select either the UK offer / pricing OR the USA offer / price.

It has infact been far cheaper for us to select the UK offer so it has balanced itself out for us.

So on the cruise planner the beverage price is $45 for my friends in the US on our cruise from Southampton.

At the current exchange rate that should be £33.83.

But....yep you guessed it £36.48

Got nothing to do with RC, the company that converts your money into their money charge a conversion fee which is what causes the difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Variation in exchange rate resulting in a few pounds difference hardly constitutes rip-off but ...

I am also from the UK and it is frustrating that US residents sometimes get better pricing, preferential terms and conditions and access to offers that we don't. I have a choice, I don't have to sail with RCL and I don't when a competitor offers better VFM.

BTW. I never feel that I am being ripped off. It's my choice whether I pay the price and sail with RCL.

I live in Orlando. Want to know why people in Britain always pay more than Americans? Because we know you'll pay it. I'd imagine Royal Caribbean operates using a similar philosophy.

Very good point about how businesses work and I experienced this myself recently in Orlando.

We are just as bad in the UK..... I live not far from Stratford Upon Avon and know a restaurant near the Shakespeare Theatres where a different priced menu comes out when a tour bus of Americans arrive :(

I also know what you all mean!

Was just hoping RC would adjust but they didn’t need to as yes I’m the British idiot that has just paid the 9% inflated price. I called to ask if I could pay in dollars as my bank would only charge me 3% but was told NO.

However I’m also the idiot that has booked a cruise from Marseille on April 6 2019 which is only 6 days after Brexit. Wish me luck with that one!

You may sum it up to the formula "The nearer the Brexit, the higher the price difference:cool:" if you know what I mean.

I don’t get what you mean?

Brexit will make no difference to costs for a Bahamas registered company who’s business costs or taxes are very unlikely to be incurred in the UK or Europe.

Currency fluctuation at point of sale is a different matter altogether approaching 2019 but Royal would certainly hedge against this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums