duty free and Versailles

spiritreturn

Can anyone put me right on two little things, we are doing a B to B in 2014, Mexico and Panama Canal to Miami, then a Miami TA, I read the other day that on the first leg of our cruise, if we buy duty free booze, it will be delivered to our cabin the last night of the first leg and this being so, we can then drink it on the 2nd leg of our cruise, is this true?

Secondly, I have just read a review of the ship we are going on, NCL Star, in the gentlemans review he said he could only" access the Versailles Dining room by stairs at the back of the boat" surely this cannot be right, surely there is a lift, I have bad knee's and one bad hip and cannot do stairs at all so I am hoping this info is wrong, I would hate it if we couldn't go to the Versailles Dining at all.

Can anyone put me right on two little things, we are doing a B to B in 2014, Mexico and Panama Canal to Miami, then a Miami TA, I read the other day that on the first leg of our cruise, if we buy duty free booze, it will be delivered to our cabin the last night of the first leg and this being so, we can then drink it on the 2nd leg of our cruise, is this true?

Secondly, I have just read a review of the ship we are going on, NCL Star, in the gentlemans review he said he could only" access the Versailles Dining room by stairs at the back of the boat" surely this cannot be right, surely there is a lift, I have bad knee's and one bad hip and cannot do stairs at all so I am hoping this info is wrong, I would hate it if we couldn't go to the Versailles Dining at all.

We were on The Star in November and The Versailles Dining Room can also be entered on Level 6 and thus missing the stairs. You are going to love the ship

With reference to your first question regarding duty free alcohol it is my understanding the bottle(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the first leg. However, I have recently read that if the B2B cruise were booked as one then this is not possible.

Hopefully someone with experience will respond because I woul like confirmation also.

Cannot help with second question as we have not sailed on the Star.

With reference to your first question regarding duty free alcohol it is my understanding the bottle(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the first leg. However, I have recently read that if the B2B cruise were booked as one then this is not possible.

Hopefully someone with experience will respond because I woul like confirmation also.

Cannot help with second question as we have not sailed on the Star.

Correct. We did a B2B on the Jade booked as one cruise - DF only available on the first week - booze delivered on the very last sea day of the second week. :(

I've done B2Bs on both Jewel and Pearl booked as one 14 nights cruise and on both occasions (2009 and 2011) have gotten liqours at the end of first leg with no problems - makes me wonder if they are more alert about that nowadays.

We were on the STAR 8 months ago and I only remember 1 way to get into the dining room. It was located midway down the steps and then once you get inside to check in, you went down the rest of the stairs to the dining room. I didn't see another way to get in. Maybe I missed something?

The entrance:

versailles-M.jpg

Once you get in and coming down the steps into the dining area:

versailles-staircase-M.jpg

We were on the STAR 8 months ago and I only remember 1 way to get into the dining room. It was located midway down the steps and then once you get inside to check in, you went down the rest of the stairs to the dining room. I didn't see another way to get in. Maybe I missed something?

It's the same on both Dawn class and Jewel class ships: One can take one of the aft elevators down to deck 6 and get around the stairs that way, we never have had need for that within our party but if I remember correctly, you might need a crew member to activate the one elevator that goes down from deck 7 (there are no other passenger spaces below there on decks 4-6 so it's not publicly available and other aft elevators do not go below deck 7).

It's the same on both Dawn class and Jewel class ships: One can take one of the aft elevators down to deck 6 and get around the stairs that way, we never have had need for that within our party but if I remember correctly, you might need a crew member to activate the one elevator that goes down from deck 7 (there are no other passenger spaces below there on decks 4-6 so it's not publicly available and other aft elevators do not go below deck 7).

Great, good to know. I figured there had to be some type of way to get people down there that were in wheelchairs, but never did see anyone enter any other way. I'm glad to know there is a way for those people that need it. :)

On Deck 7 there is a 'down' elevator button. If the elevator you are in does not have a Deck 6 button, leave at Deck 7 and press the down button. Entrance to Versailles is either side of the staircase.

You will have to let someone know at Versailles reception that you have arrived.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did a b2b on the Sun in April, the liqor I had bought on the first leg was NOT available for pick up until the end of the 2nd leg.

So the cruiser who got his liqor at the end of the first leg must have been an error by the staff.

FYI, I did go to the pick up room at the end of the first leg. The staff could not find it and after double checking asked me if I was continuing on the trip and was told to come back at the end of the 2nd leg.

cheers

gerry

Great, good to know. I figured there had to be some type of way to get people down there that were in wheelchairs, but never did see anyone enter any other way. I'm glad to know there is a way for those people that need it. :)

When you leave the MDR you are supposed to walk directly out to the elevator on Deck 6 not back up the steps to interrupt those coming down the steps. Those that cannot do steps enter the same way everyone is supposed to leave (I have seen some walk back up the steps in error.) They then tell the workers at the bottom of the steps they are there and they take care of telling the hostess and taking them to their table from there. Some will have an able bodied wait in the line to the hostess podium while someone else takes care of the person that needs assistance.

When you leave the MDR you are supposed to walk directly out to the elevator on Deck 6 not back up the steps to interrupt those coming down the steps. Those that cannot do steps enter the same way everyone is supposed to leave (I have seen some walk back up the steps in error.) They then tell the workers at the bottom of the steps they are there and they take care of telling the hostess and taking them to their table from there. Some will have an able bodied wait in the line to the hostess podium while someone else takes care of the person that needs assistance.

In our many NCL cruises we've never exited the aft dining room in any other way than by walking back up the staircase. No crew member has ever asked us to do otherwise, not have I seen a sign requesting that you take the elevator on deck six...and most people I have observed exit the dining room the same way we do. There are two sets of doors to the dining room and usually passengers enter through one set and exit through the other...generally in a sensible way by keeping to their right hand side.

If everyone were to try to exit via that one elevator on deck six it would cause a traffic jam in the elevator lobby. My understanding is that the intended principal use of that elevator is for passengers who can't use the stairs. I suspect a lot of passengers don't even know this elevator exists.

In our many NCL cruises we've never exited the aft dining room in any other way than by walking back up the staircase. No crew member has ever asked us to do otherwise, not have I seen a sign requesting that you take the elevator on deck six...and most people I have observed exit the dining room the same way we do. There are two sets of doors to the dining room and usually passengers enter through one set and exit through the other...generally in a sensible way by keeping to their right hand side.

If everyone were to try to exit via that one elevator on deck six it would cause a traffic jam in the elevator lobby. My understanding is that the intended principal use of that elevator is for passengers who can't use the stairs. I suspect a lot of passengers don't even know this elevator exists.

That's what I have always seen too. People come down one side of the steps and leave coming up the other side. I thought that's why they are divided like that (which you can see in the picture they have 2 sets of steps and they curve to different sides). No one has ever told us to exit another way either and we always stop on the way up and take pictures on the steps going out. :)

Archived