"Cruise Casual" question

bmunroe

Cruising on Liberty in a few weeks and am trying to plan my packing. We are eating the first night in the Steakhouse and the rest in the MDR. I see that MDR is cruise casual which includes "long dress shorts" in the definition. Is it common for folks to wear nice shorts with a nice polo/golf shirt in the MDR? If so, what type of shoes can men/boys wear?

Also, what is proper dress attire in the Steakhouse?

Steakhouse is more formal, I don't believe they will let you in there in shorts. Dining room you can wear shorts but not on elegant night. On a regular night a good pair of short is fine with a polo, that's what I wear. As far as shoes, I wear gym shoes normally, even on elegant night.

Steakhouse is more formal, I don't believe they will let you in there in shorts. Dining room you can wear shorts but not on elegant night. On a regular night a good pair of short is fine with a polo, that's what I wear. As far as shoes, I wear gym shoes normally, even on elegant night.

Thanks all. The dress code for The Steakhouse states "Cruise Casual | Cruise Elegant". So which is it??? Kind of confusing.

Shorts are not allowed in the steakhouse. I typically wear Dockers and a pullover knit shirt, whether it's cruise casual or elegant night, and have never had a problem.

The steakhouse follows the same as the MDR. On casual night in MDR it is casual in the Steakhouse and on Cruise elegant night in the MDR it is elegant in the Steakhouse. Shorts are not allowed for men in the steakhouse even on cruise casual night but there might be some wiggle room in the first night as some will not have their luggage prior to their reservation time.

The steakhouse follows the same as the MDR. On casual night in MDR it is casual in the Steakhouse and on Cruise elegant night in the MDR it is elegant in the Steakhouse. Shorts are not allowed for men in the steakhouse even on cruise casual night but there might be some wiggle room in the first night as some will not have their luggage prior to their reservation time.

It may depend on the hostess at each steakhouse, but I can tell you for a fact that on the Liberty, there is no wiggle room, even on the first night. If you're wearing shorts, you won't be admitted.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE CCL FAQ PAGES :

What to Wear - Evenings

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruising on Liberty in a few weeks and am trying to plan my packing. We are eating the first night in the Steakhouse and the rest in the MDR. I see that MDR is cruise casual which includes "long dress shorts" in the definition. Is it common for folks to wear nice shorts with a nice polo/golf shirt in the MDR? If so, what type of shoes can men/boys wear?

Also, what is proper dress attire in the Steakhouse?

The dress code on Carnival is not complicated and really doesn't warrant a long thread several times per week. Martini Mom and Beachbum gave very good responses; just use some common sense and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dress code on Carnival is not complicated and really doesn't warrant a long thread several times per week. Martini Mom and Beachbum gave very good responses; just use some common sense and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for bumping me back to the top. ;)

Don't wear your pool attire to the dining room and you will be fine. The dress code is essentially unenforced and hardly anyone dresses elegant on elegant night anymore. If you want to "fit in" - polo and dockers/slacks is fine EVERY night in any venue for men.