New to crusing question about food.

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:11 PM.
Cincinnati or The Nati :D Ohio.
674 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Can you honestly order as much as you want in the mdr and at the free locations? Does anyone look at you funny when you do this or does the waiter make you stop ordering? I want to try so many things and am afraid of getting shunned lol.

If I order the room continental breakfast do I tip per plate on this too?

I also read somewhere that if you cant make it to the dining room for dinner you are to tell your fellow dinning mates is this true?

Also in your opinion what should a first timer try out for dinner? or dessert?

I am going on the Sensation with Carnival if that helps thanks!
Columbus, OH
3,871 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Yes, you really can order as many as you want. In fact if you tell you're waiter "I can't make up my mind between a and b" he'll probably automatically bring you both.

As for breakfast room service, we tipped $1-2 for one tray of food.

If you can't make it to your traditional dining time, it is polite to tell your tablemates if you know in advance just so they don't wait on you to order the next night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Westerdam / Eastern Caribbean /October 31,2015
RCL Adventure of the Seas / Southern Caribbean /January 25, 2015
HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014
RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004
674 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by sherilyn70
Yes, you really can order as many as you want. In fact if you tell you're waiter "I can't make up my mind between a and b" he'll probably automatically bring you both.

As for breakfast room service, we tipped $1-2 for one tray of food.

If you can't make it to your traditional dining time, it is polite to tell your tablemates if you know in advance just so they don't wait on you to order the next night.

Thank you!. I didnt want to seem like little miss piggy lol but theres just so much that sounds good!.
ANd I really didn't want to mess with etiqueette when it comes to my tablemates
Fredericksburg, va. USA
84,351 Posts
Joined May 2001
Yes...it's nice to tell your tablemates if you KNOW you won't be there, but if it's a "last minute" thing, there's no need to go out of your way to inform anyone.

Yes...order what you like...no one will "look" at you funny!

Tip for room service based on how much they have to carry. We do about $2 for pastries and coffee up to $5 for a full meal.
CO
73 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I am a total foodie, besides multiple "home cook" courses I always try to pick somewhere special to dine when I travel and try to never eat at restaurants I can eat at, at home. So this cruise is going to be so fun for me to try fun stuff and new experiences.

I am also on the Sensation I go on 2/9 so if you get any good tips let me know!

Christi
1st time cruiser
2/9 Carnival Sensation
Special Trip to Spoil my Mom a Little
Stone Mountain GA
9,524 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Hi! My first cruise was on the Sensation, we didn't know about ordering more than one entree until LOBSTER night, but that was OK, there was food everywhere! Really! The Sensation has the best West Indian Pumpkin soup-and don't forget the Lido deck, your lunches will be served there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Cunard-Queen Mary 1961 NY to Cherbourg
Cunard-Queen Elizabeth 1963 Cherbourg to NY
MWA- Heritage 8/05, 8/06
Carnival- Sensation-10/08
Carnival- Legend 01/10, 9/12, 9/16
Carnival- Fascination 12/10,11/11,10/13,11/14, 9/15
Carnival- Elation 1/14, 1/16

I will try one thing today,
that I have never done before,
and when I have finished something new,
I'll go try one thing more.
aem

"Hurray for ships!.....Let us keep them alive as a token of love,to make the last romantics happy. Let us use them to cure the depressed. Let us prescribe sea journeys..." Tiziano Terzani

America-It doesn't matter what ship our ancestors came here on, we're all in the same boat now.

[/url]
674 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by marshhawk
Hi! My first cruise was on the Sensation, we didn't know about ordering more than one entree until LOBSTER night, but that was OK, there was food everywhere! Really! The Sensation has the best West Indian Pumpkin soup-and don't forget the Lido deck, your lunches will be served there.

thank you!!! I am so glad to hear positive about sensation's food lol I have heard bad things from other forums

Thank you everyone too! I am so excited cause I can have different foods lol, I live with a very very picky eater who is allergic to onions and only believes in meat lol So after a year of living together and making seperate meals I kinda gave up lol so now i eat whatever he can eat or likes so to save money and time....but i miss trying new things and veggies and :O lobster!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Sensation 12-8-13
Sensation 12-8-12

and
tons of River cruises on BB Riverboats Cincinnati!

North Augusta, SC
189 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
marshhawk...Can you please tell me about the west indian pumpkin soup?? I havent tried it because I dont want to waste it if I dont like the flavor. Is it sweet/dessert kind of soup or a creamy/salty kind of soup?
rainbowfalls...my all time favorite carnival food site www.zydecocruiser.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
674 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by carhopsrock
marshhawk...Can you please tell me about the west indian pumpkin soup?? I havent tried it because I dont want to waste it if I dont like the flavor. Is it sweet/dessert kind of soup or a creamy/salty kind of soup?
rainbowfalls...my all time favorite carnival food site www.zydecocruiser.com

Oh I have already looked at that site an drooled over the pictures and menus lol. but thank you for giving me a reason to click on it again and stare, drool repeat. lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Sensation 12-8-13
Sensation 12-8-12

and

Iowa
607 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
yes, try the pumpking soup

NO it is not sweet and nothing like the pie.

It is a smooth, savory soup with a hint of a chicken broth, not as thick as a cream soup but not watery. try it with another appetizer
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If it doesn't have a buffet and a Lido deck it is not seaworthy !

#17 - BOOKED Carnival Freedom - 5 days from Galveston - January 25, 2016

#16 Carnival Magic - 7 days from Galveston - September 7, 2014
#15 Carnival Sunshine - 7 day from New Orleans - January 19, 2014
#14 Carnival Conquest - 7 day from New Orleans -January 6, 2013
#13 from Galveston - Carnival Magic 7 Day January 29 2012
B2B #11 & 12 Carnival Elation Jan/Feb 2011 from Mobile
#10 Platinum Cruise ** Carnival Triumph 7 day from New Orleans - September 2010
Carnival Fascination Back2Back 10 days from Jacksonville - February 2010
Carnival Fantasy Back2Back 10days from New Orleans - Sept/Oct 2009
Carnival Holiday 5 day from Mobile - January 2009
Carnival Conquest 7 day from Galveston - January 2008
Carnival Holiday 5 day from Mobile - October 2007
Carnival Ecstasy 5 day from Galveston - February 2007
Carnival Ecstasy 5 day from Galveston - October 2006
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
66 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Here in Australia, pumpkin is usually used as a vegetable, eg pumpkin soup, roast pumpkin, in a roasted vegetable salad - it's sweet in the way that carrots are sweet. We do, however, have pumpkin scones (which aren't sugary sweet either).

For most Aussies, we approach the idea of pumpkin pie, ie dessert, the same way you might approach pumpkin soup. Ditto for non-dessert salads and vegetable dishes involving marshmallows.
Sykesville, Maryland
7,926 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
OP- if you like chocolate you have to try the warm chocolate melting cake for dessert

carhops- if you are really worried about wasting the food, ask your waiter for a half bowl of the soup instead of a full one. they are usually pretty accomodating

and dont forget that you can order the pasta dishes as an appetizer so you have room for trying more food
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michelle
[email protected]

Pride7/10/09 Fascination7/10/10 Freedom 7/31/10, Miracle 6/23/11 Pride 7/15/12, Pride 11/2/12, Glory 5/24/13, Glory 5/31/13, Glory 6/16/13, Liberty 7/13/13 Fantasy 12/26/13, Freedom 7/13/14, Fantasy 8/14, Legend Alaska 7/14/15, Fantasy 12/5/15, Breeze 7/10/16, Grandeur of the Seas 8/13/16
674 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by michelle1836
OP- if you like chocolate you have to try the warm chocolate melting cake for dessert

carhops- if you are really worried about wasting the food, ask your waiter for a half bowl of the soup instead of a full one. they are usually pretty accomodating

and dont forget that you can order the pasta dishes as an appetizer so you have room for trying more food

I am so looking forward to the melting cake ^_^ after hearing all the positive responses and the pictures of it I want one now lol. I know I am going to be so hooked the name alone sounds so yum
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Sensation 12-8-13
Sensation 12-8-12

and