Scenic Bordeaux

Solent Richard

Having recently completed a river cruise of the Bordeaux region I was prompted to write a review of additional sights that could be visited while berthed in Bordeaux itself.

35208195474_e583ffdbc1_z.jpg

We had a number of free afternoons so I took myself off with my camera and the resulting review is here with over 50 photographs of some of the best spots in Bordeaux...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/08/11/one-way-to-do-bordeaux/

29818677400_3de32d332b_z.jpg

30236307151_9920efa49e_z.jpg

A question re another stop on Scenic's Bordeaux river cruise: I understand that there is a dinner at a chateau. Does one walk from the boat to it, or do they bus you over? If it is a walk, what is the distance and is it over cobblestones? We are going on this trip in a couple of weeks, and are trying to determine what kind of shoes to pack for that evening. The idea of high heels for a long walk over cobblestones holds little appeal.

A question re another stop on Scenic's Bordeaux river cruise: I understand that there is a dinner at a chateau. Does one walk from the boat to it' date=' or do they bus you over? If it is a walk, what is the distance and is it over cobblestones? We are going on this trip in a couple of weeks, and are trying to determine what kind of shoes to pack for that evening. The idea of high heels for a long walk over cobblestones holds little appeal.[/quote']

There was quite a distance to the Chateau Giscours and there were coaches laid on.

It was a spectacular evening with a drinks reception and string music on arrival...

29967577076_1e46fc19eb_z.jpg

followed by a tour of the Chateau and then onto dinner...

29888001612_30325a33f8_z.jpg

There was quite a distance to the Chateau Giscours and there were coaches laid on.

It was a spectacular evening with a drinks reception and string music on arrival...

29967577076_1e46fc19eb_z.jpg

[/img]

We did this last year and the outdoor area was gravel. Most the women wore heels and it was a bit of a challenge. We did not enjoy the evening as much as Solent Richard and heard the same from many others on our sailing. Food was just ok, venue was a wedding type hall. Ride was a bit long.

Cruise Critic just reviewed this cruise and had similar comments on that particular event. The Scenic Sundowner on the other hand was a real highlight!

Edited by caviargal

Great blog and beautiful pictures! We visited Bordeaux in 2010 on the Silver Cloud, and we were small enough to dock right in town. We didn't do quite as much as you did in the town itself, but I would say I recognize about half of what you posted. Thanks for the post!

Having recently completed a river cruise of the Bordeaux region I was prompted to write a review of additional sights that could be visited while berthed in Bordeaux itself.

Appreciate your nice map, all of the visuals and details, etc. Excellent!! Yes, Bordeaux is wonderful!! Below are six of my pictures from being there in June. Loved the architecture, history, culture, charm, people, food, wine, etc. More details on my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is a quick sampler of our initial sights from being in Bordeaux in June. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!! The weather was very hot this day, up in the 90'sF, but we survived well. First is my cute visual of father and son near the Place de la Bourse, a popular square in Bordeaux built between 1730 and 1775, with them being in its ‘Miroir d’eau’ (water . mirror). This is a reflecting pool on the docks in the center of Bordeaux. Next are a couple of visuals from one of the older, neighborhood churches. Fourth is one of the towers of the old gate from what was a walled structure to protect the older city in those historic days.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

June%202017A%201588_zps1qj3tyyv.jpg

June%202017A%201589_zpsuaczeef9.jpg

June%202017A%201590_zpsfcak6xd7.jpg

Here is part of the city’s Cathedrale Saint-Andre de Bordeaux, consecrated in 1096, with the modern rail line passing in front. No subways in Bordeaux. No basements here, either. The water table is too high in Bordeaux for such underground construction.:

June%202017A%201592_zps9cvcl31r.jpg

We visited the new and very innovative La Cite du Vin. Like its unique style in being built with glass, concrete and steel like a wine decanter? This wine museum highlights wines from around the world, including so much about Bordeaux and its efforts to advance wine production and quality. At its top is an observation area and wine tasting area. More work in testing wines? Yes, that was our duty and job on this day! In this wine tasting and observation area, they had a special ceiling made up of hanging glass wine bottles.:

June%202017A%201596_zpsimvuamxt.jpg

• 1 month later...
A question re another stop on Scenic's Bordeaux river cruise: I understand that there is a dinner at a chateau. Does one walk from the boat to it' date=' or do they bus you over? If it is a walk, what is the distance and is it over cobblestones? We are going on this trip in a couple of weeks, and are trying to determine what kind of shoes to pack for that evening. The idea of high heels for a long walk over cobblestones holds little appeal.[/quote']

This is being discontinued next season, and will be replaced with a concert only.

This is being discontinued next season, and will be replaced with a concert only.

What a shame! I know some people didn't care for the dinner, and I have to admit that the food was above par for a large-group meal, but not outstanding. But, overall, the evening was something really special.