Beverage package in Hawaii - legal issues?

KeithJenner

My understanding was that the reason why NCL don't offer the UBP on the Pride of America is because local laws don't allow unlimited alcoholic packages to be offered.

In the U.K., they have just moved over to all inclusive rates, and they state that this now includes Hawaii.

I have a booking on the POA for next summer and it would make sense to cancel and rebook to get the UBP. However, my concern would be if by the time we get there it has changed, so we just end up with a soda package or something.

I'm sure NCL have done their research, but we also know that they are sometimes not the most reliable.

Does anyone with any knowledge of the legalities of this have any views as to why they are able to offer this to us, but not others. Maybe it is because the whole christening is "all inclusive", rather than just selling an alcohol package. I think I'm going to do it, but would like some reassurance.

There are "booze cruises" in Hawaii that take you out for the evening with unlimited open bar included in the price, so offering the UBP as part of the cruise fare would seem to fall under the same loophole. I say "loophole" because the state laws clearly state in a general way that commercial practices that "promote excessive consumption of liquor" are prohibited (§281-78.5). However, it's up to local liquor commissions to identify specific practices and prohibit them, and they don't actually seem to go very far with this. The rules in Honolulu say:

§3-84-78.5. PRACTICES TO PROMOTE EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF LIQUOR; PROHIBITED.

§3-84-78.51. Practices to Promote Consumption of Liquor, Prohibited.

(a) No licensee shall promote the excessive consumption of liquor, or sell or offer to sell any liquor to any person who appears to be intoxicated from the excessive use of intoxicating liquor.

(b) No licensee of any premises licensed to sell liquor for consumption on the premises shall:

(1) Sell, advertise or offer to sell “all the liquor you can drink” for a fixed price.

(2) Encourage or permit any game or contest that involves the consumption of liquor or the awarding of liquor as a prize.

§3-84-78.52. Repealed.

The bit that was repealed (in 2014) was the rule against "stacking" of drinks (letting people order more than one drink at a time).

I'm guessing that the interpretation is that as long as they are not charging a separate fixed price for the UBP (but simply saying it's included in your fare), they are not breaking the law. I would keep in mind that they rules can always be updated, but they seem to going in the direction of chipping away at the restrictions, not tightening them.

I'm not sure that you are geting your $$ worth buying a Beverage Pkg on the POA Hawaii Cruise with soooo much Island Time off the ship ?

It isn't buying the beverage package I'm referring to. The price to cancel and rebook at the all inclusive rate isn't a great deal more than my current booking, so we would be getting the drinks for less than they would cost at bar prices, even without drinking too much.

There is just no point doing it if it changes and we find that we've just got the soda package.

There are "booze cruises" in Hawaii that take you out for the evening with unlimited open bar included in the price, so offering the UBP as part of the cruise fare would seem to fall under the same loophole. I say "loophole" because the state laws clearly state in a general way that commercial practices that "promote excessive consumption of liquor" are prohibited (§281-78.5). However, it's up to local liquor commissions to identify specific practices and prohibit them, and they don't actually seem to go very far with this. The rules in Honolulu say:

The bit that was repealed (in 2014) was the rule against "stacking" of drinks (letting people order more than one drink at a time).

I'm guessing that the interpretation is that as long as they are not charging a separate fixed price for the UBP (but simply saying it's included in your fare), they are not breaking the law. I would keep in mind that they rules can always be updated, but they seem to going in the direction of chipping away at the restrictions, not tightening them.

Thanks, that's useful.

It will be interesting when people who booked these rates start using it. Considering nobody can even buy the package on the POA, a small group of people with it will cause some confusion, potentially amongst staff as well as other passengers.

From my experience in Alaska (when we were amongst something like 6 Europeans onboard), it could sometimes be very few people with it.

I think we will probably go for it. I'm so used to having the beverage package now that going back to messing around with buckets of beer would be a bit of a pain.

NCL website claims that Premium drinks package applies to all ships.

This was announced from today 6th April, so having booked through an agent last week do I get this premium drinks package as the Pride of America will be serving al inclusive drinks to all or just some? I am trying to clarify this via my agent and NCL but does anyone know what is happening????:confused:

The inclusive package applies to new bookings only. That's why I am trying to decide whether to cancel my existing booking and rebook the inclusive rate.

They certainly won't be serving all inclusive to all. It will be a tiny minority. Potentially a handful of people per cruise at times.

This was announced from today 6th April, so having booked through an agent last week do I get this premium drinks package as the Pride of America will be serving al inclusive drinks to all or just some?

If you booked last week, your booking does not include this offer. And even after today, most people booking POA will not have all-inclusive drinks, because it is only available for European bookings (whereas most of the passengers are Americans/Canadians).

You are in the same situation as KeithJenner, where you need to consider whether it's worth rebooking with the new offer.

There was a discussion about this last year but I forget the outcome. I have not seen anything that says the local law has changed.

OK. Found some notes, the UBP is not allowed as it's deemed to encourage drinking by those who purchase it. However if drinks are all inclusive, for everyone on board - like on a "sunset sail" off Waikiki Beach, then that's OK.

So, making POA all inclusive like NCL Sky satisfies the law.

Whether that's in fact correct I don't know:eek:

Just curious. Why is this only UK?

Are most cruisers American and they want a better demographic?

Also.....regularly if the same cruise purchased in UK same room and ship etc....is it the same price purchased by Americans?\

Thanks

Kerri

Just curious. Why is this only UK?

Are most cruisers American and they want a better demographic?

This isn't actually a good thing. Fares have increased by a few hundred pounds (after you take into account the DSC) and all we really get that wasn't already an option with free at sea is some water and coffee.

My guess as to why it's Europe only is that many people from here grumble about the DSC (and many apparently remove it). Lots of comments asking why it isn't included in the fare. The result is that those people have got their way and, as the rest of us predicted, fares have increased by about double the amount.

Adding the open bar is another matter. It skews the prices for those who don't drink, but to be honest that happened when free at sea was introduced. I don't actually think the open bar has made much difference to the pricing. Adding it just forces everyone to take it, even if they don't drink and would prefer OBC or the dining package.

Hi Keith Jenner. We are booked on the POA for October this year. To book the same cruise today would cost us £200 more . I asked my travel agent to check with NCL to ask how much they would charge for us to receive the All inclusive package and they have said £200pp. Can I ask how much more its costing you?

im hoping someday this all works out that you can get the UBP or some sort of all inclusive for the POA. the fares to cruise POA are always high and to then spend thousands on airfare to get to/from there and then another thousand on booze for the week just makes this itinerary unaffordable.

We're pretty big partiers, especially on vacation but even at the higher prices (most of what I drank was about $13 with tip) & our bar bill was less than 1/2 of what is was before the UBP was instituted. (If the prices has been the same -- my drinks used to cost about $7-8, the bill would have been about 1/3) We're also those that get their money's worth out of the package.

The reality is there is no time to drink aboard ship. You are up & out early. With all the running around on the islands, were asleep by midnight. If we got in a drink before dinner, a bottle of wine at dinner & maybe 2 nightcaps that was a hard drinking night on POA.

i like grey goose which i think now is $13.95 per drink under the new pricing plan.

10 of those per day is $140 right there.

so assuming we each had just 5 drinks per day (which trust me, we will have more than that), there's the $1000.

This isn't actually a good thing. Fares have increased by a few hundred pounds (after you take into account the DSC) and all we really get that wasn't already an option with free at sea is some water and coffee.

My guess as to why it's Europe only is that many people from here grumble about the DSC (and many apparently remove it). Lots of comments asking why it isn't included in the fare. The result is that those people have got their way and, as the rest of us predicted, fares have increased by about double the amount.

Adding the open bar is another matter. It skews the prices for those who don't drink, but to be honest that happened when free at sea was introduced. I don't actually think the open bar has made much difference to the pricing. Adding it just forces everyone to take it, even if they don't drink and would prefer OBC or the dining package.

Thanks

I never understood all the griping about the DSC(service charge correct?) Everyone works hard and deserves it IMO.

However....now that I have been travelling out of my country and seeing more of Europe these past few years I understand it more.

It is a cultural thing. Tipping is much less I realized in Europe as a whole. You just round up slightly it seems and everyone happy. Here tipping has gotten completely out of control!!

One cannot drive through starbucks without seeing a tip jar at window....Ridiculous.

So it does make sense if they included tips on the fares especially from Europe so people are paid a decent wage...but booze...Hey everyone want that:D

But Europe is a looooong way to Hawaii so heck ya deserve the booze after that flight.

Kerri

So £200 works out at approx $250 divided by 7 days = $35 per day. Without the package - If I drank 4 glasses of prosecco a day it would cost $14 each x 4 = $56 plus 18% gratuity = $66 including gratuities per day. Then soft drinks, coffee and bottled water as well. So I think it would be worth it for me.

you may be able to find some pics online... some have posted menus and drink lists.

i know that the Captain Morgan and Grey Goose we drink is included. The weird thing tho, is only plain grey goose. flavored grey goose isnt included.