Is there a way to use my iPhone in Europe?

aimathy

Hi all,

Any advice would be appreciated! I'd like to know if there is a way to use my iPhone in Europe. I've gotten a few answers from people, but it seems like I'm getting alot of conflicting information. For example, I was told that I can just replace the sim card for each area we're in, but then someone else told me that iPhones are locked and you can't do that. I'm confused! Obviously, I'd love the ease of being able to keep my own phone and use it during our trip.

We will be spending a week in Paris, then a day in London and then a two week Mediterranean cruise that goes to Gibraltar, Rome, Pisa, Genoa, Malaga, Villefranche and Lisbon.

I have an iPhone 4s and Verizon is our carrier.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I appreciate it!

Hi all,

Any advice would be appreciated! I'd like to know if there is a way to use my iPhone in Europe. I've gotten a few answers from people, but it seems like I'm getting alot of conflicting information. For example, I was told that I can just replace the sim card for each area we're in, but then someone else told me that iPhones are locked and you can't do that. I'm confused! Obviously, I'd love the ease of being able to keep my own phone and use it during our trip.

We will be spending a week in Paris, then a day in London and then a two week Mediterranean cruise that goes to Gibraltar, Rome, Pisa, Genoa, Malaga, Villefranche and Lisbon.

I have an iPhone 4s and Verizon is our carrier.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I appreciate it!

Why not look at the FAQ of your provider;

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html

Yes, you can use it, however be aware of international data and roaming charges. It can get expensive depending on what type of international data package you select. Usually when traveling I leave my data off and check it periodically when I can connect to a wifi network in cafes and restaurants.

If you were planning on using it for lots of reference and maps you may be surprised at how much data you will be consuming.

Thanks for referring me to Verizon's info. However, I called them with this question and then went to a store with the same question...and I got two different answers. That's why I was hoping to ask and get info from someone that has actually done this with Verizon and an iPhone.

Nolatravelgirl, do you happen to know which plan you chose, if you had Verizon, when you've traveled? I'm hoping to cross reference my two Verizon answers with someone that actually did it, so I can get the "right" answer!

Thank you!

Verizon is the one to answer... but fwiw, I have an Iphone 4 and don't need to change hardware or anything when I travel. I used the phone in Japan and am about to go to Scandinavia and Russa, no new card. I have ATT don't know if that matters.

Just unlock the phone and get a global sim. Make sure you tell them where you are travelling. I had to select Italy/uk when in Italy and global elsewhere. Prepaid sims ensure you don't have a big bill when you get home and you can top up anytime

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for referring me to Verizon's info. However, I called them with this question and then went to a store with the same question...and I got two different answers. That's why I was hoping to ask and get info from someone that has actually done this with Verizon and an iPhone.

Nolatravelgirl, do you happen to know which plan you chose, if you had Verizon, when you've traveled? I'm hoping to cross reference my two Verizon answers with someone that actually did it, so I can get the "right" answer!

Thank you!

There is no one right answer for what plan to pick. It all depends on how much you want to be connected and what you plan on doing. If you just want emergency phone service and a quick peek at email while in port then pay as you go is probably right for you. If you go this route be sure to leave data services in airplane mode while in port or you will incur high fees without doing anything. If you plan on being more connected then Global Data plan is probably better. The question is would you rather put yourself n a data diet and just use your phone VERY sparingly or would you rather shell out $25 initially and still be careful as running through the allotted 100MB while traveling is easy to do.

In my experience, Verizon store personnel may not be the best sources of information. For example, I was in the market for a global phone a while ago. I saw what was available on line, then went into a store to check the size of various models (I like smaller phones). After comparing the models I was interested in, a clerk asked if he could help. I explained what I was doing and that I had already compared all the global models they had on hand. He suggested another model. I said the website said it wasn't global ready. He said it was. His boss confirmed that it was not. Then he suggested another model with the same outcome. So just be careful with in store info, especially for more esoteric products.

Try going to the Verizon Wireless website, sign into My Verizon, and then go to Support and onto Global Services. This should walk you through what is available from Verizon in the country you're going to visit for the exact model phone you have. If you are satisfied with the cost of the services offered, you can sign up for them then and there. As mentioned above, data is going to be pricey.

Edited by S1drfl

To my knowledge (things could have changed recently) Verizon uses CDMA technology which is incomparable with European systems which use GSM technology. So the answer is no you cannot use your Verizon iPhone. All of the talk about SIM cards does not apply to Verizon. However, in an effort to continue to pick your pocket, Verizon will lend you a phone that you can use. They will lend it to you for 30 days. You pay shipping both ways. I think you keep your number. Another however, Do not repeat do not keep data turned on you will get a surprise bill when you return.

The best advice is Verizon customer service.

Edited by goose30

We have bought an used phone from a local shop and use an European SIM card. We did this after the Razr that we were using was left in a hot car too many times.

You need to decide if you need the features of a smart phone or just want a phone for contacting others.

Now we have AT&T iPhones.

We use our older, unlocked ones in Italy and our current American phone stays safe with our passports.

To my knowledge (things could have changed recently) Verizon uses CDMA technology which is incomparable with European systems which use GSM technology. So the answer is no you cannot use your Verizon iPhone. All of the talk about SIM cards does not apply to Verizon. However, in an effort to continue to pick your pocket, Verizon will lend you a phone that you can use. They will lend it to you for 30 days. You pay shipping both ways. I think you keep your number. Another however, Do not repeat do not keep data turned on you will get a surprise bill when you return.

The best advice is Verizon customer service.

While this was true, the smartphones use multi bands and are usable globally. You can add the global features to your smartphone and tablet for the period of time you are traveling and then revert back to your regular plan once you return. Global phone features can be bought separately from the global data feature. I think that the global data is 100MB for $25/month. Use the website and also call 611 and ask for the global help desk for detailed assistance regarding phone usage in the countries you will be visiting.

Verizon works great globally -same as in the USA.

Many people in Europe buy a phone and contract with a carrier which provides a sim card. It is cheaper than American carriers. The iphone works on the European circuits, but must be unlocked for those sim cards to work. There are kiosks where time can be bought on the card. Unlocking the phone is controversial in the US as the contract says you cannot do it. There are programs online that do it, but it can be tricky and might mess up the system. It is best to go to a shop which will unlock the phone. If you are under contract, it may cause problems with your carrier, but if not under contract there should not be a problem. There are also companies which sell sim cards for this purpose to Americans. Google sim cards.

Edited by jamessemaj

As long as you have been a Verizon customer in good standing for at least 60 days, just call their Global Support number and ask for an unlock code. You can purchase a European SIM card (check clarkhoward.com) while here in the US and you are good to go to use your phone cheaply while in Europe.