Turn Down Service on first night

hitnronladalle

Again you miss the point. It is not me saying they want to spend time with you. It is John Heald.

" while at the same time the stewards have much greater opportunity to interact with the guests in a more personalized fashion."

I just want to know what is different.

The quote about "spending more time interacting" is pure PR talk, don't give it a thought. It means nothing. As far as what's different it's hard to say. For one thing people have been reporting different experiences on different ships. It might be they are making the bed differently, or it may be a reference to people not getting an evening cabin service.

When you get on, tell the steward what services you are looking for. See if they tell you there is a problem. If there is, contact Guest Services to see if anything can be done (or a manager), if the steward doesn't have a problem with your request then you're all set.

The quote about "spending more time interacting" is pure PR talk, don't give it a thought. It means nothing. As far as what's different it's hard to say. For one thing people have been reporting different experiences on different ships. It might be they are making the bed differently, or it may be a reference to people not getting an evening cabin service.

When you get on, tell the steward what services you are looking for. See if they tell you there is a problem. If there is, contact Guest Services to see if anything can be done (or a manager), if the steward doesn't have a problem with your request then you're all set.

IMO, PR talk my behind!. He is eloquently trying to say that the requests from passengers, especially on the first night, are becoming overwhelming. One Steward doesn't have the time to address all the requests and they're not going to add more staff accomplish the task to do it all. If a Steward isn't inundated with requests, and he has time, you'll get the usual "turn down service".

It's all been so vague because it will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Sorry to say this but we as a society have become so much more demanding and as a business trying to save a buck..........this is what you get.

IMO, PR talk my behind!. He is eloquently trying to say that the requests from passengers, especially on the first night, are becoming overwhelming. One Steward doesn't have the time to address all the requests and they're not going to add more staff accomplish the task to do it all. If a Steward isn't inundated with requests, and he has time, you'll get the usual "turn down service".

Sorry to say this but we as a society have become so much more demanding and as a business trying to save a buck..........this is what you get.

Lol, well that is a view, if somewhat jaundiced. Conspiracy theory 101. Maybe, just maybe he was telling the truth. There is zero upside in lying, especially with you "knowing" everything and all.....

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Lol, well that is a view, if somewhat jaundiced. Conspiracy theory 101. Maybe, just maybe he was telling the truth. There is zero upside in lying, especially with you "knowing" everything and all.....

Sent from my iPhone

So true. How many thousands of people cruise each week on CCl and yet the people here seem to know it all including the ones who have no intention of ever cruising in CCL. Credibility ???

We just got off of the Triumph and the first day our room steward gave me a card to fill out. It didn't say anything about selecting both, but it also didn't have anything saying you couldn't. I said I can check both, right? He said, Yes, absolutely. Our room was taken care of twice a day, including the first night, and he kept our cooler filled wth ice. We both felt like he may have tidied up more than twice a day and took care of the cooler more frequently even, but we can't confirm because we seldom saw him (or his assistant) actually in our room.

He never gave any indication he was bothered by either request, and he was awesome.

I thought this was clear, but perhaps it is not. I am specifically referencing this statement: "enables the stewards to spend more time engaging and talking with the guests" Eloquence and your behind aside, this is an empty statement. There is nothing of substance in it. It is the equivalent of "Our goal is to provide outstanding service". Well thank God your goal was not to provide adequate service. Oh how I wish you were Guaranteeing me Outstanding Service, but how would we even measure that?

How much time should I now expect my Steward to spend engaging me? How much more time will they be talking with me? What will these conversations be about? What form will these extra engagements take? Why does the steward need more time to talk with passengers?

The OP noted that they were not wanting to have to be overly friendly with the Cabin Steward, I'm simply pointing out that THIS ONE STATEMENT is empty and they should not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone

By PR talk, I am not suggesting dishonesty. That would be a job for the legal department. PR talk, simply means a generic comment not meant to be taken literally. It also lacks anything tangible that can be directly measured. He didn't say anything concrete. "Our goal is to have the cabin steward be able to spend 10 minutes a day with each cabin guest to ensure we are meeting their needs." Instead he said Enable them to spend more time engaging and speaking with guests". A lovely sentiment and potentially completely true, but not measurable or tangible. There is nothing wrong with PR talk.

My guess is the "spending of more time" is based on complaints to John Heald regarding not seeing the steward at all and not knowing who he/she is/was.

Along with the complaints of not meeting the steward's even if the job done by him/her was wonderful, no additional tips were given because the cruisers didn't meet the steward nor engage in any conversation. I think that perhaps the stewards were complaining about not getting extra tips because of how many cabins they serviced etc, so now a "new" procedure is or may be introduced.

There were also complaints that if cabins were only serviced once daily, the tips should be reduced so I feel that was also taken into consideration by having the stewards "spend more time" with cruisers might have some re-think one service a day.

My guess is the "spending of more time" is based on complaints to John Heald regarding not seeing the steward at all and not knowing who he/she is/was.

Along with the complaints of not meeting the steward's even if the job done by him/her was wonderful, no additional tips were given because the cruisers didn't meet the steward nor engage in any conversation. I think that perhaps the stewards were complaining about not getting extra tips because of how many cabins they serviced etc, so now a "new" procedure is or may be introduced.

There were also complaints that if cabins were only serviced once daily, the tips should be reduced so I feel that was also taken into consideration by having the stewards "spend more time" with cruisers might have some re-think one service a day.

Well that's an aspect I had not thought of. Great insight!

If you are insinuating I have no intention of cruising CCL you are incorrect. Because it must make a difference to you, I have many CCL cruises under my belt. And I know nothing!! Again it was my opinion. And yeah ya'll do seem to know it all and no other opinion in available for consideration.

I never said JH was lying. WOW And why the me "knowing" everything in all comment ?.......when I said "in my honest opinion"? it is my opinion doing business. Being "politically correct" . Mean much?

What does doing business have to do with an opinion of what an unrelated company says.....again what do they have to gain?

Sent from my iPhone

We continue to provide turndown service the first evening of the cruise in a slightly modified format that enables the stewards to spend more time engaging and talking with the guests. The look of the bed is slightly different and guests continue to receive a towel animal and the Fun Times newsletter while at the same time the stewards have much greater opportunity to interact with the guests in a more personalized fashion. I hope this helps and please do ask me if you have anything further

Don't waste your time "engaging" with me. Just do your job. That would include turn down service every evening including the FIRST night.

I expect room service twice a day or my service fee will reflect such.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just put the "do not disturb" tag on our door, left it there pretty much all day until we left for dinner in the evening and that's when our room steward would come swooping in and tidy up the beds and leave us the cute little towel animals along with our Fun Times for the following day. Once we returned to our cabins after dinner, we'd put the tag back up on the door until the following evening... no big deal.

If you don't want the room steward to come, just leave the "do not disturb" tag on your door for the entire cruise.

Leaving the DND sign up for the entire cruise will only ensure a wellness/health check from security. Stewards are not allowed to enter while the DND sign is up but if it's up for an extended period of time and you are not seen security will be notified and a room check will be done to ensure you are safe and have not suffered a medical event in your room.

Their "job" is what Carnival instructs them to do. Please do not punish the stewards for performing to the standards of their employer.

Don't waste your time "engaging" with me. Just do your job. That would include turn down service every evening including the FIRST night.

I expect room service twice a day or my service fee will reflect such.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Liberty and first night service was as usual. When we returned from dinner the bed was turned down, we had a towel animal and the Funtimes on the bed and we had fresh ice.

Edited by DebJ14

We have been on at least two cruises in the past couple of years where we did not have turn down service the first night. I cannot remember which ships, as we cruise 2-3 times per year and it is difficult to remember the details. We also did not have a towel animal the first night, but did have a copy of the fun times.