More Air Deviation Questions

Rumpymuffin

As the deviation fee is non-refundable, it has to be paid as soon as you accept the deviation.

And maryiizcat, no such luck in the US getting any cruise line to take responsibility for flight delays. Clearly spelled out in the T's and C's

Yes, as I said, I realised it obviously doesn’t apply in the US. I just thought I would point out that there are exceptions. You do have a worldwide audience here on CC after all. So some may get the wrong message with blanket assertions.

All of this opens up another question.

If you can not get the seats you want on a flight what is the advantage of using O air?:confused:

Is the only real advantage, except for a lower price, that you do not have to pay for the flights until final payment?

This would be to ones advantage if there was a possibility that with flights 10 months away you or O might decide to cancel the cruise. The $175 pp deviation fee you paid to choose flights then is all that you would loose instead of the entire flight charges if you booked on your own.

As the deviation fee is non-refundable, it has to be paid as soon as you accept the deviation.

And maryiizcat, no such luck in the US getting any cruise line to take responsibility for flight delays. Clearly spelled out in the T's and C's

You may be right, as I get the deviation included I’m not sure. What I do know for a fact is if you have an additional charge on the flights you select then it’s not due until final. I just had that situation.

All of this opens up another question.

If you can not get the seats you want on a flight what is the advantage of using O air?:confused:

The advantage using the DEVIATION is that you usually get the flights & routing you want sometimes for a lower fare

You really need to compare what it will cost you to DIY

Sometimes O air works out cheaper for us sometimes not

Is the only real advantage, except for a lower price, that you do not have to pay for the flights until final payment?

This would be to ones advantage if there was a possibility that with flights 10 months away you or O might decide to cancel the cruise. The $175 pp deviation fee you paid to choose flights then is all that you would loose instead of the entire flight charges if you booked on your own.

Yes that is how it works ..not sure if O cancels the cruise if they would still keep the deviation fee or not .. I have not had that experience

Maybe someone who has paid the fee & had their cruise cancelled by O will comment

This is a common topic and it all centers around control When you take O's deviation, except in a very few situations, Tahiti being one< your are far far better off using your FF miles , picking the exact flight, picking the exact seat, picking the exact route.

You will pay a lot to O to play this airline roulette. Have to wait till the last min to get a seat, Most all good ones are gone 90 days out! Pick your class of service, even get a complimentary up-grades if your an elite flyer doing it your self.

As An example I just booked a LAX to Rome for next may, with FF miles, got a comp up-grade to Business lie flat seat, Flying Non stop in a A380.... and given 2 bags up to 70@. and totaly changeable/ refundable for a small fee ( $100)

I have been traveling this way for 20 + years and in every case my arrangements beat in comfort and cost/schedule anything O has ever offered

Look at the $175 deviation fee as nothing more than putting $175 on the Pass Line on a crap's table.... nothing more.

Your call.... it your time and money. You can always get more money, but not more time....use it wisely

Just completed my deviation request for Marina trans-Atlantic. Nonstop EWR to Lisbon. Rio to EWR was red-eye to Miami and a 5 hour (4:30 AM Start) layover. Asked for a change. New routing is thru Houston and a 2 hour change time. Carried a $100. charge. Same time to EWR.