Free unlimited valet laundry on 2018 mediterranean voyages

ededmd

Speaking as someone who just hit Gold and finally got to enjoy my one free bag of laundry, it does bother me that first-time Regent customers are receiving a better benefit (free unlimited laundry) on a first cruise than I get (one bag a week) after 75+ nights. Petty? Maybe. But that's how I feel.

I understand that the benevolent Mr. Regent wants to bestow goodies upon the newbies, but he has to remember that it's the returning customers that keep them afloat (pun intended). I'm not saying that Regent shouldn't tweak their benefits and incentives, but they need put a bit more thought into the potential downsides of doing that stuff.

Just like giving 'free unlimited internet' to everyone reduced the effectiveness of the system for those who already had unlimited internet, giving 'free unlimited laundry' will invariably compromise service for those who already have unlimited laundry. It's not possible to dramatically increase the workload without compromising either speed or quality. It just can't be done.

If they want to include laundry, or priority boarding, or any other perks, that's their prerogative. But they also have to be aware of the possibility of alienating their more loyal customer base. I'm not really sure how much market research they do on these changes, but I think they probably need to do a bit more...

Sorry UUNetBill, I didn't mean to tack on to your post; just wanted a quick say!

As a Platinum SSS level member (vested interest in "free" laundry) and one who has reserved a Fall Med cruise on Voyager (very vested interest in the "free laundry for all" situation), let me suggest a pause in this discussion until we see: 1) how well it works (or doesn't) in practice this summer and 2) what Regent does for higher-level SSS members on such cruises.

Sorry UUNetBill, I didn't mean to tack on to your post; just wanted a quick say!

As a Platinum SSS level member (vested interest in "free" laundry) and one who has reserved a Fall Med cruise on Voyager (very vested interest in the "free laundry for all" situation), let me suggest a pause in this discussion until we see: 1) how well it works (or doesn't) in practice this summer and 2) what Regent does for higher-level SSS members on such cruises.

Deep - you're right. We all tend to get worked up over change, and often it's not that bad. But I will go out on a limb here and say that I don't see the 'free laundry' working any better than 'free internet'. Time will tell.

1- we have been recommending Regent to some friends. They finally booked their first cruise in the Med on the Voyager this summer. I told them about the free laundry. They thought it was nice but that wasn't a reason for them to book their cruise.

2- we are gold, our friends are newbies. We earned one bag of laundry per week, they get unlimited. Do I care? Somewhat. But, I have important things to worry about. We are doing a Navigator cruise in Northern Europe at the same time. Our ship is completely sold out. No free laundry for everyone.

3-should Regent care? I think so, if so many SSS members are upset.

4- come on folks-- this was just a promotion. If it helps sell Med sailings for them, that's good. If the ships go out half empty, guess who will make up the difference, in the long run? Us, with higher pricing.

5- it's all about the bottom line. That's capitalism!

Sheila

Travelcat2.....sincerely.....there is not a kind and benevolent "Mr. Regent" who is lovingly looking out for you and yours. The company wants to make money. Your idea to vote with your wallet is exactly the right way to do it. It is a giant chess game where clients try their best to get the cheapest price for themselves using all kinds of strategies and the company does their best to figure out ways to get it back. It's not personal. As long as they deliver exactly what they advertise and you are paying for you shouldn't be disappointed. The fact is they have not always done so and the free internet is a stellar example. You can't take this so personally. As long as customers feel they are getting value for $$$ the game plays along. If marketing tells them they need to appeal to a different segment of travelers to make things work for the company, that's what they are going to do and if a few loyal clients go elsewhere.....oh well.

I'm very much in agreement with your statement that there is not a kind and benevolent "Mr. Regent" who is lovingly looking out for you and yours”. That was part of the point that I was trying to make in an earlier post about Regent's film-flam advertising of "free" everything that you pay for, fake news about the quality of its internet, and in essence taking away a special benefit of long time, expensive-to-acquire loyalty without replacing it with something. These are just examples of questionable practices that one might associate with unsavory businesses rather than a management team with a high level of integrity. Mr. Regent seems to have inherited a bit of probelmatic DNA somewhere along the line.

Many companies have devalued their frequent guest programs in various ways. One of the more egregious involved United airlines when the company took away a "life-time benefit" earned by its million-mile fliers. The case ended up in court and United won, in essence because United had the right to change the terms of its frequent flyer program even though it promised a life-time benefit (http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0). This was a wake-up call for me about loyalty programs.

I have no confidence that Mr. Regent's management team has any more integrity than the management teams of other travel-industry related companies. In general, I'm making my travel decisions based on current factors such as itinerary, convenience, quality, price, company reputation, etc., rather than loyalty program promises. I've had mostly very good experiences with Regent's onboard product, but other elements of the Regent experience, such as the advertising promises, website information, and customer service center responses too often can’t be trusted. I'm disappointed with Mr. Regent.

Exactly, Cruisetheseas. That was the point I tried to make above. The million mikes club means nothing anymore. Now it's all about Global Services on United which is based on revenue and actually like a secret society. I "got in" but a friend who also travels and spends a lot on airfare was never offered it and has no idea why not.

The greater point being ALL companies have changed their loyalty perks and more and more are basing perks on how much you spend each time or each year and not offering perks infinitum.

Agree with others that there is much ado about this without understanding the real impact. Because right now the higher level sss members still have the perk! And some are speculating about service levels without the data yet to support their claims. Voyager may or may not be a limit test. For me on a 7 night cruise, I may not bother sending out laundry because the trip is so short and I'm particular about my clothing ensuring the harshness of an industrial washer. Others was feel the same, but like I said only time will tell later in the year.

Once again - this is NOT about changing their loyalty perks. Regent did that fairly recently and no one said a negative word about it. This is about an active loyalty program that is being given away to newbies as a promotion (IMO, there are plenty of other incentives available without touching the loyalty program). I should have known better than to compare cruise lines with airlines that are highly regulated by the FAA, ATC, etc. As I have said many times, you cannot compare cruise lines air lines and hotels. I still believe this but made the mistake by making a comparison - my bad!

Don’t know to politely state that most of my comments on this thread are targeting Platinum and above Seven Seas Society members. These are the only passengers that have earned unlimited free laundry and therefore would be the most affected by Regents laundry promotion.

And, I am sure you can try to politely state-----?????

How many comments in this thread are from Platinum and above? Me thinks, not many!!

Also, think about the fact that this summer, Gold members on cruises outside of the Mediterranean will receive one bag of laundry per week while someone taking their first Regent cruise in the Mediterranean will receive unlimited laundry. ☹️

Note: just mentioned this as happening to me and a friend this summer. But-- it's not the end of the world! Don't be sad for me. Be sad about important things.

Don’t know to politely state that most of my comments on this thread are targeting Platinum and above Seven Seas Society members. These are the only passengers that have earned unlimited free laundry and therefore would be the most affected by Regents laundry promotion.

And, I am sure you can try to politely state-----?????

How many comments in this thread are from Platinum and above? Me thinks, not many!!

Also, think about the fact that this summer, Gold members on cruises outside of the Mediterranean will receive one bag of laundry per week while someone taking their first Regent cruise in the Mediterranean will receive unlimited laundry. ☹️

Note: just mentioned this as happening to me and a friend this summer. But-- it's not the end of the world! Don't be sad for me. Be sad about important things.

Sheila - I did politely state that my comments were for Platinum and above Seven Seas Society members and I understand that most posters on this thread are not in that category. I made that statement so that it is understood that I am not putting down people that have yet to reach these levels but want them to understand that it is sometimes different for those of us that spent years to attain these benefits.

You did say that you "cared somewhat" about your friend getting unlimited laundry when you get only one bag per week.

No, this is not the end of the world and I'm not sad for you or anyone else. Thankfully I do not have anything to be sad about (other than what has happened to too many people in the word lately). I care about what happens to Regent's long term loyal customers because I am one. And, who better to bring up these issues than customers that have already proven their loyalty to Regent? Regent likely wants to keep their loyal customer AND gain new ones. This makes sense but they seem to be alienating loyal customers - customers that they know will be booking more cruises (or have more cruises already b booked) in favor of customers that may only book one cruise on Regent.

Okay - this is going in circles once again. Just wanted to address the post.

We are both Platinum members of the SSS and cruise regularly with Regent. We have no objection to Regent offering the laundry promotion on Med cruises this summer, and hope that guests enjoy the benefit.

Our lack of resentment to this promotion being offered is based on the following:

• We have no Med cruises booked with Regent this summer, so this promotion will have no direct impact on us. If we do decide to book a late deal it will likely be on Seabourn or Silversea in order to check out the latest offerings on those other luxury lines
  • The promotion will help to fill Regent's ships and may attract new guests to the brand. This is all good for a company that we love and support
  • If, and this is a big if, Regent decide to extend free laundry to other cruises at least they will have tested out the idea to ensure that the ships' laundries and laundry staff have sufficient capacity to cope
  • We are sure that Regent management will review SSS benefits for Gold members and above if they do decide to make laundry & pressing one of the inclusive benefits on all their itineraries