how much time to allow to get back on ship

veejaydoubleu

I've been on a couple cruises, but clearly the reboarding process in Havana might be a little different. To the seasoned vets out there, how much time would you recommend to allow the process of reboarding? We'll be stopping on Majesty of the Seas with RCCL July 6th, arrive 7am, depart 4 pm.

Other than taking a few minutes to exchange any CUCs back to your local currency, what makes you think the reboarding process will take longer than it does elsewhere?

I guess I envisioned having to pass back through customs, some need to review receipts or activity participated in to ensure compliance with Visa requirements...

I guess I envisioned having to pass back through customs, some need to review receipts or activity participated in to ensure compliance with Visa requirements...

You will drop your packages on a conveyor belt and walk through screening (like an airport), but that moves right along. Staff seemed bored, IMO.

And yes, you do go through customs each time, but they just glance at you, glance at the passport, and wave you through. Again, staff seemed bored.

The compliance issues you mention (not related to the Visa, by the way) are on the US side, Cuba does not care how you spent your time. They are happy to see tourists.

The Customs agents once you are back in the US also just wave you through, as with any cruise. They will ask you about rum and cigars, but even if you are over your limit (I was), they don't care.

So to answer your question - maybe 10 minutes from the street to the ship, depending on how fast you walk, or if you are behind a bus load arriving back at the same time.

You will drop your packages on a conveyor belt and walk through screening (like an airport), but that moves right along. Staff seemed bored, IMO.

And yes, you do go through customs each time, but they just glance at you, glance at the passport, and wave you through. Again, staff seemed bored.

The compliance issues you mention (not related to the Visa, by the way) are on the US side, Cuba does not care how you spent your time. They are happy to see tourists.

The Customs agents once you are back in the US also just wave you through, as with any cruise. They will ask you about rum and cigars, but even if you are over your limit (I was), they don't care.

So to answer your question - maybe 10 minutes from the street to the ship, depending on how fast you walk, or if you are behind a bus load arriving back at the same time.

Thanks much!

We brought back some original artwork. They removed it from the conveyor belt and sent us to a desk where they told us we had to buy some sort of tax stamp. We were directed to a nearby currency exchange desk where we paid 3 CUCs for a stamp. We then returned to the desk, the stamp was affixed to the item and we went back to the conveyor belt. Things can happen.

33503586634_40957de983_b.jpg

34942502714_c4edde1f45_b.jpg

We brought back some original artwork. They removed it from the conveyor belt and sent us to a desk where they told us we had to buy some sort of tax stamp. We were directed to a nearby currency exchange desk where we paid 3 CUCs for a stamp. We then returned to the desk, the stamp was affixed to the item and we went back to the conveyor belt. Things can happen

That is exactly the type of art that I will be looking for. Can you please tell me where you purchased it and the price range? Thanks

We bought it in Cienfuegos, on Santa Isabel, between Parque José Martí and the waterfront, where there are vendors and artists, for 45 CUCs.

Thanks. We will only be in Havana so I may get lucky and see something I like at the markets.

Other than taking a few minutes to exchange any CUCs back to your local currency, what makes you think the reboarding process will take longer than it does elsewhere?

It took us almost two hours to reboard onto Majesty in Havana.

We were supposed to be on the ship by 3 iirc, we arrived at the terminal at 2pm.

I think we were late sailing.

Various excuses, narrow gangway, (3 abreast could walk up it), weather (There was a storm with lighning between 12 and 1)

Main reason I think was there being only 1 scanner in operation and the insistance that everyones hand luggage go through it.

Slowed everthing to a crawl.

This was the line to reboard prior to sailing.

Hopefully they have it better sorted nowadays

IMG_5303.thumb.JPG.5220ec53423679af9372a958ed4526f4.JPG

On Holland no wait to get off took 5 minutes thru customs 10 minutes to exchange money as we did a lot We came back at 5 walk thru customs freshened up went back thru customs back to exchange the money to us but kept some for dinner and the show. That all took no time and then came back at one still no lines to wait . Have waited longer in the Caribbean ports when we where on RCCL never again . I bought a lot of cigars and 6 bottles of rum and they did not care on the Cuban side and on the ship they took they rum which was normal . We put the cigars thru the scanner and the ship did not even ask how many