Caribbean Princess still in Falmouth at 1am

CanadianBurger

Due to high winds, the CB has been unable to leave Falmouth. We tried at 8pm, and I believe it took all the thrusters had for 30 minutes to get us back to the dock and tied up. We were in the Palm Dining Room, and the whole room was shaking like I’ve never experienced before. The departure from the east side of the dock has to be basically a NNE heading to avoid shallows, so the wind out of the northwest is still preventing us from leaving. With the CB’s reduced maximum speed, I fear our stop in Cartagena may be compromised.

8f070dfb349b8150a26db53c5458d682.jpg

4c94fdc4a09f4f9ac601fa2e7af83b00.jpg

See my LIVE for further updates:

LIVE From the Caribbean Princess - New Panama Canal - Dec 10, 2017

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2572524

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Forums

Jamaica would be the last place that I would want to stay overnight! I hope that it does not impact your stop in Cartagena. We were there last month and it is a beautiful city.

We had a similar situation happen when we tried to sail from Key West several years ago. The high winds forced the ship to tie back up. When we came out of dinner, it gave me quite a surprise to see that we hadn't sailed anywhere.

We shall be on the Caribbean Princess next month. I hope that we do not have the same problems.

We had a similar situation happen when we tried to sail from Key West several years ago. The high winds forced the ship to tie back up. When we came out of dinner, it gave me quite a surprise to see that we hadn't sailed anywhere.

Last December the Crown Princess was stuck at the dock in Ushuaia for more than 6 hours due to wind. We eventually made way towards Cape Horn in high seas but next morning the circumnavigation of the island was aborted due to the high winds and high seas. Of course being stuck in the 'roaring forties' and experiencing strong winds and seas is not as unexpected as experiencing them in the Caribbean.

OP - I concur with the other posters and hope that your port stop in Cartagena isn't impacted. It is a lovely and interesting city.

The bridge cam shows the CB at sea headed to Cartagena at 12:37 GMT today, December 13. At some point the ship was able to leave. In 2016 we were supposed to stop at Key West but due to high winds predicted, the captain decided to not try it. Cruise ships are very vulnerable with their high decks and flat sides.

Just been looking at marine traffic, as of a few minutes ago they had listed the ship bound for Cartagena. Just checked again and the destination is now Cristobal. Assume Colombia was cancelled.

Presently indicated off of Ocho Rios.

So, so sorry. As others have said, Cartagena is a wonderful city to see. Last time Cartagena was on our itinerary we made it to port but could not get off the ship!!! It was raining so hard and so long that the water was literally knee deep in Old Town and even if cruisers went on ship tours, they came back early and Princess refunded all tours of Cartagena whether or not you went. That's how bad it was. I mean we were right there and couldn't go to the city, so I know how frustrating it can be. Weather is a fickle friend in the Caribbean!

Pooh