Hotel recommendations in Venice

voyageoumourir

Hi everyone. I know that this has been covered on other threads and there is info (tripadvisor, fodors, etc) on the web, which i have gone over, but I am still confused so need some advice from the experienced travelers. We are planning on spending an extra night in Venice at the end of the cruise. If anyone else who has done this can recommend a hotel that is not too outrageously priced, and (I heard this is important) ieasy to get to from the boat, I would be eternally grateful. The problem is, even with a map, it is hard to tell which area would be most convenient from the cruise ship. Also, since it is a very busy weekend in May, alot of hotels are full

Thanks,

Susan H.

There are 2 hotels located directly ON Piazzale Roma. If stay there you would have NO bridges to cross. The Santa Chiara and Ca Doge. If you can manage one bridge there are several more choices ... Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino, Papodopoli,

This web site lists them by the number of bridges to cross and provides a map http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

We stayed at the Al Ponte Mocenigo, which was reasonably priced and #1 rated on tripadvisor when we booked... Not sure if it still is. It requries a vaporetto ride to get to, but once you exit the vaporetto it is very close, no stairs and a very short walk. A relataviely quiet place in Venice. However, we found that in Venice you end up buying a vaporetto pass anyway, not matter where you stay, and so this hotel was very convenient, because it was so close to a the stop.

The warm croissants in the courtyard were worth the trip to Venice.

I would stay there again if we return to Venice.

We stayed at Hotel Santa Chiara last month. It was as wonderful as everyone here said. And access to the People Mover and direct bus to the airport with no bridges!

So glad to read your post. I have booked this hotel for my pre-cruise stay. Thank you for making me feel more comfortable about it.

Carole

So glad to read your post. I have booked this hotel for my pre-cruise stay. Thank you for making me feel more comfortable about it.

Carole

Hi Carole

We also stayed there (and enjoyed it) and it shows briefly at 0.30 in this

Hope you (and everyone) is as lucky with the weather as I was, Tony

Hi everyone. I know that this has been covered on other threads and there is info (tripadvisor, fodors, etc) on the web, which i have gone over, but I am still confused so need some advice from the experienced travelers. We are planning on spending an extra night in Venice at the end of the cruise. If anyone else who has done this can recommend a hotel that is not too outrageously priced, and (I heard this is important) ieasy to get to from the boat, I would be eternally grateful. The problem is, even with a map, it is hard to tell which area would be most convenient from the cruise ship. Also, since it is a very busy weekend in May, alot of hotels are full

Thanks,

Susan H.

Susan, we stayed a the Arlecchino in October while getting ready to do the TA on the Ruby Princess. It is a small hotel but very clean, easy to get tothe Vaporetto's, The COOP for wine and wnything else you might need. There are good restaurants nearby and you only cross one little bridge to get ot it. In fact, you can see it when you get off the bus at the Piazalle Roma. But best yet, its only one block from the people mover which takes you out to the port area. Friendly staff, very clean, resonably priced and the breakfasts were outstanding.

Enjoy

Cheers, Kenn

Rick steeves recommends staying in Mestre---we are staying at the Best Western Bologna in Mestre: http://www.hotelbologna.com

While we often recommend the Rick Steves books here on CC, this is a case where we diverge :). Staying in Mestre is similar to staying in Newark, NJ when visiting Manhattan. The main advantages of Mestre are the lower prices in some motels/hotels and the ability to get to and from the port by car (although this is not cheap). Personally, when we visit Venice we want to stay in Venice! Although many Venice hotels are quite expensive, there are some decent properties that can be booked for reasonable prices.

Hank

We stayed at the Al Ponte Mocenigo, which was reasonably priced and #1 rated on tripadvisor when we booked... Not sure if it still is. It requries a vaporetto ride to get to, but once you exit the vaporetto it is very close, no stairs and a very short walk. A relataviely quiet place in Venice. However, we found that in Venice you end up buying a vaporetto pass anyway, not matter where you stay, and so this hotel was very convenient, because it was so close to a the stop.

Glad to hear, we will be there in July :p

i agree with Hank. Staying Mestre is more like staying in Brooklyn when visiting Manhattan. You can buy why? BTW my friend lives in Mestre- so I have stayed in Mestre. It's a residential area that houses most of the people who work in Venice. It's not dangerous or anything but it isn't charming.

Venice is fascinating. It is a treat to stay there because it is a place like no other. There are no cars and that is to me is what makes it otherworldly. You can find decent prices there if you shop around a bit.

GREAT to read this...we'll be there in October for 3 nights...yes, it's still #1 on TripAdvisor. ~~Judy

We've used hotel Olimpia which was very convenient for public transport and we enjoyed our stay. We've also stayed on the mainland to be close to the airport but really wouldn't recommend it much better to stay in Venice!

I really wanted to stay at Hotel Olimpia, but there are 4 of us traveling and they don't have rooms for 4 at all so I had find something else. Oh well.

Debra

I just booked at a Rick Steves recommended place between the train station and Rialo a few feet from a V stop. Locabda Ca San Maruola. It has wonderful reviews and a great price. Looks like a local, little place on a small canal. Anyone ever stay there?

• 2 weeks later...

Also agree that Mestre is a great place to stay. We stayed at Hotel Tritone...it was just across from the train station which made it very convenient to hop on and hop off to and from Venice. The hotel was not much on the outside, but very lovely and modern on the inside.

Archived