Prinsendam questions

poinsettiaplate

We originally had that stateroom booked, because of the oversize balcony, for a cruise next May. That stateroom has a connecting door making for awkward placement of a one-armed chair instead of a love seat or couch.

After we viewed photos of this room on the web site with 'facts' about 'Hal' we changed our mind, instead choosing an AB stateroom forward, upper promenade, also with larger balcony. These staterooms are over the theater but others have said the filter through noise from below is not a deal breaker. Guess we will find out.

Check out the 'actual' stateroom photos of 204 before you decide.

While on the 2018 WC, we did a Future Cruise Request for the Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage for 2020 on the Prinsendam. So sad that HAL has sold the Prinsendam and we'll be seeing the last of her in the summer of 2019.

We heard nothing but good experiences from people sailing this ship.

RIP walk in closets!

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers
Appearance

In another thread I read the crews cabins need renovations too? Is that right?

I haven't heard that. Haven't seen crew cabins other than one. The Captain's Day Room is gorgeous and certainly not in need of renovations ;)

There are crew on this ship that have been on for years. I can't see them sticking with the ship if the crew cabins are bad. JMO though :)

• 1 month later...
Will be on Prisendam in October, 2018 and have a guarantee inside cabin, think cheapest one. Just looked at the cabins on the deck plans and it's tiny. Sure wished I had requested a K or M. Does anyone think I may be lucky enough to get one of those? Was on Maasdam last year and had an ocean view, our first Holland cruise and had a great time. Hoping to enjoy this 26 day cruise as much. Any more info about her would be greatThanks

I also have a guarantee inside cabin on the same cruise-26 day Rome to FLL. I am traveling solo with a single supplement so

I had to keep it affordable. I'm 3 star so I'll see what they do for me. Carol

Based on the ship's schedule it appears they decided to forgo the refurb that was previously scheduled this Dec or they are going to do a quick one the week of 12/7. How much can be done in one week? This is the only time I see open as every remaining week is scheduled at sea. The P-Dam s booked through the final sailing next summer when it will be turned over to the new owner except for the week of 12/7. This concerns me a bit. This is an old ship that is now owned by people other than the carrier (HAL) we contracted with and paid for our transatlantic cruise next March. Our deposit is non refundable and it was a sizable one. I can't help but wonder where the incentive is for HAL or the new owner to keep this ship in top shape while HAL completes its lease-back and fulfills its cruise contracts with its customers. I don't think there is. I hope we are not going to hear or find that they cut corners on the remaining trips in order to save money and enhance their profits now that they have the Pdam sold.

Edited by cruise52
Correction

On our July cruise we were given the announcement of the sale of the Prinsendam, and were told that HAL had leased it until 7/1/19, when it will totally leave the fleet. Most of the itineraries will be reassigned to one of the mid sized ships. She will be missed.

On our July cruise we were given the announcement of the sale of the Prinsendam, and were told that HAL had leased it until 7/1/19, when it will totally leave the fleet. Most of the itineraries will be reassigned to one of the mid sized ships. She will be missed.

Yes, I understand that HAL has leased back the ship until July of next year. However, that's why I have some concern and question if the usual service will change or be reduced knowing that the ship is sold.

We get on board on Oct 14, 2018 for a 26 day cruise from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. There are 2 separate segments on this cruise with the first one stopping in Lisbon. I will try to post a quick short thread and describe the general condition of the ship. I am not too worried about the condition of the ship because I don't feel HAL will let it deteriorate and lessen the passengers cruise experience. HAL still has a reputation to up hold.

Yes, I understand that HAL has leased back the ship until July of next year. However, that's why I have some concern and question if the usual service will change or be reduced knowing that the ship is sold.

The same crew is staying on and they LOVE this ship as do the captains. I honestly can't see them letting things slide. The ship is a gem if you like the sense of cruising long ago.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. We are booked for next year before the news came out. Over 1/2 of my 5* status nearly will be done on this ship and for dam good reason ;)

We get on board on Oct 14, 2018 for a 26 day cruise from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. There are 2 separate segments on this cruise with the first one stopping in Lisbon. I will try to post a quick short thread and describe the general condition of the ship. I am not too worried about the condition of the ship because I don't feel HAL will let it deteriorate and lessen the passengers cruise experience. HAL still has a reputation to up hold.

I suspect all will be good (she is an older lady so you may see a few wrinkles)

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and if you enjoy the ship :)