Newbie question on how to unwrinkle packed clothes without high costs!

Gingergirl47

I learned the Ziplock bag packing method years ago and always use it when traveling. I use the 2 1/2 gallon Ziplock bags, fold each clothing item (knit tops, blouses, sweaters) very carefully and pile them into small groups, slide them into the bags, "burp" out the air thoroughly to create a vacuum in each bag, and close the zipper.The bags may slide around a bit inside suitcases during travel but the clothes do not, and arrive wrinkle free. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to have something ironed before wearing it in 40+ cruises, since I started using this method.

Also, I save large plastic bags, acquired during shopping, and layer them in with each pair of slacks or capri pants to reduce fold lines and unwanted creasing. I also use them when packing dresses, for the same reason.

I have not traveled without this in years. It heats up in about a minute and is easy to use. It's especially useful on cruises that don't have laundry facilities.

https://www.hsn.com/products/joy-900-watt-supreme-steam-go-mini-steamer-with-bag/7998220

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have that steamer and use it at home. It is a nice little clothes steamer , however, it is not allowed on most ships. No irons or steam ers are permittted on most cruise lines/ ships

Downy Wrinkle Release is a good alternative. Just hang the item, spray it and smooth it down. Cheaper than buying the product is to take a spray bottle and a dryer sheet. Put the sheet in the bottle and add water. But keep in mind that everyone is in the same situation. Some just ignore the wrinkles. Others of us who cruise a lot have wardrobes of clothing we travel with that doesn't show wrinkles, washes easily by hand and dries fast. EM

If you do opt to bring a bottle Downy Wrinkle Release, be sure to put it in a zip lock bag. The first time we brought one (several years ago), I put it in my suitcase without putting it in a zip lock bag. Consequently, it leaked. It took three days for my suitcase to dry out, but it smelled nice inside.

Early on in my business career I got a good clothing selection tutorial for a tailor. I started to buy some suits expressly for travel-both on the plane and in the suit bag/carry-on Made all the difference. They tended to be more expensive but they also lasted longer, looked better, and wore better. We do the same with casual clothes. Cruises now are typically a last minute add on to an independent land tour. We often do not know, when we leave the house, that we will be buying a cruise. It really depends on where we are travelling, how easy it is to reach the embarkation port, and of course how attractive the cruise fare is. We seldom travel with more than 2 pairs of shoes, one pair on our feet, the other lighter weight pair in our carry on.

I have that steamer and use it at home. It is a nice little clothes steamer , however, it is not allowed on most ships. No irons or steam ers are permittted on most cruise lines/ ships

All I can tell you is on every HAL cruise and on RC cruise they've always said it's fine. They've explained why that particular one is allowed and many others aren't, but I never pay attention. Lol

All I can tell you is on every HAL cruise and on RC cruise they've always said it's fine. They've explained why that particular one is allowed and many others aren't, but I never pay attention. Lol

Who (what position?) on a HAL cruise told you a clotthes steamer was permited? seriously, was it a cab in steward, Hotel Director, Enginnerering Depatment. Sgteamers are specifically not allowed ( no exceptions)....

. Don't bring it. They are a fire risk on ships. Please pay attention to such safety rules

I'll clarify. When boarding I pull it out of carry-on and show them and have always been told it's. Why would it be more of a fire hazard than a curling iron?

I do not make the rules, am not an electrician but after having sailed HAL about 100 cruises, am quite familiar with that basic rule. I've sailed almost all the ships in the fleet and most multiple times. Clothes steamers are not allowed.

I do not make the rules, am not an electrician but after having sailed HAL about 100 cruises, am quite familiar with that basic rule. I've sailed almost all the ships in the fleet and most multiple times. Clothes steamers are not allowed.

You really feel strongly about this! I am sorry if it's upsetting you. Truly. But if I remove something from my luggage, hand it to the folks checking bags and they determine it is safe and allowed, I'm going to bring it into my cabin. I go by what the people at HAL tell me and I do follow all rules. If they tell me it's not allowed next time, I'll gladly hand it over for them to hang onto to. Again, each time I've been told by them that this type of steamer is allowed. I did not question why. I hope this clarifies this for you!

You really feel strongly about this! I am sorry if it's upsetting you. Truly. But if I remove something from my luggage, hand it to the folks checking bags and they determine it is safe and allowed, I'm going to bring it into my cabin. I go by what the people at HAL tell me and I do follow all rules. If they tell me it's not allowed next time, I'll gladly hand it over for them to hang onto to. Again, each time I've been told by them that this type of steamer is allowed. I did not question why. I hope this clarifies this for you!

One would hope a careless risk of fire at sea would concern and upset many of us....... enough to avoid risk in all reasonab le ways. JMO

Did you see the Know Before you Go on HAL siite ? , It spells it out if you care to confirm.

One would hope a careless risk of fire at sea would concern and upset many of us....... enough to avoid risk in all reasonab le ways. JMO

Did you see the Know Before you Go on HAL siite ? , It spells it out if you care to confirm.

I haven't put anyone at risk and I'm done discussing it. I really am sorry that I ever tried to help the OP and I'm sorry you're so worried. I wish you peace. Feel free to comment, but I won't respond further.

I haven't put anyone at risk and I'm done discussing it. I really am sorry that I ever tried to help the OP and I'm sorry you're so worried. I wish you peace. Feel free to comment, but I won't respond further.

This thread is for all to read, not just me and you but for anyone and everyone who may have a comment they wish to add.

This thread is for all to read, not just me and you but for anyone and everyone who may have a comment they wish to add.

No! Really? You're so informative!! I thought we were having a private conversation. What else can you teach me? I don't know how to use social media. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No! Really? You're so informative!! I thought we were having a private conversation. What else can you teach me? I don't know how to use social media. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I don't use social media but to look at some people's photos on facebook.

1) Pick clothes that don't wrinkle.

2) Pack using these - https://shop.eaglecreek.com/l/460

You can get them from various sources, including REI and Amazon.

I use them for work travel and shirts and suits come out perfectly wearable.

I've never heard of these! For a 10 day cruise, how many of these would a man need? How many would a woman need? Do you feel it also allows you to pack more garments?

I've never heard of these! For a 10 day cruise, how many of these would a man need? How many would a woman need? Do you feel it also allows you to pack more garments?

They are called packing cubes and sold all over.

If you read the specs in the link for the large folder, it says it will hold 15 items. But it will also fill half of a small suitcase! It's only really advantageous for those who prefer folding over rolling, like for collared dress shirts. Otherwise, IMO they're a space and weight hog.

Packing cubes are different. And more useful for rolled items- like tee shirts, underwear, socks, etc, where you can really cram them in and save space compared to just packing them loose. And they keep your stuff organized and only weigh a few ounces. A large packing cube would likely do the same thing, minus the piece of cardboard or plastic used to actually do the folding.

If you read the specs in the link for the large folder, it says it will hold 15 items. But it will also fill half of a small suitcase! It's only really advantageous for those who prefer folding over rolling, like for collared dress shirts. Otherwise, IMO they're a space and weight hog.

Packing cubes are different. And more useful for rolled items- like tee shirts, underwear, socks, etc, where you can really cram them in and save space compared to just packing them loose. And they keep your stuff organized and only weigh a few ounces. A large packing cube would likely do the same thing, minus the piece of cardboard or plastic used to actually do the folding.

Because you likely can and will pack more items if usi ng the cubes, keep weight in mind. tthe suitcase could get very heavy and exceed weight for allowance for airlines, which resultts in an added expense.

JMO.

Of course, if you are not flying to the ship, that is not a factor.