Wheelchair

eileenfa

You can't rent a wheelchair from the ship. You will have to contact a company near the port that rents devices. The ship does have a few wheelchairs for helping folks off and on the ship...but NONE for use while cruising.

You can't rent a wheelchair from the ship. You will have to contact a company near the port that rents devices. The ship does have a few wheelchairs for helping folks off and on the ship...but NONE for use while cruising.

Hi Carnival doesn't rent wheelchairsThere are a few private companies that do...www.specialneedsatsea.com, or www.scootaround.com. You can arrange either online or by calling them for whatever your needs are. The chair will be delivered to your cabin and you just leave it there after the cruise.

This is not correct. I know as I have done it without getting Special Needs involved.

Most if not all ships have wheelchairs for rental, it is done through the Guest Services desk once onboard ($85 for the cruise with a $50 deposit)

This is not correct. I know as I have done it without getting Special Needs involved.

Most if not all ships have wheelchairs for rental, it is done through the Guest Services desk once onboard ($85 for the cruise with a $50 deposit)

And you would be wrong. No wheelchairs are rented from Carnival. They must be rented or bring your own. They do provide assistance to board and exit the ship but they have a very limited supply in case of emergencies once on board.

Read the mobility section on the webpage.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

And you would be wrong. No wheelchairs are rented from Carnival. They must be rented or bring your own. They do provide assistance to board and exit the ship but they have a very limited supply in case of emergencies once on board.

^^^^ this! They do have a couple available for use in an emergency situation (someone gets hurt on the ship, etc), but not for your planned use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Special Needs at Sea are wonderful about renting just about anything you might need. I rented a wheelchair, and total cost was 95$ for the whole 7 day cruise. As a plus, the wheelchair was waiting in my suite, and when the cruise is over, just leave it in the suite, they will pick it up. Easy peasy.

When we cruised in the past we used a third party vendor ( approved by Carnival) to rent a scooter for my MIL. The same vendor also rented wheelchairs as well. I believe this is the better plan if you need a wheelchair.

They do have available wheelchairs for assistance with embark and debark similar to airport assistance.

They also have wheelchairs available once on board for emergency situations if needed but the supply is limited. There is a $50 deposit for extended use of the wheelchair but is subject to availability.

I experienced this first hand on last cruise when I fractured my tibia on an excursion at our last port stop. From my experience guest assistance helped transport me back on ship once at gangway to infirmary, then from infirmary to our cabin. But they would not leave us a wheelchair in the room until we paid a $50 deposit at guest services. They did provide crutches which were included in the fees for pain meds(aleve) xrays, etc. It wasn't until the next morning my husband was able to "rent" a wheelchair as we had to wait for one to become available.

So my advice is if you need a wheelchair please rent one from one of the approved vendors with Carnival and keep the wheelchairs on board for those that need them unexpectedly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, you are telling me that I have not rented wheelchairs once onboard from Guest Services.

That is a hoot - :eek:

^^^^ this! They do have a couple available for use in an emergency situation (someone gets hurt on the ship, etc), but not for your planned use.

They also have wheelchairs available once on board for emergency situations if needed but the supply is limited. There is a $50 deposit for extended use of the wheelchair but is subject to availability.

I experienced this first hand on last cruise when I fractured my tibia on an excursion at our last port stop. From my experience guest assistance helped transport me back on ship once at gangway to infirmary, then from infirmary to our cabin. But they would not leave us a wheelchair in the room until we paid a $50 deposit at guest services.

Thanks for the confirmation that I am not a liar despite despite Patt's allegation

Really, you are telling me that I have not rented wheelchairs once onboard from Guest Services.

Thanks for the confirmation that I am not a liar despite despite Patt's allegation

Hi there

While you were able to get a wheelchair for your situation, here is from Carnival's website, where they say they don't rent wheelchairs. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2553/~/wheelchairs-for-use-onboard

The fact that you were able to acquire one doesn't change the fact that it isn't the norm and people can't rely on the fact that since you were able to rent one they would be able to do so as well.

hope this helps

I said you were wrong, no where did I call you a liar. If you had bother to even read the link I posted you would have known that.

Actually that is not correct. I hurt my knee and could not walk. We were able to rent a wheel chair for the remainder of the cruise and I believe it was 150.00. That was on the Magic January 2014.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

Special Needs at Sea are wonderful about renting just about anything you might need. I rented a wheelchair, and total cost was 95$ for the whole 7 day cruise. As a plus, the wheelchair was waiting in my suite, and when the cruise is over, just leave it in the suite, they will pick it up. Easy peasy.

There is a YouTube channel called "Cruising with Wheels" where you may find wheelchair info.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Actually that is not correct. I hurt my knee and could not walk. We were able to rent a wheel chair for the remainder of the cruise and I believe it was 150.00. That was on the Magic January 2014.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

I'm sure you did. As I posted before, the ships do carry a few for emergency use ( like someone being injured during the cruise), but not for planned use. If someone is planning to use one, they should arrange for one through one of the two approved companies and leave those available on board available for their intended use. I believe one of the previous posts contains Carnival's information on that.

Despite what Carnival posts on their website, those who are insisting that you cannot rent a wheelchair onboard a Carnival ship at Guest Services without prior arrangements are wrong.

Enough posters have stated in this thread they have done it in the past, just as I have.

Considering that only a small percentage of Carnival cruisers use Cruise Critic (about 10% by most estimates), and of those on Cruise Critic, only a percentage have seen this thread, I would be willing to bet that renting wheelchairs from Guest Services occurs far more often than some here believe. I know the last time I rented a wheelchair from Guest Services, I was not the only one doing so on embarkation day.

Just to be clear the wheelchairs on board are for emergency use when passengers unexpectedly need the use of one. They are not intended to be rented for known pre-existing mobility issues. That is why you rent one before you get on board with one of the companies Carnival partners with.