Port of Miami Rental Car Return / Drop-off

Deptacon

I know this has been asked before and I searched the forum but found only partial information and some of it was several years old....

Flying into FLL day before our Cruise out of Port of Miami. Would like to rent a car for the day to get around Fort Launderdale and Miami for the a group of 4. Would like to know who will allow rental car return in/near/around Port of Miami and/or has a close easy to use shuttle into the port.

I noticed Budget let me search and find an option for this on thier website, but HERTZ and AVIS it was more difficult to confirm where I was taking the car to in order to drop-off and if there was a shuttle service to the port itself once we dropped off.

Any thoughts/suggestions let me know.

Avis and Hertz also have downtown locations close to POM - about a $12+ cab ride (under $10 in Uber) if they do not shuttle.

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttle service between their MIA airport location and POM

Alamo / National / Enterprise (select location code MIA or Miami Airport) - uses the Miami airport location

Thrifty / Dollar (select location code Miami Cruise Ship - Shuttle) - They also use the same counter as the Miami airport location

Hertz (select Miami - Port of Miami) - uses the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget (location code P2F) - uses the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis (location code Q8M) - uses the 99 SE 2nd St location

Alamo / National / Enterprise (select location code MIA or Miami Airport) - uses the Miami airport location

Thrifty / Dollar (select location code Miami Cruise Ship - Shuttle) - They also use the same counter as the Miami airport location

Hertz (select Miami - Port of Miami) - uses the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget (location code P2F) - uses the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis (location code Q8M) - uses the 99 SE 2nd St location

I tried that HERTZ and Avis location online, both said that you can not return a car there.

Thanks for the info though, very informative. I will call the bottom 3, see if it can be worked and if they offer shuttle.

Howdy,

I have always had great luck in renting a car from Thrifty at the FLL and specifying the drop off at the Miami Cruise Port (which is really the Miami airport with a shuttle). Done this a number of times without any issues. Enter FLL as the pick-up location and check the box for drop off at a different location. Type in mia and you will see several options come up, pick the one "MIAMI CRUISE SHIP - SHUTTLE PROVIDED, SEE POLICY". As I said, although this identifies as the cruise ship port, it is really the airport with a shuttle.

I would recommend dropping off the luggage and the majority of your group at the Port before returning the rental car. The shuttle gets a little busy with large groups and all their luggage attempting to board the shuttle bus. If you are a single person with a backpack, you can hop into the shuttle without having to hand your luggage to the driver to place it in the back of the shuttle bus. Just my recommendation.

Good Luck

ddaz

GBY

Edited by ddaz

I tried that HERTZ and Avis location online, both said that you can not return a car there.

Thanks for the info though, very informative. I will call the bottom 3, see if it can be worked and if they offer shuttle.

Check out https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/unitedstates/florida/miami/MIAP37.

Note that the Port of Miami "location" is just for shuttle pickup. If you read further down the page you should see Rental Services Provided By Miami Downtown HLE. That is the location where the car is picked up or dropped off. One then gets the shuttle to the port.

It can get pretty hectic at Miami Downtown HLE so give yourself some time should you decide to use the location. I would suggest dropping off your party and luggage at the cruise terminal before returning the car. That way it is just the driver without luggage (keep copy of cruise docs and passport) who has to get back to the port.

I have rented both before and after cruise flying into FLL and cruising from POM. Very easy pickup at FLL and i gad my concerns with the drop off and getting picked up after cruise. But we had zero issues. We waited maybe 5-10 minutes for the shuttle and my DD and I were the only ones on it.

I think whether it is hectic or not with the Downtown location depends on what day of the week and how many ships are in port.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer. I rent from Hertz all the time for work and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just to clarify, the Miami south beach location does not have a shuttle to POM, even though it's closer, and any Thrifty rental return will need to go through the one that mentions the Cruise Port Shuttle, AKA the MIA airport. Am I understanding this correctly?

With 8 people traveling together, and having rented a house for the night before, most "regular" options aren't much of an option. Renting a 12 passenger van has turned out to be a huge help for us.

So just to clarify, the Miami south beach location does not have a shuttle to POM, even though it's closer, and any Thrifty rental return will need to go through the one that mentions the Cruise Port Shuttle, AKA the MIA airport. Am I understanding this correctly?

This is correct / return will be to the Miami Airport.

This is correct / return will be to the Miami Airport.
Thanks loanshark. Just corrected my rental information to the right dropoff. Just one more reason I like CC. Since the agent on the phone yesterday didn't have a clue!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I found SIXT has a REALLY good deal on rentals from Priceline for my 1 Day Car in JAN18 picking up in FLL and dropping downtown Miami 330 SE 1st St, Miami, FL. I am arriving in terminal 1 so its not a double shuttle at FLL for me.

The big name companies want 160-200 for an SUV for the 24hrs, Sixt will do it for $73!!!!

Does SIXT have a shuttle to POM from their 330 SE 1st location? I can take a Cab or an uber so its not a big deal if they don't, just curious if anyone knows.

I found SIXT has a REALLY good deal on rentals from Priceline for my 1 Day Car in JAN18 picking up in FLL and dropping downtown Miami 330 SE 1st St, Miami, FL. I am arriving in terminal 1 so its not a double shuttle at FLL for me.

The big name companies want 160-200 for an SUV for the 24hrs, Sixt will do it for $73!!!!

Does SIXT have a shuttle to POM from their 330 SE 1st location? I can take a Cab or an uber so its not a big deal if they don't, just curious if anyone knows.

I called, they dont, but its so close to POM an Uber is cheap. Just sharing for reference for anyone in the future. Thier prices are significantly cheaper than everyone elses and its a downtown drop....not all the way at MIA.

I called, they dont, but its so close to POM an Uber is cheap. Just sharing for reference for anyone in the future. Thier prices are significantly cheaper than everyone elses and its a downtown drop....not all the way at MIA.

I got dollar rent a car an SUV 24 hours $47 including tax and they have a shuttle to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got dollar rent a car an SUV 24 hours $47 including tax and they have a shuttle to port.

Yeah, it depends on the week you are trying to rent when it comes to price. Plus, im not interested in heading all the way to the airport and then take a shuttle all the way back when i can just uber from downtown

Yeah, it depends on the week you are trying to rent when it comes to price. Plus, im not interested in heading all the way to the airport and then take a shuttle all the way back when i can just uber from downtown

Yea just give yourself enough time traffic in downtown Miami can be horrible.