Breakaway -- Thanksgiving from NOLA

mdsgu

We will be sailing on the Breakaway out of NOLA during Thanksgiving -- a group of 10 of us. We sailed on Escape in June 2016, so I expect our experience to be similar. We've already made our specialty restaurant reservations and our MDR reservations for the week.

Any must-dos on BA? Any recommendations on excursions, especially HC? We have 4 seniors (69, 71, 72, 85), 2 adults (40, 39), and 2 kids (9, 8).

Edited by mdsgu

• 2 weeks later...
We will be sailing on the Breakaway out of NOLA during Thanksgiving -- a group of 10 of us. We sailed on Escape in June 2016, so I expect our experience to be similar. We've already made our specialty restaurant reservations and our MDR reservations for the week.

Any must-dos on BA? Any recommendations on excursions, especially HC? We have 4 seniors (69, 71, 72, 85), 2 adults (40, 39), and 2 kids (9, 8).

4 seniors, 2adults, and 2 kids is not a group of 10.

Who did you leave out?

We will be on that cruise too. 12 Sunday’s to go!

We are on this cruise as well and I LOVE how you put it into terms of Sunday countdown...never thought of this but I love it! 12 Sundays seems more than doable.

As for must do's, I've never been on BA but I read the threads daily and think I have a few in mind:

• hit the Margaritaville bar
  • try the spa
  • Consider Ocean Blue (we've booked a reservation)
  • walk the water front and even dine there if you wish
  • go to Howl at the Moon

Any recommendations on excursions, especially HC? We have 4 seniors (69, 71, 72, 85), 2 adults (40, 39), and 2 kids (9, 8).

Starting at Post #159 on this link, there are some photos from this week's stop at HC https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2666700

We made HC a beach day. Got ourselves a clam shell to help stay out of the direct sun. Swam in the ocean. Swam in the pool. Watching people zip line over the bay.

For the seniors (and not-so-seniors), use the electric carts up and down the dock (which is a pretty far walk).

I apologize for hijacking your post but I think you should also do some planning for hanging out in NOLA either pre- or post-cruise. In my opinion, New Orleans is the best port in your itinerary. Again I apologize for giving advice that was not requested but the Big Easy offers so much if you take the time to explore. Just remember that New Orleans is more than the French Quarter and the Jackson Square.

Three times on Breakaway, and my fourth time I will be helping to bring her to you in New Orleans from New York early November! Here's why I like the ship a lot:

* Rarely seems crowded. Only around the pool with too little space there. (Plenty of other space just not next to pool.)

* Spice H2O is a great quiet place for adults on sea days

* Wide variety of entertainment. Howl at the Moon is a favorite (will play several evenings, goes late), and for 80s Rock n Roll and Broadway show fans, Rock of Ages is great fun (not for kids under 15 or so, mature themes)

* Food, food, and more food - wonderful variety among dining rooms and O'Sheehans (no extra charge) and then gets even better with specialty restaurants (upcharge)

* Margaritaville bar has unique drinks. The food there is an upcharge but it's really good if you go hungry and ready to eat a lot.

* Kids and adventurous adults will enjoy the slides, ropes course, and climbing wall.

* Great lounges and entertainers for the older crowd

* Great parties at H2O in the evenings, bring the kids at the start and then perhaps Grandpa/Grandma will get them in bed so some can stay out later! (Same for Howl at the Moon perhaps)

Three times on Breakaway, and my fourth time I will be helping to bring her to you in New Orleans from New York early November! Here's why I like the ship a lot:

* Rarely seems crowded. Only around the pool with too little space there. (Plenty of other space just not next to pool.)

* Wide variety of entertainment. Howl at the Moon is a favorite (will play several evenings, goes late), and for 80s Rock n Roll and Broadway show fans, Rock of Ages is great fun (not for kids under 15 or so, mature themes)

* Food, food, and more food - wonderful variety among dining rooms and O'Sheehans (no extra charge) and then gets even better with specialty restaurants (upcharge)

* Margaritaville bar has unique drinks. The food there is an upcharge but it's really good if you go hungry and ready to eat a lot.

* Kids and adventurous adults will enjoy the slides, ropes course, and climbing wall.

* Great parties at H2O in the evenings, bring the kids at the start and then perhaps Grandpa/Grandma will get them in bed so some can stay out later! (Same for Howl at the Moon perhaps)

Thanks for the highlights. We will be getting on right after you get off and warming it up for those on the Thanksgiving cruise. Looking forward to a relaxing laid back cruise.

Is there any charge for the water slides, ropes course, and climbing wall?

I apologize for hijacking your post but I think you should also do some planning for hanging out in NOLA either pre- or post-cruise. In my opinion, New Orleans is the best port in your itinerary. Again I apologize for giving advice that was not requested but the Big Easy offers so much if you take the time to explore. Just remember that New Orleans is more than the French Quarter and the Jackson Square.

New Orleans is a fantastic city. However, my wife grew up there, and we live only an hour north. Her parents still live there. My parents live only an hour away, and my sister and brother-in-law are only 2 hours away. Needless to say, we have the good fortune of being very familiar with the food capital of the world!