Has anyone..

Cruiser21484

Ive booked a cruise for September. It was supposed to be me and my wife. We set babysitters. I just found out that kids travel free during that time. Problem is that my child is in school. It's a 7 day cruise, missing 5 days of school (elementary). Has anyone had this situation before? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, tons of people have been in this situation.

Some people take the trip, others will cancel, and some will speak with teachers and lug a bunch of work onboard for their kid to finish at midnight the night before they return to school.

It's a personal parenting decision that no one else should make for you.

Some people take the trip, others will cancel, and some will speak with teachers and lug a bunch of work onboard for their kid to finish at midnight the night before they return to school.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

To me, the answer depends on what grade the child is in and what is going on at the time in school. I once unknowingly planned a cruise that required us to leave a day before a school holiday started--and it was the DAY of the statewide reading exam which was very important for my child's placement in the next years class. So if you know nothing serious is going on and can get the classwork from the teacher--go fo it!!

There's a long thread in the Family cruising board about this very thing.

Need to check with your school district about this. Some districts will not allow it.

We took our DDs on a weeklong trip up the West coast to Vancouver, then took the Coast Starlight train down. Would definitely do it again. They were in second and fourth grades.

We also pulled DDtheYounger out at the second week of her Junior year to take DDtheOlder to school in Rome. She didn't want to go but the principal forced her to :D. For this trip we copied the parts of the books she needed. Didn't want to lug around 5 large schoolbooks.

We did it because we knew that the girls would do the work required of them.

Edited by SadieN

Ive booked a cruise for September. It was supposed to be me and my wife. We set babysitters. I just found out that kids travel free during that time. Problem is that my child is in school. It's a 7 day cruise, missing 5 days of school (elementary). Has anyone had this situation before? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

IMHO this is a personal decision that should be based on the following for you and your kids:

1. Does your school allow it? Check with your principal and your teachers.

2. Is your child able to handle missing 5 days by making up and learning all the missed work on their own or with your help and without their grades suffering? Some kids can't and some can with no trouble.

3. Is your child willing to miss 5 days?

Having said this when my kids were in elementary school we did pull them out for 5 days because the answers to these questions were yes and we had a great time, they made up their work with no issues, and the teachers were supportive. However, as DS moved into Middle School and school sports the answer to number 3 became no. It was harder for him to make up the homework and he got punished by the Basketball coach in 7th grade for missing practices and a preseason tournament (even though he hadn't even made the team when I booked the cruise). So instead of having them miss 5 days, at his request, we tried to get the vacations into the summer or around holidays where they would only miss a day or 2 at the most.

Edited by Warm Breezes

My kids usually did their work on the trip down and back. That was usually enough time, especially if we were driving, to get it done. The school always gave them a grace period of a couple days after they got back to turn it in too...that was part of the school policy on missing days. Some of the teachers didn't even give them what they missed until they got back. In elementary school there was never much given to them to get done anyways. I can say that my kids were never doing homework at midnight the night before they returned to school...but they did get their work done.

Thanks for the replies. My child is in the fourth grade. She's ahead in everything. I'm going to speak to the teacher when the time comes and see if there is a packet that we can work on before she returns.

Thanks

As a retired teacher I'll tell you that besides the grade your child is in, it also depends on when your district starts school (August? September?) and what they will miss. Some reading/math topics in some grades are critical not to miss. Sounds as if your fourth grader would be okay to miss those days. But you're wise to get some input from the teacher. Then make a decision.

You and your wife might want some alone time. If so, follow your original plan.

Edited by NMLady

Elementary school is the best time to take them out....I wouldn't do it with a high school student...just too much to catch up with! But, in grade school, the teacher can give the student the work that will be missed, and the kid can get it done, either before or during the vacation.

I was substituting in a disciplinary room in Texas a few years ago and there was an honor student there. Turns out he had taken a trip to Europe with his parents and had to serve time. Absences in public schools in Texas affect the amount of state funds the district receives.

We got a fantastic rate (friends and family) through someone who was working for my hubby at that time (his girlfriend worked for Princess) which meant missing a week for my girl who was in kindergarten. I asked the teacher for her homework packet (yes, kinders got homework:eek:). Another kid had already took off some days a few weeks before for a trip to New York, so she really couldn't turn us down.

Within a couple of years, the school district started making it hard for parents to take their kids out of school. Apparently the money per student per day of attendance became very important to them. Plus testing and all that. Even though near the end of the school year for the younger grades, once testing is done, not too much learning goes on.

Some schools have put in a strict absence policy I just got a letter today in the mail from my girl's school as she had her 7th absence for the semester last Friday (she tends to get sick from allergies and we live in a high pollen area) so she needs to avoid getting another seven in the next month; else risk the wrath of ... One middle school is starting a 7-day absence policy next year (and I know a few parents who are very angry about that).

In 2 days I'm pulling my 3rd and 5th graders out of school, hopping on a ship, and they'll miss 5 days. I warned the teachers, but didn't ask permission. This is a time of year that things are slowing down… no major exams or anything, so I wasn't too worried. And it is elementary school. If I had a senior in high school and it was during a few AP exams, I wouldn't do it.

Thanks

I will be the devil's advocate here: What message about the importance of school will you be sending to your children if it is OK to pull them out to go on a cruise?

I am a retired teacher who has had to provide the work - and create it, since that which will be done in class might not travel well, so to speak. So you are also asking the teachers to do extra work for your child and make sure that the child has truly caught up upon return.

Just food for thought . . .

I will be the devil's advocate here: What message about the importance of school will you be sending to your children if it is OK to pull them out to go on a cruise?

I am a retired teacher who has had to provide the work - and create it, since that which will be done in class might not travel well, so to speak. So you are also asking the teachers to do extra work for your child and make sure that the child has truly caught up upon return.

Here is my thought...the message I sent my kids about the importance of school was how it was important when you missed to be responsible enough to make up the work in the timetable set by the teacher and the school. Just like with my work I make sure my work is done that has to be done before I go and the rest is made up as soon as possible upon my return even if it means an extra effort or time to get it done. That is a real life lesson on responsibility. Our teachers never had the attitude you seem to have about taking a little extra time to put a packet together and they encouraged family travel. They usually gave the kids a little work before we left but most came upon our return. It seemed it wasn't a burden for them as it was for you...especially when they were doing it for kids who were never needy for their time and attention in the classroom to begin with.

Edited to add that our Student Handbooks say that Family Vacations are Excused Absences and that the teachers are to give make up packets to the students to be turned in after a certain amount of days after their return. IMHO that makes the make up packets a part of the teachers job and responsibility.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Here is my thought...the message I sent my kids about the importance of school was how it was important when you missed to be responsible enough to make up the work in the timetable set by the teacher and the school. Just like with my work I make sure my work is done that has to be done before I go and the rest is made up as soon as possible upon my return even if it means an extra effort or time to get it done. That is a real life lesson on responsibility. Our teachers never had the attitude you seem to have about taking a little extra time to put a packet together and they encouraged family travel. They usually gave the kids a little work before we left but most came upon our return. It seemed it wasn't a burden for them as it was for you...especially when they were doing it for kids who were never needy for their time and attention in the classroom to begin with.

Edited to add that our Student Handbooks say that Family Vacations are Excused Absences and that the teachers are to give make up packets to the students to be turned in after a certain amount of days after their return. IMHO that makes the make up packets a part of the teachers job and responsibility.

As a currently active teacher I have to disagree with things said here for a few reasons and agree with Panaroma:

1) No matter how responsible the child/parent is on catching up it is simply not the same as being taught in class, with fellow learners and an educational professional. Not to mention a child's mind isnt exactly going to be on study mode when on a cruise!

2) A teacher making up a pack for a child on holiday takes time away from the other 29 children in the class whos parents are not holidaying. Teachers do not have an 'attitude' about this but it is simply increasing their already large workload. Our county has a policy against teachers setting work for children in this situation.In the UK holidays are disallowed and parents are fined for repeated non authorised absence. A teacher 'seeming' to be happy with the situation is probably just a front for the sake of professional relationships and reputation. I have quite a lot of children at my school being taken back to Pakistan for extended family visits and I smile and wish them the best but Im pretty much worrying they will be behind and what the results will be like as well as questioning family priorities with my fellow colleagues who all feel the same.

3) Absence problems can affect a schools council budget/results which directly effects all staff and pupils.

4) Naturally there are circumstances when a child has to be taken out of school but I am not sure a holiday qualifies.

To the OP. I am a little worried a cruise line offers this deal in school time. What line is it?

Edited by Velvetwater

As a currently active teacher I have to disagree with things said here for a few reasons and agree with Panaroma:

1) No matter how responsible the child/parent is on catching up it is simply not the same as being taught in class, with fellow learners and an educational professional. Not to mention a child's mind isnt exactly going to be on study mode when on a cruise!

2) A teacher making up a pack for a child on holiday takes time away from the other 29 children in the class whos parents are not holidaying. Teachers do not have an 'attitude' about this but it is simply increasing their already large workload. Our county has a policy against teachers setting work for children in this situation.In the UK holidays are disallowed and parents are fined for repeated non authorised absence. A teacher 'seeming' to be happy with the situation is probably just a front for the sake of professional relationships and reputation. I have quite a lot of children at my school being taken back to Pakistan for extended family visits and I smile and wish them the best but Im pretty much worrying they will be behind and what the results will be like as well as questioning family priorities with my fellow colleagues who all feel the same.

3) Absence problems can affect a schools council budget/results which directly effects all staff and pupils.

4) Naturally there are circumstances when a child has to be taken out of school but I am not sure a holiday qualifies.

To the OP. I am a little worried a cruise line offers this deal in school time. What line is it?

This is why I said in my original post that the parent must check with school principal and teachers for the school policy. Our school policy specifically states that "family trips" are excused absences when pre-approved. It also states that it is the students "responsibility" to meet with the teacher and complete the homework given in the time specified by the teacher. It specifically states that the teacher is not required to help the student make up work if the absence is UNEXCUSED. However in the case of "family trips" in our school district they are EXCUSED if pre-approved....in that case it is part the teachers job to put that packet together.

This is why I said in my original post that the parent must check with school principal and teachers for the school policy. Our school policy specifically states that "family trips" are excused absences when pre-approved. It also states that it is the students "responsibility" to meet with the teacher and complete the homework given in the time specified by the teacher. It specifically states that the teacher is not required to help the student make up work if the absence is UNEXCUSED. However in the case of "family trips" in our school district they are EXCUSED if pre-approved....in that case it is part the teachers job to put that packet together.

I understand what you are saying but my post was also to illustrate how all holidays/family visits/religious holidays etc are always unauthorised by our local authority whether they are 1 day or 2 months.

In essence...if your child isnt in school and they are not ill or have an extenuating circumstance then it is always unauthorised. I personally agree with this harsh stance.

Naturally everywhere is not the same as the UK.

I understand what you are saying but my post was also to illustrate how all holidays/family visits/religious holidays etc are always unauthorised by our local authority whether they are 1 day or 2 months.

In essence...if your child isnt in school and they are not ill or have an extenuating circumstance then it is always unauthorised. I personally agree with this harsh stance.

Naturally everywhere is not the same as the UK.

Well I'm personally glad we don't live in the UK as I don't agree with that harsh stance. My kids are now 17 and 19. DS is a Junior at a local University. He started the University a semester ahead because of his AP classes and dual enrollment at our local University his Senior year of High School. DD is a Junior in high school. She is also on track to start the University a semester ahead. Apparently missing those weeks here and there while they were in elementary school for vacations did not have a negative impact their education or their priorities when it comes to education....but the memories we made during those weeks will be with us forever.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I can see where this would be a touchy topic for parents and teachers. I was a teacher before kids and I did not have a problem with family vacations for kids who were above average in class. If I had a child who was reading or working below grade average, I did not feel they could afford the loss of educational time. No matter how much work the teacher sends home, it will not make up for instructional time. However, if your child is a fast learner and stays ahead of the game, I don't have a problem with it. We have taken our kids out of school for a family trip to Disney and to travel for family functions. They have always completed their work upon return and it doesn't seem to have taken away from their education.

I will also say, as a teacher, I would put together some work for children who were gone, but I just didn't know what we would accomplish during the week, so many times the work was just completed after return to school. Those kids would have a folder on their desk when they got back. Therefore, it was not too time consuming a chore for me either. Yes, it will be a little extra work, but maybe you could bring something for the teacher as a thank you? :)

I too will play devil's advocate here: What message about the importance of family will you be sending to your children if you leave them at home while you go on a cruise?

No one ever lays their deathbed and says, "I wish I'd spent an extra week in 4th grade..."

Just food for thought...