Has anyone..

Cruiser21484

Just adding my two cents: with all the overscheduling, it's often hard for families now to schedule an actual vacation. Often it's hard to know ahead of time when one son's sports team will be finished with its games and the daughter's cheer squad will be done with competition. On top of that, teachers often will schedule winter and spring break work to be turned in the first day back. When my daughter was in elementary school (before the economic meltdown when the school district couldn't afford it), each student was given a workbook to complete during the summer. So what kind of message does that send: that family time is not necessary?:

Our school district will not do any Independent Study (vacation) contracts for less than 5 days.

The first time we pulled them out of school they were only going to be out 3 days. School wouldn't have received their ADA monies. By having them out the whole week and completing their assignments, the school got their ADA and the kids got the day before and after travel.

Yes -- people do cruise with their children during school times.

Some get permission from the principal and some don't.

Only you can decide if you should take your child out of school.

yes, your decision. i have taken my kids out to cruise and there has never , ever been any problems with it.

Here is my thought...the message I sent my kids about the importance of school was how it was important when you missed to be responsible enough to make up the work in the timetable set by the teacher and the school. Just like with my work I make sure my work is done that has to be done before I go and the rest is made up as soon as possible upon my return even if it means an extra effort or time to get it done. That is a real life lesson on responsibility. Our teachers never had the attitude you seem to have about taking a little extra time to put a packet together and they encouraged family travel. They usually gave the kids a little work before we left but most came upon our return. It seemed it wasn't a burden for them as it was for you...especially when they were doing it for kids who were never needy for their time and attention in the classroom to begin with.

Edited to add that our Student Handbooks say that Family Vacations are Excused Absences and that the teachers are to give make up packets to the students to be turned in after a certain amount of days after their return. IMHO that makes the make up packets a part of the teachers job and responsibility.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Of our last five vacations we have taken our children out of school for four of them. Among other things they went to Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown. They have been in the water with dolphins and sea lions. You can't get those experiences in a classroom. Why not go during the summer? Can't get time off work, prices are higher, places are more crowded. We chose to travel in spring and fall as the best times. We will continue.

Just adding my two cents: with all the overscheduling' date=' it's often hard for families now to schedule an actual vacation. Often it's hard to know ahead of time when one son's sports team will be finished with its games and the daughter's cheer squad will be done with competition. On top of that, teachers often will schedule winter and spring break work to be turned in the first day back. When my daughter was in elementary school (before the economic meltdown when the school district couldn't afford it), each student was given a workbook to complete during the summer. So what kind of message does that send: that family time is not necessary?:[/quote']

Thats quite an extreme way to view it.

I hardly think a whole workbook will take all summer to complete. Teachers set work for holiday time/weekends so children can keep on applying their skills and learning. As for sports teams and extra curricular groups thats a parent's choice anyway. It sets the message children and families should be able to balance study and family time.

I understand that parents will explain that their child is ahead anyway and thats good but when it comes to holidays in my school it is often the lower ability children that have the attendance/holiday issues. There is also the fact to consider how attendance can affect the school in budget/ attendance record for when inspectors come knocking. In the UK if you school has not reached a certain attendance percentage inspectors can put you in 'special measures' despite the school having done nothing at all to warrant it. This awful instance can devastate the education of students and the careers of teachers. I will also mention the fact some children may suffer some anxiety or feel liek they have missed social happenings when returning...not common but it happens.

Throughout all the different jobs/pay packets with my family and friends everyone manages to holiday in summer time. You can have family memories and a whole school year.

I am a teacher and my first student teaching position a first grader was going on vacation just after a break. I asked the teacher if it bothered her and she told me this story. When she started teaching a girl went to Disneyworld the week after Christmas and she was a little upset. The girl came home sick, she had leukemia and 6 weeks later she was gone. She said she never begrudged another family going on vacation. It was none of her business why it is then instead of on the break, and in 20 years they won't remember that week in first grade, but will the trip to Disney.

My son starts kindergarten this year and will miss time since my husband can only vacation at certain times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When my DD was in kindergarten (many years ago), DH got a business assignment for 3 weeks in S. Africa & Kenya.

Being a dutiful parent, I asked the principal if he'd give us permission to take DD out of class for 3+ weeks to go to Africa (we'd have done it anyway, but I followed the rules). The principal looked at me w/a slight glare & said, "Of course I can't give you permission. But you're crazy if you don't!"

At age 5 1/2 , that trip made such an impression on DD that she later wrote her college entrance essays about the experience & what she learned.

She continued to miss a week or so of classes almost every year for our trips, learning so much more than just "book stuff".

I'm very sad & a bit angry that schools have convinced parents that THEY know best & that WE must abide by THEIR policies & rules.:(

I'm very sad & a bit angry that schools have convinced parents that THEY know best & that WE must abide by THEIR policies & rules.:(

As my above post unfortunately states, its not usually the schools that set these rules but the government or Local authority (or whatever the equivalent is in the US).

The attitude of the parents and the interest level of the student make all the difference. Some family dynamics work to greatly enhance te educational experience received in school - regular parental interaction and demonstration of interest in a child's education - plus strict monitoring of make-up efforts on the part of the child can make pulling a child out of school for a few days a valuable plus - making the trip a positive educational experience.

If it is just a matter of parental convenience - pulling a child out for even half a day could be irresponsible.

There is no right answer for every situation -- in my four childrens educations they have had some great teachers - and a sorry few who were simply marking time and getting away with lackluster efforts - protected by tenure and union protection.

At the end of the day, it is the parents' responsibility to act in the best interests of their children - and sometimes that might involve breaking school rules.

I can honestly say that this is the first thread on this topic where most responses are so thoughtful. I think we pulled ours last before our oldest was in middle school. Since then, we wait until school vacation weeks or summer for a Europe vacation. However, we pull for a day for other reasons related to out of town family events. Sometimes life dictates this.

Ive booked a cruise for September. It was supposed to be me and my wife. We set babysitters. I just found out that kids travel free during that time. Problem is that my child is in school. It's a 7 day cruise, missing 5 days of school (elementary). Has anyone had this situation before? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Check with your local school board. If out-of-the-country trips are considered a valid excuse they might be able to make up any work missed.

I come from a family of educators. I used to volunteer in my mom's classroom when I was in college. There was one family in town with two kids, and every year, they would pull their kids out of school for a few weeks to go on a sailing excursion on their sailboat. The kids had their usual packets of normal schoolwork, and each year were also required to present to their classes about their trip. Those kids were some of the best behaved, smartest, most well-rounded kids I've ever seen, and my mom had both in class. They would present about sailing, ecology of the islands they visited, ocean currents, all kinds of stuff. It was fascinating!

All this is to say, I think there's a place for taking kids out of school for a family vacation, but I also think they need to be encouraged to consider how their trips are educational as well. If you go to Disney, make it a point to spend some time with the scientific stuff at Epcot, or watch Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland. If you're on a Caribbean cruise, spend a day at an aquarium that focuses on local sea life. Take any trip to Europe! Find something in your trip that isn't just a beach bum day that can be just as educational as a day at school, and a lot more fun. As others have said, no one remembers what they did every day of elementary school, but a trip can really make an impression.

This post is exactly why kids should not be taken out of school for a vacation.

This thread was great until you had to violate rules of the forum to comment on spelling of a word (principal vs. principle). You're so smart. Of course, your post proves nothing.

Kids go to camp and leave thier parents home. Leave them with the sitter, let them go to school and you and your spouse go on the cruise and enjoy each other's company!

Ive booked a cruise for September. It was supposed to be me and my wife. We set babysitters. I just found out that kids travel free during that time. Problem is that my child is in school. It's a 7 day cruise, missing 5 days of school (elementary). Has anyone had this situation before? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

I don't see what difference kids travel free makes in the big picture. Even if they didn't, the child's fare is so little that it really shouldn't matter. Stop being influenced by marketing hype, leave your child home with the trusted people you have already lined up, and enjoy some adult time together.

I will warn that those kids travel free cruises are often overrun with children, so you might not be getting the quiet adult getaway you were hoping for.

I have to agree with ducklite and marco. Regardless of missing school, making it up, taking school work with you, is it right or wrong....leave 'em home with the sitter, have 'em go to school, and the two of you go on the cruise and enjoy without the kids. Make it a REAL vacation!

Did not read every post so I apologize if this has been covered.

Of lesser importance is that taking your child(ren) out of school you are adversly impacting the disticts budget. If like in Texas, schools are funded so much per student for every day they are in class. Therefore...no in class, no funding. But the districts cost continue...utilities are still used and salaries are still paid.

In Texas, students must be in class for a minimum number of days each school year in order to be eligible to advance. If the minimum is not met, then documentation must be submitted explaining the absences. They now when the school is closed for emergencies and allow so many days for illness but if they were out for extended periods (like say, 5 consecutive days) support has to be shown of illness like medical bills, perscription receipts, etc. If a vacation pushes the student below the minimum the waiver is not granted. Our son's freind repeated the 6th grade because of a trip to Pennsylvania.

Did not read every post so I apologize if this has been covered.

Of lesser importance is that taking your child(ren) out of school you are adversly impacting the disticts budget. If like in Texas, schools are funded so much per student for every day they are in class. Therefore...no in class, no funding. But the districts cost continue...utilities are still used and salaries are still paid.

In Texas, students must be in class for a minimum number of days each school year in order to be eligible to advance. If the minimum is not met, then documentation must be submitted explaining the absences. They now when the school is closed for emergencies and allow so many days for illness but if they were out for extended periods (like say, 5 consecutive days) support has to be shown of illness like medical bills, perscription receipts, etc. If a vacation pushes the student below the minimum the waiver is not granted. Our son's freind repeated the 6th grade because of a trip to Pennsylvania.

That assumes they are in public school. Roughly 30% of the children in the US do not attend a traditional public school.

By the way, my son missed over a week of school with the chicken pox. I would have laughed in their faces had they asked for a medical bill for something that is treated with Aveeno baths and Calamine Lotion. Schools have gotten ridiculous with their bloated administrative policies. They are so worried about policy that they have lost track of why they exist--to teach.

Edited by ducklite

Our district allows student's families to request five "vacation" days during the school year in addition to their allotted unwell days. My parents took advantage of this on occasion (maybe twice in 14 years) when I was in school. We'd love to vacation when school is out, but we simply can't justify the premium the cruise lines charge--we'd rather use the personal days. My wife and I are both teachers, so we fully realize the importance of being present for school. However, we also realize the importance of having a break and our students tend to be happier and more productive when they return.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

. Schools have gotten ridiculous with their bloated administrative policies. They are so worried about policy that they have lost track of why they exist--to teach.

Really not feeling the way people like to blame schools/teachers for various issues. It seems this attitude is not just the UK....which is somewhat of a surprise.

I am obviously not as aware of how school work in the US but I think people should really research the pressure/regulations schools and teachers have to bear before they point the finger...especially in the public sector. All the ridiculous stuff often comes from 'higher up' and they do not have a choice.

You will find most teachers are desperate to teach and want the very best for their students. They are often bogged down with ridiculous policies and bureaucratic tasks that they fear that their job/school will be at stake if they do not oblige. This takes time away from what they came to the job for.

Edited by Velvetwater

Take you children. They will learn more on the cruise than they will in elementary school. Find out what they will miss and try to do some catch up prior to, or during the cruise.

We never had an issue with taking our children out of elementary school, and once or twice out of high school.

Really not feeling the way people like to blame schools/teachers for various issues. It seems this attitude is not just the UK....which is somewhat of a surprise.

I am obviously not as aware of how school work in the US but I think people should really research the pressure/regulations schools and teachers have to bear before they point the finger...especially in the public sector. All the ridiculous stuff often comes from 'higher up' and they do not have a choice.

You will find most teachers are desperate to teach and want the very best for their students. They are often bogged down with ridiculous policies and bureaucratic tasks that they fear that their job/school will be at stake if they do not oblige. This takes time away from what they came to the job for.

Velvetwater -- I'm sorry to hear that the public school situation is as you say in the UK! Your comment/post could have been accurately made by any public school teacher in the US. Very sad!

Maybe you need to understand the difference between teachers and administration before responding. I never said anything about teachers, and in fact said that ADMINISTRATIVE policy was causing the problems. :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to understand the difference between teachers and administration before responding. I never said anything about teachers, and in fact said that ADMINISTRATIVE policy was causing the problems. :rolleyes:

The last sentence in your post suggests otherwise, maybe better wording next time? Also note I included 'school' in my post and not just teachers.

As a teacher and someone who is heavily involved with the office within our school (due to my other roles) I can assure you my understanding of both of those areas is quite extensive...at least for the UK system.

Edited by Velvetwater