best Starwood or Marriott hotels?

poss

This would be for 2 or 3 nights. We'd like to be able use points. I'm not sure that one can always tell the quality of a hotel by looking at how the companies themselves rate them (i.e. how many points it costs to stay). We won't be using the tube, probably tours of some sort. We'd like a quiet relaxing area if possible, not bustling. We love gardens, so would be a plus if hotel happened to be near some handsome ones.

Thanks for input.

This would be for 2 or 3 nights. We'd like to be able use points. I'm not sure that one can always tell the quality of a hotel by looking at how the companies themselves rate them (i.e. how many points it costs to stay). We won't be using the tube, probably tours of some sort. We'd like a quiet relaxing area if possible, not bustling. We love gardens, so would be a plus if hotel happened to be near some handsome ones.

Thanks for input.

It might have helped if you actually stated that you were looking for a hotel in the London area (rather than just a comment that you won't be using the tube).

What do you mean by "best"? Everyone's priorities are different. What do you look for in a hotel (besides having it in a quiet relaxing area)?

Do you have any idea of what you would like to do on those tours? It might begin to narrow down the area you might want to be in.

Eeks! Sorry that I didn't mention London. I think I thought I was posting on a London thread. Thanks for the correction.

What we're looking for: good service, comfortable, decent sized rooms, king bed, good shower (not tub). Nice view would be a bonus, but the internal factors are more important to us. Not sure at this point what kind of tours we'd be looking at. No doubt some sort of group tour by bus or mini-van. Want to get a layout of the land, since it's been about 30 years since we've visited London. (We've visited Bath several times recently; we tend to like smaller towns/cities more than great big bustling ones at this point in our lives. But it's time we visited London once more.)

LHT28: I'm sifting through the TA reviews best I can.

Thanks to both.

Just looking a few with good ragtings from people that have stayed in the hotels

a few that get high ratings are

Marriott County Hall

Marriott Park Lane

Marriott West India Quay

Grand Residences by Marriott -Mayfair

47 park Street Grand Residences by Marriott

you would need to narrow them down by what you want in amenities & location that suit you & your needs

Enjoy

I personally like the Marriott Park Lane.

It's in the Marble Arch area and a short ride from Paddington if you take HEX. The hotel itself is in a bit of a neighborhood (although there are very busy streets, including adjacent to the hotel. It was renovated about 3 years ago. The rooms are decent sized by London standards. If you're Gold (Platinum now) or higher, there's a very nice lounge. Hyde Park is across the street. There's a bus stop next to the hotel, and Tube is a block away.

You're right off Oxford Street, walking distance (although a decent walk) from Piccadilly Circus, and many of the other attractions of that part of London.

We've stayed there twice, and are going back at Christmas...

We stayed at both the Marriott Grosvenor Square and Marriott County Hall a few years ago. Both were great and I would recommend them. They are in wonderful locations for sightseeing (the County Hall one is literally next to the London Eye). Prices were good, especially if booked far out.

I personally like the Marriott Park Lane.

It's in the Marble Arch area and a short ride from Paddington if you take HEX. The hotel itself is in a bit of a neighborhood (although there are very busy streets, including adjacent to the hotel. It was renovated about 3 years ago. The rooms are decent sized by London standards. If you're Gold (Platinum now) or higher, there's a very nice lounge. Hyde Park is across the street. There's a bus stop next to the hotel, and Tube is a block away.

You're right off Oxford Street, walking distance (although a decent walk) from Piccadilly Circus, and many of the other attractions of that part of London.

We've stayed there twice, and are going back at Christmas...

Thanks for the recommendation (even though I'm not the OP :cool: ) - I just booked Park Lane for my wife and I for a short trip in a couple weeks.

Quick question - what did you find was the easiest way to get from Paddington to the hotel? Planning on taking HEX when I land midday during the week and TfL recommends a bus, which I've never taken before (taken other forms of transport, such as the tube or taxis, though).

Thanks for the recommendation (even though I'm not the OP :cool: ) - I just booked Park Lane for my wife and I for a short trip in a couple weeks.

Quick question - what did you find was the easiest way to get from Paddington to the hotel? Planning on taking HEX when I land midday during the week and TfL recommends a bus, which I've never taken before (taken other forms of transport, such as the tube or taxis, though).

We've always taken a cab. There's a big cab rank outside Paddington. Probably 10 minutes or so (we're usually jetlagged pretty bad...).

I'm much appreciating the various input, and I've been studying the alternatives best I can. (This will be during an 89th birthday celebration for my husband, so am hoping for very pleasant accommodations. But also don't have unlimited funds ....)

I'm confused about the difference between Marriott Grosvenor Square and Marriott Grosvenor House.

Thanks again.

I'm confused about the difference between Marriott Grosvenor Square and Marriott Grosvenor House.

Well, they're 2 different hotels, in 2 different (albeit close) locations.

Have never stayed at Grosvenor Square, but is apparently smaller. Grosvenor House is massive, on Park Lane, and is considered one of the top Marriotts in London - indeed, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten a mention in this thread, especially as its location is quite quiet for Central London, and opposite Hyde Park. We stayed there for 1 night a few years ago, and had a most pleasant stay indeed.

JW Marriott (luxury line) Grosvenor House is way more expensive (and I'm sure worth it). The Marriott Grosvenor Square is more affordable, especially if booked way in advance. It's in a good area near shopping and restaurants. The US Embassy was nearby but I think that has since relocated (?). We were able to walk to Buckingham Palace. Another Marriott that I forgot to mention is St. Ermin's Hotel, part of the Autograph Collection. It was near the Palace and looked charming. I almost booked it for us but would up prepaying Grosvenor Square instead (price wins out when you need two rooms). You might check that one out as well.