EQUINOX DEUX - 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean - PV Trip Report 3/13/17

FRMPEI

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL - GETTING THERE

This excursion consisted of entering the canal at the second lock on the Atlantic side which I would estimate about 50 KMs into the total 77 KM canal's transit. We would enter at the second lock (Pedro Miguel Lock) and make our way toward the Pacific ocean and the third lock, a two stage lock (Mira Flores Lock). I am pretty sure the bus drove all the way to or near Panama City under the guise of a rest stop. I really think it was just an unnecessary stop at a souvenir place. Cut this stop out and you could easily save one hour in the time. The stopping for rest stop argument make no sense since the excursion boat had wash rooms. The bus then had to back track to the second canal. I know this because I recognized buildings on trip back to Colon at the end of the transit.

IMG_3911-XL.jpg

Buses stopped for Souvenirs I mean rest room break.

DSC00137-XL.jpg

Lines for the rest rooms.

DSC00138-XL.jpg

I am not sure if the buildings near our parking lot were vacant or not?

DSC00139-XL.jpg

Back tracking to the Pedro Miguel Lock.

IMG_0905-XL.jpg

IMG_0906-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL

We had a bit of delay when we arrived by bus at the start of our canal excursion waiting for security to clear the buses onto the compound. The tour boat had three passenger decks the most popular being the middle covered deck the partially covered upper deck and finally the lower deck with some cover. We were on the lower deck at the front of the boat. I am glad we ended up were we did. I figured it gave us the best viewing vantage and the middle deck's overhang provided sun shade when required, I believe the tour guides name was Roberto. Roberto provided commentary through out most of the afternoon. Water and soft drinks were complimentary and beer could be purchased. With temperatures hovering above 30C hydration was required this afternoon. Food / Snacks were also provided.

IMG_3919-XL.jpg

Take notice of this rather large crane in the background. The crane is called "Titan" and was one of four cranes seized from the Germans at the end of WWII. Not sure if this crane was installed in Germany or its occupied countries. It is a huge crane even in todays standards.

IMG_0911-X2.jpg

Titan

DSC00153-XL.jpg

It was too hot to sit on these chairs in the open sun. The chairs made their way under the shade of the overhang.

IMG_3922-XL.jpg

We are off!

DSC00151-XL.jpg

DSC00164-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL

The first large ship headed towards us was a MSC container ship. I understand that every ship on the Panama Canal must have a Panama Canal pilot aboard. Even our tour boat required a pilot. Each of these large ship also had a tugboat in tow. It is not cheap to take a vessel through the locks. There is no credit facility offered and your transit must be paid and booked in advance. I did a little research on the cost for container ships. The toll is charged by the container. You pay for the ship's container capacity of $60/container plus an additional $30 for each container you actually are transporting(60+30=90). So even if you went empty you would have to pay $60 each for your ship's container capacity. Complicated? I thought the toll on our Confederation Bridge was expensive.

DSC00171-XL.jpg

That is a lot of $90

DSC00183-XL.jpg

DSC00185-X2.jpg

DSC00187-XL.jpg

The Culebra Cut, formerly the Gaillard cut, linking the Atlantic side's Gatun Lake to the Gulf of Panama and eventually the Pacific Ocean.

IMG_3945-XL.jpg

One of the many hundreds of tug boats you see on the Panama Canal.

DSC00156-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

You may be winning the longest review ever :D:D

Robert

Robert,

I am pretty sure I am not going to finish it up before we leave on our next cruise March 21, 2018.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I am pretty sure I am not going to finish it up before we leave on our next cruise March 21, 2018.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

So, you will be flying today!

Safe travels.

Looking forward your next set of pictures.:cool:

Yep! That is it until we get back from our March 23, 2018 10 day Reflection.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I hope you and Donna have a wonderful Cruise! Darrell and I sat with you during the slot pull on the March 2017 cruise!! We sail on April 2nd, Reflection! Bon Voyage! Alma

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I want to say that I am sorry for your loss. Also, I have read your reviews before and loved them - this time, no different. We have sailed RCI, Carnival and Celebrity - Celebrity is by far our favorite. Now that we only live 3 hours from Fort Lauderdale - we will be able to cruise more often. Loved the Equinox - going on the Silouette in January.

Yep! That is it until we get back from our March 23, 2018 10 day Reflection.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, can't wait to hear about the end of your Equinox cruise and all about your newest Reflection cruise!

On a side note, after you described the sail always at Port Everglades, I have found a new hobby that fascinates me! Much to my DH's amazement - he doesn't quite understand my obsession.... [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Back from "Our Reflection" (title for next Trip Report?) 10 day cruise and it was fantastic.

Just started last night downloading my "many" photos into Lightroom.

Sorry can't share anything on that one until I get 2017 finished.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I hope you and Donna have a wonderful Cruise! Darrell and I sat with you during the slot pull on the March 2017 cruise!! We sail on April 2nd, Reflection! Bon Voyage! Alma

Enjoying your review! Have another great cruise!

Carol Ann

Thanks Guys Cruise on board Reflection was great.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

First of all, I want to say that I am sorry for your loss. Also, I have read your reviews before and loved them - this time, no different. We have sailed RCI, Carnival and Celebrity - Celebrity is by far our favorite. Now that we only live 3 hours from Fort Lauderdale - we will be able to cruise more often. Loved the Equinox - going on the Silouette in January.

Thanks for the comments. I love doing these Trip Reports. I am Jealous of you living so close to Ft Lauderdale. We are back on Silhouette March 2019 and 2020.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, can't wait to hear about the end of your Equinox cruise and all about your newest Reflection cruise!

On a side note, after you described the sail always at Port Everglades, I have found a new hobby that fascinates me! Much to my DH's amazement - he doesn't quite understand my obsession.... [emoji4]

Do you want to know what beats watching the webcam?... Standing on the 17th Street causeway bridge and watching the sail-aways. I also found my way to the beach by the rocks were the ships exit. I am thinking in 2019 I will venture there one evening to capture the sail aways. Don't worry about DH my DW does not get it either.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Do you want to know what beats watching the webcam?... Standing on the 17th Street causeway bridge and watching the sail-aways. I also found my way to the beach by the rocks were the ships exit. I am thinking in 2019 I will venture there one evening to capture the sail aways. Don't worry about DH my DW does not get it either.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Did you see Coral Princess leave today?! The news said there were tornados spotted in Ft. Lauderdale and I wouldn't doubt it based on what I saw! Coral Princess was going faster than any I've seen depart!

Thanks for the comments. I love doing these Trip Reports. I am Jealous of you living so close to Ft Lauderdale. We are back on Silhouette March 2019 and 2020.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin

Which itinerary are you planning for in 2020. We are looking at coming back across the pond again around then and as you know that is our usual sailing month for the Caribbean.

Would be great to meet up again.

Wes

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL

Before entering our first lock (actually the second or middle one) the Pedro Miguel Lock we would pass under one of two bridges that cross the Panama Canal. This first bridge is named Centennial Bridge which opened in 2004.

But first a few pictures before the first lock.

DSC00192-XL.jpg

DSC00201-XL.jpg

DSC00209-XL.jpg

IMG_0917-XL.jpg

Approaching the Centennial bridge.

DSC00244-XL.jpg

This tour boat was along our side for the whole trip and also tied up beside us when we were in the lock.

DSC00254-XL.jpg

That is my first photo post since our Reflection return. Lots more to come. Keep tuned and please add your comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL - CENTENNIAL BRIDGE

There is just something neat about passing underneath a huge super structure such as a bridge. This is the time even the least interested in photos get their camera out and start snapping. The last time for me going under a bridge was back in 2015 abroad the Canadian Warship HMCS Charlottetown when we were invited guests and sailed from Charlottetown Harbour to the Confederation Bridge and back. That experience was pretty neat and this one was just as interesting.

DSC00261-XL.jpg

The stepped cuts made on this 'hill' just before the bridge.

DSC00268-XL.jpg

DSC00281-XL.jpg

About to pass under Centennial Bridge.

IMG_3952-XL.jpg

Underneath view very similar to our Confederation Bridge.

DSC00288-XL.jpg

Looking back toward Centennial Bridge. That sailboat was a group of about 10 other sailboats that was also transiting the canal. They would be tied up directly behind us in the locks.

DSC00307-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL - PEDRO MIGUEL LOCK

So we are transiting from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean which you would naturally think would be a East to a West direction but, you are actually going North to South. Confused? I know you may have to look at a map to figure it out. To get to the Pacific our elevation must change downward. Pretty cool to see the canal wall beside you get larger as you drop into the lock. We were the first vessel into the lock and with that were given a pretty good view of the lock gates opening.

Approaching the "middle lock" Pedro Miguel Lock.

IMG_3955-XL.jpg

A crew member is ready to throw rope to a Canal worker standing at the top who tied us to the side of the canal. When we enter the lock we are basically at the ground level of the canal. The original locks (not the new ones) are 110 ft wide by 1050 ft long. We waited for more traffic to enter the canal this took about 30-40 minutes before rear gates were closed. The canal must maximize the numbers in the canal because it is fresh water in the locks.

DSC00323-XL.jpg

Unfortunately we did not get the chance to see these locomotives in action.

DSC00320-XL.jpg

Other tour boat coming along side of ours.

IMG_3961-XL.jpg

All the sailboats neatly assembled behind us.

DSC00343-XL.jpg

Starting to go down

DSC00332-X2.jpg

I am still not quite sure how the water comes and goes in the canal. Gravity! I know. But, I still have not figured it out yet for myself. Within 5 minutes we dropped and waited for a bell to ring which signified that the Canal Gates can open. The gates are actually a set of two that are neatly incorporated into the sides of the canal.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL

Ken and I touching the canal wall. (good luck?) Hopefully when I get my video together I can edit a neat time-lapse of the water leaving the lock(s).

DSC00361-XL.jpg

Lock gates opening

DSC00363-XL.jpg

A great view from our vantage point

IMG_3884-XL.jpg

Gates tucking themselves into the canal wall.

DSC00368-XL.jpg

A look back at Pedro Miguel Lock.

DSC00380-XL.jpg

So it is almost 1:45PM before we clear our first lock and this is the first time I get to sit my ass down since boarding. We were able to pull our chairs in under the overhang which gave us a nice relief from the blistering sun.

DSC00379-XL.jpg

This lock business would repeat its self all over again in about 30-45 minutes at the final lock Miraflores Lock. Which is a combination of two locks. To be honest I think we would have all been happy if we had just did one lock and called it a day.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DAY 5 - PANAMA CANAL - MIRAFLORES LOCKS

Some photos of the first stage of the Miraflores lock your gateway to the Pacific Ocean.

Approaching Miraflores Lock

DSC00392-XL.jpg

DSC00403-XL.jpg

Tiered viewing stands. I understand that you have to pay an admission for this.

DSC00419-XL.jpg

A view of the first stage of the Miraflores lock looking out onto the second stage.

DSC00441-XL.jpg

Water lowered to its lowest level before the gates open to the second stage of Miraflores lock.

DSC00454-XL.jpg

Look Up

DSC00467-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid