Booking help needed from longtime cruisers!

My husband, daughter and I are planning to cruise in February 2019, just three of us as my son will be college freshman. We plan to do the Liberty cabins that connect a spacious balcony with an interior. Will the one of us booked by themselves get double points for this cruise? If so, I’d like it to be me, not our teenager! After we cruise this June, we’ll all have 51 points, so 14 points for February cruise is taking a big leap toward diamond status. Also, this way my husband could get alcohol package and I could pay by the drink, correct? Because it’s two different rooms. One more question: once we get onboard, we can switch who is in which room, right? That’s what we plan to do in June because the kids are not immediately across hall from us (well they are, but it’s the side of the cabin, not door). If we make the switch next February once onboard, would I have to then purchase alcohol package? Bought it for this June cruise on Black Friday sale, but no guarantee I’d do it again. I also think I remember that one name on reservation must remain the same, so I need to book my daughter and husband in interior, so that if she does have a friend join we can move him to balcony room and girls will have interior. If all this sounds ok, it also saves about $100 in taxes to book two in interior and one in balcony.

Please tell me if this doesn’t make sense! Not sure I’m explaining correctly...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Makes perfect sense... and the way you outlined it sounds like it will work just fine.

Even with the single supplement, it's cheaper to put the two people in the interior? Crazy pricing!

When we had one adult and one kid in each of those rooms, they gave us a separate key for the room we wanted to sleep in, but kept our seapass card with the original room. I don't know if that's the same as it's been a while. But there was no problem with doing that.

We'll be in those rooms in June, but we booked the kids in the interior to begin with this time.

Edited by slvrbllt
fingers went faster than my brain as usual

I meant to also ask if I can cancel and rebook February when we’re onboard this June, if the price is less. I assume I can’t just adjust pricing to reflect extra onboard credit you can get for booking while onboard?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I meant to also ask if I can cancel and rebook February when we’re onboard this June, if the price is less. I assume I can’t just adjust pricing to reflect extra onboard credit you can get for booking while onboard?

I think the OBC for booking onboard is for new bookings only. So you would have to cancel and rebook, which is likely not going to be worth whatever cancellation fees you have to pay. I would just keep checking the website for new promos and try to reprice under one of those, since many of them don't have the "new bookings only" restriction.

Have you and your husband done all the same cruises/ cabins in the past? Or is one likely to sail separately in the future? If no to both questions, book the spouse who has earned (or is likely to earnin future). more points as the solo. Are you and you husband linked in C&A? If so you will both get the double points if either sails as the solo.

You can rearrange yourselves on board; they don’t care where you sleep. You may just wish to request extra keys at guest services so any of you can use either door (to avoid disturbing a napping family member or such). That’s probably easier, too

• 2 weeks later...
Have you and your husband done all the same cruises/ cabins in the past? Or is one likely to sail separately in the future? If no to both questions, book the spouse who has earned (or is likely to earnin future). more points as the solo. Are you and you husband linked in C&A? If so you will both get the double points if either sails as the solo.

You can rearrange yourselves on board; they don’t care where you sleep. You may just wish to request extra keys at guest services so any of you can use either door (to avoid disturbing a napping family member or such). That’s probably easier, too

We’ve always cruised together but there’s a chance my sister and I may cruise for her 50th next summer, so I booked myself as the single.

Good plan: take one for the team and cruise with sis. After all, your husband will gain points, too.

My husband sailed solo once, so his natural point count is higher. Since we are linked, I get his point total. So whenever there is the option for one of us to be the designated solo or suite cruiser in the future, it will be him over me.

Curious the cabin you booked for the yourself, didn't you just about pay the full rate as if there was 2 persons in the cabin minus one person's taxes and port fees........................if so I would put anyone's name in your cabin as the second passenger now.

This way say you do find a friend of your daughters that's wants to go then you just change that second's person's name in your cabin to that person......................otherwise you would have to cancel your reservation and then reprice that cabin you have for 2 person's ............and who knows the category cabin you booked may be much higher $$$ later down the road.

Understand what I mean?

Push comes to shove..well maybe you never find that friend to go with your daughter......... so you show up to the pier with only 3 person's , you just say the other dummy name person had to cancel...most likely you will get the port fees and taxes back for that second person anyway right then.

But by not putting that second name you run thre risk of the cabin being priced much higher when you find out you have the change the cabin from 1 person to 2 person's....Your reservation will be repriced at the current rates.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

If one of the cabins is booked as a single, you run the risk, if you try to add a second person at a later date, that you won't be able to do so. I say this because my dad sailed as a single after my mom died. He paid for 2 etc.

A few years after sailing solo, he decided, after he booked, to have a friend go with him as he was paying for 2 anyway. He tried to add the friend and was told he couldn't. He questioned the reasoning and was told many people booked as 3 or 4 in a cabin and the lifeboat capacity was filled.

I know this doesn't happen all the time, but I wanted to alert you to the possibility. It is safer to book a 2nd passenger as TBA and if the friend doesn't go, you can drop the TBA before FP. You would have to use the refundable deposit that way, but you would be sure a friend could go,