Black Card Members

mabones

DC ... A quote from a guy I know who has done 44 cruises with Princess on this issue.

I think the same Princess wise, i have paid 100,000 for my Black Elite status and don`t think its right, folks who sail on P and O and try it once get my perks, so I see where everyone stands, they could have handled it better.

Since this, Princess no longer have this arrangement with P an O so the chances of other lines following suit I would say is Zero.

Hmm. Not sure I'd agree. How would 1 cruise with P&O be equivalent to 100,000 on Princess, unless P&O is an ultraluxury line which would give you such high status after just one cruise? That's not the same as comparing RCI, Carnival, NCL, MSC, Princess,Costa, HAL, etc. to one another. A better example might be comparing ultraluxury lines to one another.

I think that you interpreted his reply wrong. I marked below how I interpreted it.

Hmm. Not sure I'd agree. How would 1 cruise with P&O be equivalent to 100,000 on Princess, unless P&O is an ultraluxury line which would give you such high status after just one cruise? That's not the same as comparing RCI, Carnival, NCL, MSC, Princess,Costa, HAL, etc. to one another. A better example might be comparing ultraluxury lines to one another.

DC ... A quote from a guy I know who has done 44 cruises with Princess on this issue.

I think the same Princess wise, i have paid $100,000 for my Black Elite status and don`t think its right, folks who sail on P and O MANY TIMES and try PRINCESS once get my perks, so I see where everyone stands, they could have handled it better.

Since this, Princess no longer have this arrangement with P an O so the chances of other lines following suit I would say is Zero.

No, I didn't interpret it wrong, I assumed 100,000 meant $ and not number of times. So if you're telling me that one cruise on P&O would cost $100,000 US, then my comment about comparable lines (regular, higher class and ultraluxury) is accurate.

What he was saying is exactly the same as what is happening on MSC with status match ie person X getting the same benefits on Princess as him where he has earned his level for being at a similar level on P and O.

These aren’t rewards programs and the status is arbitrary. They are MARKETING programs. If the companies were able to support their growth and revenue targets without them, they would. All those saying they spent $100k to “earn” perks are just fooling themselves. You got to go on multiple luxury vacations, the perks are just a marketing tool to keep you coming back when a competitor is largely similar in offering, price, itinerary.

Same as booking during a marketing promotion that includes a raft of benefits, that is what it was at the time and can change anytime.

Often I think “loyalty” (heh) programs are purposely devalued not because they are too successful, but because those that derive the perks spend less onboard than newcomers and they want to make space

Newcomers to MSC are likely to spend less than those loyal to them especially in the North American market, a look at the number of first time cruisers who have had a status match and will never cruise with them again proves it.

If so called newcomers spend more money, then how come people are cashing in the obc they are getting from their travel agents so they don't spend it onboard ?

It appears that most people don't get the issue here and see it as an attack on them for doing the status match, when the real issue is that the attack is against MSC!

....because those that derive the perks spend less onboard than newcomers [/Quote]

No idea what that statement is based on, but, as one of those who "derives the perks", I already have an onboard bill of over €1200 racked up on our upcoming cruise - before we even sail! That doesn't even include a drinks package cost as we'll be in YC, so have the premium package included.

Newcomers to MSC are likely to spend less than those loyal to them especially in the North American market, a look at the number of first time cruisers who have had a status match and will never cruise with them again proves it.

That flies in the face of convention. If you have data and facts to support your statements, I will accept them!

What's it to you?

It's the loss of a chunk of major benefits so that the likes of you can enjoy the watred down benefits

lost benefits

1) 20% discount on any cruise and any deal on any MSC Cruise. replaced by 5% discount for everyone

2) A bottle of Champagne per member. replaced with a bottle of sparkling wine per cabin

3) Dinner with officers including drinks. replaced with a cocktail party

4) Discounts on excursions. replaced with nothing.

5) A complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant (from the full menu) with 25% off

drinks, replaced with a complimentary dinner (from a taster or limited menu, no discount on drinks)

and a host of other lesser benefits.

So please do your homework before asking

WHAT'S IT TO YOU?

IT was and still is a hell of lot to give up, and we earned it by cruising with MSC.

Pete

PS I forgot to say we now get a CHOCOLATE SHIP

That's a fair swop !! lol; lol; lol ;p :p :')

It's the loss of a chunk of major benefits so that the likes of you can enjoy the watred down benefits

lost benefits

1) 20% discount on any cruise and any deal on any MSC Cruise. replaced by 5% discount for everyone

2) A bottle of Champagne per member. replaced with a bottle of sparkling wine per cabin

3) Dinner with officers including drinks. replaced with a cocktail party

4) Discounts on excursions. replaced with nothing.

5) A complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant (from the full menu) with 25% off

drinks, replaced with a complimentary dinner (from a taster or limited menu, no discount on drinks)

and a host of other lesser benefits.

So please do your homework before asking

WHAT'S IT TO YOU?

IT was and still is a hell of lot to give up, and we earned it by cruising with MSC.

Pete

PS I forgot to say we now get a CHOCOLATE SHIP

That's a fair swop !! lol; lol; lol ;p :p :')

“The likes of you.” WTH is that supposed to mean? “Do my homework?”

Wow. I ASKED not to be flamed, you obviously ignored that request.

If your demeanor is indicative of Black Card passengers, I’d say having your benefits reduced is fitting. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your demeanor is indicative of Black Card passengers, I’d say having your benefits reduced is fitting. [emoji35]

I reacted to the question "what's it to you?", which I think is provocative and deserves a robust answer despite your request "not to be flamed"

I then merely imparted the facts of our lost benefits as you have obviously not been made aware of them.

This is about the sixth time I've posted these lost benefits , so I'm surprised you were unaware of them.

"The likes of you" is merely the 2nd person plural of your 1st person singular "LIKE ME"

Pete

First off, as I tried to allude to in my post, if I were you I would feel exactly as angry. All I was trying to offer in my post was to say that you can look at it in some other way other than how it’s affecting you. It’s obvious the cruise line is trying to woo new passengers in conjunction with its new ship sailing from Miami, and I am one who benefits. FYI I did not get black card status, but gold. Let’s just be clear about that. I have read many posts about the change in benefits from you and from other posters on Cruise Critic, and I am definitely aware of the reductions, which are substantial. Like I said, I’d be upset, too. In the United States, where I live, the expression “the likes of you“ is used pejoratively and derisively, as if a person is less than the speaker. That’s why I reacted as I did. Perhaps the expression has a different meaning where you live.

Finally, I have read many of your posts on Cruise Critic and you’re one of my favorite posters. [emoji4] You offer a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it. Keep posting!

Making friends all over I see .... :).

I've never quite understood how the current black card match has even worked as a loyalty/marketing scheme. I acknowledge that it has indeed done what it was intended to do, but a chocolate ship and a pre-set menu is not enough incentive for me to try any product. Black status on a budget line is not in the same league as top tier rewards on other lines.

Bottom line, the pie is finite. MSC knows very well what they do.

No, I didn't interpret it wrong, I assumed 100,000 meant $ and not number of times. So if you're telling me that one cruise on P&O would cost $100,000 US, then my comment about comparable lines (regular, higher class and ultraluxury) is accurate.

No, he spent $100,000 booking Princess cruises to attain his high status on Princess and although the other man cruised many times on P&O for high status, the other man got high status on Princess on his very first Princess cruise by matching status.

He feels like the other man should not have gotten high status on Princess on his first Princess cruise just because he status matched.

So far Seaside has been pretty firm on the one specialty meal for two people per cabin, regardless if both are Black status. They are suffering a lot of grievances, but the rule is being pushed by corporate. I have read some managed to get a second complimentary, but the only way I have seen them make accommodation is by offering a discount on a second meal or giving the Black card a la carte discount for a second meal.

Last night we (both Black status ) went to Butcher's Cut with a friend who is a Classic card holder and after a small bit of negotiating got their meal from the a la carte menu for 50% off. Not a big win, but the ship staff are trying to appease.

On Divina right now 02092018. Both of us are Black Card. We each got free meal for 2. So, we each had 2 free meals in 2 Specialty Restaurants. Galaxy & Steakhouse from regular menu.
Did you get one or two bottles of prosecco?

Despite the fact that there should be only one issued per cabin, it has been reported here on many occasions that those on Divina got two bottles when both cabin occupants were Black Card members. I'm just wondering if this is still the case.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just had a reply from MSC to the issues we had regarding the Black card benefits on Seaside which were noted in our review.

Maybe they are going to actually do something about the problems they have caused if this paragraph is to be believed.

MSC have noted any disappointment and we apologise if the new loyalty programme is not to your liking. Customer feedback goes a long way in helping us make any necessary improvements and we would like to advise that your feedback has been addressed with the relevant MSC Club Dept with a view of reviewing this programme as part of our on-going checks.

I think MSC must have hired, the actor/comedian/great over all person and human being, Mr. Redbuttons when he said (and made a career of it):"Why did this person get a dinner,when some of the best people in this world, NEVERHAD A DINNER"? MSC must have hired him to be new manager of member perks.

Cheers.

We have had zero communication issues with MSC. They have to date, been as aligned and coordinated as other CLs and hotels/resorts. 50x better than all current US airlines...

As global business travelers, who have lived abroad, we appreciate consistent quality services/offerings...MSC is top 1/3rd.

I grew up in the hospitality business and can speak to the inconsistency of travelers skills and interpersonal acumen.

Life does happen and when I find myself in a situation that is not 'meeting expectations'...the first thing I do is 'check' myself and ask what ownership I have in the situation/outcomes...was it unrealistic expectations, miss steps, attitude, tone, timing, etc...

Takes two to tango ;-)

Cheers, enjoy your vacays!