Serenade of the Seas observations

Reijo

We are still on Serenade on an 11 night Southern Caribbean Cruise. I have always said that there is something to eat in the MDR every night that you will enjoy and I’ve frowned upon those slamming the food, BUT, after 30+ cruises, I have to say this was the worst I’ve ever experienced. There were times that I could make a meal of the starters because almost every one was good. Four of the eight starters are on the menu every night....of the remaining four, they were nothing to write home about and/or something I would never eat.....and I’m not a picky eater. This is the first time EVER that I’ve had the same appetizer for 7 of our 11 nights because there wasn’t anything I liked. Main courses left a lot to be desired.

Okay enough of the meals......the MDR is set up with more tables for six than anything else. People were not wanting to sit at them if you were a couple. A number of tables for eight also. Not so many tables for four. And to top it off, you ALWAYS have trouble finding a table because of the people just sitting, reading books, talking, playing cards, etc. while others are walking around looking for tables! Absolutely ridiculous!

As frustrating as this was, would I cruise on this ship again, most definitely! Just disappointing. Vent over.

Sorry you have not enjoyed the food. We are sitting on the beach in Ft Lauderdale waiting for you disembark Friday so we can embark for our TA.😁

I’m interested to see what our opinion of the food is😀

Sherri😀

Sorry you have not enjoyed the food. We are sitting on the beach in Ft Lauderdale waiting for you disembark Friday so we can embark for our TA.😁

I’m interested to see what our opinion of the food is😀

Sherri😀

Sherri, you definitely won’t go hungry. Sadly, I’ve read of people saying there was a steady decline in the food and this was the first time it was noticeable to my husband and me. I just wasn’t prepared for it.

The biggest problem you’ll have will be seating in Windjammer. Enjoy your cruise.

I’m sure you’re right about the seating issues in WJ, we’ve always found that to be a problem on a TA. People like to camp out there to read or play games/cards, especially if the weather is not conducive to being outside.

I’m sure we’ll have a great time!

Sherri😀

Royal Main Dining was always set up for big tables, started adding smaller tables less then 20 yrs ago although still not many 2 tops. But this cruise starting last week is last week of US Spring Break, so Busy Busy... Been sailing Royal ships for 30+ years. One thing can say about Serenade is best WindJammer Dinner food taste and selection ever seen...

Royal Main Dining was always set up for big tables, started adding smaller tables less then 20 yrs ago although still not many 2 tops. But this cruise starting last week is last week of US Spring Break, so Busy Busy... Been sailing Royal ships for 30+ years. One thing can say about Serenade is best WindJammer Dinner food taste and selection ever seen...

We haven’t tried Windjammer for dinner.....our mistake. Tonight is Formal night, if the menu has nothing tomorrow night, perhaps we’ll try it!

Loved the MDR food - and we were a party of 2, requested a big table and got a table for 6 - loved our seat mates. I only ate in the WJ one night - because I was late returning from my excursion and didn't have time to get there on time - mostly hated the WJ food, both at lunch and dinner ...

Glad to hear the food in the WJ has improved. Our last few Royal cruises we avoided the WJ because it was pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

I think the Windjammer food is mostly a situation of...you love it or dislike it. Have always enjoyed Windjammer except for the crowds. This cruise was different. Regardless, when we could find a seat, we ate there about half the days.

One other MDR issue, that we’ve never encountered before, was the slowness of service. I don’t think it was our waiter AT ALL as he kept apologizing every night and thanked us for our patience. It took a long time to get starters and forever, it seemed, for our main course.....and then we sat, and sat. Whenever we did get our dessert, it was always room temp....never warm. Ice cream was always partially melted. Again, our waiter was EXCELLENT, we really felt sorry for him. Our dining time was 7:15 and we were often early. We were only able to make ONE show due to this. Shows were usually at 8:30. Maybe they’re trying something new.....no clue.

There had to be an issue in the kitchen.

My take after a couple of cruises with the new menu is: there is no longer the excitement for what is on the menu. So much is repeated each day and the additions sure don’t WOW me! There was a time when so many things sounded great and it was hard to choose what I wanted to enjoy. Now it is hard to find one thing to order.

:(:(Just off the 11 day Serenade. I must agree that RCCL's food quality has deteriorated from even since the last cruise on the IOS about 14 months ago. We are Diamond but cruise on several lines and this was the worst food in the MDR of any. I attribute much of it to be the repetitiousness of the MDR menu. The waiters and other staff are doing their part but it appeared the kitchen was still having problems with the new menu. Being diabetic, one positive note was this cruise the best sugar free foods of any line over the last 15 years.

• 3 weeks later...
Sherri, you definitely won’t go hungry. Sadly, I’ve read of people saying there was a steady decline in the food and this was the first time it was noticeable to my husband and me. I just wasn’t prepared for it.

The biggest problem you’ll have will be seating in Windjammer. Enjoy your cruise.

I just returned from a TA on the Brillance. food was not perfect but not too bad there is always something worth eating. We had a great time and will sail the Sernade next April!

They are paving the way for NO MDR....they are wanting everyone to use the buffet, so they can charge more for "good" meals....wait and see. The MDR has gone downhill faster than an Olympic Luge!

We were on the recent TA and felt most of the food was good; however, we both agree the menus each night do not give you much tp choose from and became a little monotonous on a 16 day cruise.

Breakfast in the WJ was excellent!:D

Sherri:)