Just boarded Magnifica

kernow

Thanks for all your updates, we are sailing on Magnifica in September. Like you we have stopped sailing with P&O and was a little concerned MSC might become to British this season. We are a little concerned they have cut dinner down to three courses, used to love the 6/7 courses especially their risotto. Are they still producing the best Pizza at sea?

Although the menu appears laid out as 3 courses you can still have the 6/7 courses - we still do that although tend to stick to 4 or 5 :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for all your updates, we are sailing on Magnifica in September. Like you we have stopped sailing with P&O and was a little concerned MSC might become to British this season. We are a little concerned they have cut dinner down to three courses, used to love the 6/7 courses especially their risotto. Are they still producing the best Pizza at sea?

Yes there is no problem ordering multiple dishes, some at our table have been doing that. I actually think the portions are a bit bigger now so three courses is plenty for me.

The pizza is still fab, just had 2 slices for lunch, I always say I'll just have one but can never resist. I have just found something in the buffet which I didn't like, the burgers. They are pre made in boxes and tasted very dry and the bread had gone hard. Never mind, more room for pizza

Julie

Good morning from Magnifica. We've just left Amsterdam and are at sea for the rest of the day arriving in Hamburg tomorrow.

Last night was 'white night'. They had decorations and activities in the Tiger bar. There was a 'name that tune' type game that we watched before dinner and a party later.

We went to the Oriental speciality restaurant for our black card meal. It's a set menu but the people we went with didn't like some things and they allowed them to change. I have a pic and will post it later. We enjoyed the food and thought it made a nice change from the MDR.

After dinner we headed back to the Tiger bar but it was packed so we went next door to Topazio where they had a vocalist on. It was also busy but we managed to find some seats.

When we got back to our cabin we found a bottle of Asti and a plate of chocolate fruits with a note thanking us for our feedback and apologising for the inconvenience caused. We have no idea what this is about. The only thing we have been to guest services for was to ask for a print out of our account as it is not working on the TV. It certainly wasn't a complaint.

This morning we have the meet and mingle at 11 and the 'black card' event at 12. No other real plans so a nice,relaxing sea day😀

Julie

Sitting in the atrium drinking a delicious hot chocolate and listening to music from the classical trio.

The meet and mingle was great, around 18 people turned up and they served drinks, canapés and a cake. It was attended by the Hotel director, cruise director, guest service manager and assistant purser who all came around talking to us and making notes. They asked what was good, what was bad and our suggestions for improvements. They genuinely seem to be making an effort to adapt to the market.

There was also a freelance journalist working for cruise critic Uk who is on the ship to update the info on the review page on this site.

They are going to hold a M and M every week from now on, at the moment informally and eventually hope to have a sign up on the roll call page. There are currently around 1000 UK guests, 1000 German guests and the rest other nationalities. They hope in time to have a ship regularly based in the UK with a large percentage of British guests.

Someone earlier asked about the MSC app, on this ship there is something called MSC Magnifica traveller which I think is similar, ( not exactly sure how MSC for me works). I think you can only get this one once onboard.

Julie

Good morning from Magnifica. We've just left Amsterdam and are at sea for the rest of the day arriving in Hamburg tomorrow.

Last night was 'white night'. They had decorations and activities in the Tiger bar. There was a 'name that tune' type game that we watched before dinner and a party later.

We went to the Oriental speciality restaurant for our black card meal. It's a set menu but the people we went with didn't like some things and they allowed them to change. I have a pic and will post it later. We enjoyed the food and thought it made a nice change from the MDR.

After dinner we headed back to the Tiger bar but it was packed so we went next door to Topazio where they had a vocalist on. It was also busy but we managed to find some seats.

When we got back to our cabin we found a bottle of Asti and a plate of chocolate fruits with a note thanking us for our feedback and apologising for the inconvenience caused. We have no idea what this is about. The only thing we have been to guest services for was to ask for a print out of our account as it is not working on the TV. It certainly wasn't a complaint.

This morning we have the meet and mingle at 11 and the 'black card' event at 12. No other real plans so a nice,relaxing sea day😀

Julie

Really appreciate all the updates. Thanks for taking time out to do that :) Definitely going with an open mind about everything and will enjoy our holiday no matter what. Can I ask how long it took to get into the centre of Amsterdam and would it be easy to do this ourselves without an organised tour?

Really appreciate all the updates. Thanks for taking time out to do that :) Definitely going with an open mind about everything and will enjoy our holiday no matter what. Can I ask how long it took to get into the centre of Amsterdam and would it be easy to do this ourselves without an organised tour?

Yes, it's very easy the ship docks right in town about a 10 minute walk to the central station and main square. Loads of transport and tourist information stands right there.

Julie

I just tried to upload a photo but it seems very slow and don't want to use all my allowance (have the 2 mb package) so will post when we get home.

We've had a nice day in Le Havre, it started out grey and a bit chilly this morning so we just decided to walk into town and look around. It takes about 30 mins walking to the centre, there is also a shuttle bus which costs 4 euros pp for a day pass if you don't want to walk. The town is not that exciting but we walked through the shopping area and out to the beach/ waterfront on the other side which is nicer.

By the time we were walking back it was brightening up and we were too warm in our jackets.

We went up to the buffet for a late lunch. Top tip for the buffet, walk right to the back, it is much quieter and there always seem to be lots of tables available. We are finding the buffet food very good, actually better than our last couple of cruises on RCL and Celebrity. Lots of choices, again make sure you walk right around as the sections do not repeat much. We never eat dinner in the buffet so can't comment on that.

By the time we had finished the sun had come out so we grabbed a gelato (included in the package and very good) and a glass of bubbly and took it back to enjoy on our sunny balcony! I packed sunscreen at the last minute never really expecting to need it but I've put some on for the last couple of hours.

Off to shower and get ready for the evening now, we're going to try and catch the 7pm show tonight.It's called Pura Pasion and features Spanish dancing.

Julie

can you call send messages on Viber or Whats up with this internet?

Hi Julie,

Heading on this cruise next Monday so your review is fab and really alleviates concerns over some of the very bad reviews.

We go with an open mind so I think we will enjoy it.

One question on the MDR please - are there any tables for two ?

Thanks

Will write a full review when we get back to the UK but wanted to add a warning about room service.

We are not particularly enjoying the food onboard to ordered some room service last night and were charged. There is a very limited menu but we ordered x2 cheese plates, x2 tortillas and salsa and x2 bottles of water and were charged 18 euros. We are in an Aurea cabin and when we queried the charge with the front desk were told breakfast in your cabin is free but room service is not. Even though we have the drinks package included with Aurea they still charged for the bottles of water!!!

Just a warning for any future guests

Thanks again for the updates, Julie. I really appreciate the time you've taken out of your holiday.

Is there a coffee bar on board? We really enjoyed the one on Splendida.

I don't think there is an actual dedicated coffee bar, you can get all the hot drinks at any of the bars though.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Heading on this cruise next Monday so your review is fab and really alleviates concerns over some of the very bad reviews.

We go with an open mind so I think we will enjoy it.

One question on the MDR please - are there any tables for two ?

Thanks

I'm not sure, all of the tables near us are larger ones. I will have a good look tonight though.

Julie

Will write a full review when we get back to the UK but wanted to add a warning about room service.

We are not particularly enjoying the food onboard to ordered some room service last night and were charged. There is a very limited menu but we ordered x2 cheese plates, x2 tortillas and salsa and x2 bottles of water and were charged 18 euros. We are in an Aurea cabin and when we queried the charge with the front desk were told breakfast in your cabin is free but room service is not. Even though we have the drinks package included with Aurea they still charged for the bottles of water!!!

We haven't tried room service as we are Fantastica and knew we would be charged. I thought it would be included for you.

Did you go to the meet and mingle? I think the general consensus there was that the food, particularly in the MDR is the weak link on the ship but I think they will try and improve.

Last night was hit and miss for us, I had the pasta to start which was disappointing but the butter chicken for main course was really nice, most of us ordered it and everyone agreed. I had Tarte Tatin for dessert which looked a bit of a mess but tasted good.

Yesterday afternoon we discovered afternoon tea in the buffet, scones and clotted cream, sandwiches made to order or ready prepared and proper British hot desserts. DH was thrilled because they even had proper custard:D

Julie

Hi Julie

Have you been up to the gym? I'm thinking of getting a Thermal Area Pass for my sailing in July. Curious what the spa relaxation area is like as it's included in the pass along with sauna and turkish bath.

Thanks

Neil

:halo:

I had a look for smaller tables as we walked in last night and there are very few, mostly tables for 6 or 8. I would go to the dining room as soon as you board and see if there is any chance of getting a smaller one.

Julie

Hi Julie

Have you been up to the gym? I'm thinking of getting a Thermal Area Pass for my sailing in July. Curious what the spa relaxation area is like as it's included in the pass along with sauna and turkish bath.

Thanks

Neil

Sorry I haven't been up to the spa at all.

We have been chatting to a couple who have purchased the spa pass and I know she has been reading this thread so maybe she will chime in. Rosy where are you:)?

Julie

We were in Hamburg yesterday and it's a big changeover day for the ship, 1200 passengers got off and new ones got on. It seems like the ship treats this as the first day of the cruise as last night they had welcome aboard entertainment and lots of packages to purchase for the new cruise in the daily planner. It felt a bit odd as it's nearly the end of our cruise.

We didn't think the food was very good last night. I had Minestrone soup which seemed like it came out of a tin and roast turkey with sweet potato and stuffing which was so so. DH had the always available fish which was almost raw and the plate was swimming in water so he sent it back!

The dining room food is definitely an area they need to work on.

We have our final sea day today, it's misty outside so I think we'll be spending it indoors. We are big F1 fans so hoping they will be showing the race live in the Sports bar.

Julie

We’re on this cruise too. I’m a bit late finding this thread!

I agree pretty much with Julie. There is a big Wow! factor with the ship itself; there appears to be plenty of public space; organisation so far is good; MDR could be a lot better. The buffet is excellent (do as Julie says and go to the back). Entertainment +++. I think there are 4 bars with 4 different music styles, running all evening, plus the stage shows. We’ve seen two of these which were absolutely stunning. The theatre itself is lovely, with plenty of space for everyone. There’s not a lot happening today - sunbathing isn’t an option! A film in the theatre would be good but ...

Overall, I think we got good VFM with this one. If I knew then what I know now, I think I would have eaten in the buffet in the evenings. The MDR times of 6 and 8.30 aren’t the best

Sorry I haven't been up to the spa at all.

We have been chatting to a couple who have purchased the spa pass and I know she has been reading this thread so maybe she will chime in. Rosy where are you:)?

Julie

Yes, we bought the spa pass to be honest we haven’t used it much, you get access to relaxation area there are about 8 loungers 3 jacuzzis then there are two saunas and two steam rooms ( 1 coconut and the other papaya ) it has never been busy when we were in

Rosy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Julie, we are in the Tiger bar at the window near the bar, where are you ?

Rosy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been walking around the outside decks having a good look at everything. We're going down to Le Gocce bar in a minute where apparently they are going to show the F1

Julie

Yes its the play on Words (delivery free) See Breakfast in your Cabin (Delivery + Breakfast free of charge) !

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Even when you have the Bar and Restaurant drinks package, if you use the bottled water in your cabin, you get charged. Unless I believe you have the deluxe package.

However collect the water in the bars and take it back, its included.

Shame your not enjoying the food, Did you try the Buffet ?, they usually have some really good food there, especially the Pasta and Fish dishes.