Just boarded Magnifica

kernow

Thanks so much for the great review. We are going to be boarding in Southampton on May 24. One question I have is whether the sports bar serves food. We were on the Divina on January 2017 and we got sandwiches and burgers for no extra charge. Not many people seemed to know about it. Have you noticed if the sports bar on Magnifica does the same?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had the Aurea package which included use of the thermal spa area etc. It was nice but far too small. We had our massage today which was also included in the package and it was excellent. We had a couples Bali full 50minute massage. Highly recommended.

I would certainly pay for their massages but not bother with the Spa access.

We had bathrobes from our cabin to take to the Spa but I noticed that anyone without a cabin robe were not given a robe for their time in the Spa.

The gym was quite well equipped but small for the size of the ship and very busy.

This was our first MSC cruise and We won’t be cruising with them again.

We have cruised before with Cunard and Celebrity and this was a very different experience. I will be doing a full review in the next few days but to sum up it’s an attractive ship but the service, food and lack of information ruined the trip for us. I don’t believe this cruise is set up for us Brits 3even though it’s advertised as such. Due to the number of Germans and other Europeans onboard means the social side of cruising was very difficult and all the MANY announcements in five different languages was extremely annoying.

Book the Magnifica at your peril.

Enjoy

Hello Minnie29, I do not understand why you or others would expect the same quality of food or amenities on MSC as you would find on a more expensive cruise line. MSC is far less expensive than Celebrity or Cunard. We have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and as Americans we enjoyed our cruise on the MSC Divina last year more than our previous three cruises. We love the European feel and entertainment offered. We also thought the food on the Divina was far better than Carnival and comparable to Royal Caribbean. We are hoping to find the Magnifica to be similar to the Divina. I would not expect it to be up to the standard of Celebrity and especially Cunard as these lines are much more expensive in the states. I prefer to spend the extra money in the amazing countries we are privileged to visit. It is all a matter of taste and pocket book but comparisons should be fair.

Breakfast pastries, lunchtime sandwiches, afternoon cakes. Nothing hot. It’s a great find, though it gets busier as the week goes on and more people get to know about it.

Midships, deck 7

Thanks Eddie for the information. We really enjoyed getting a quick meal in the sports bar on the Divina. I am glad to know we can get sandwiches on the Magnifica.

It's our final morning and we are just going to breakfast before disembarking.

I will sum up and add some pics when we get home but overall we have enjoyed the cruise and will sail with MSC in the future. Of course they are not the same as other lines but for us variety is the spice of life and for the price we paid for this cruise I think it is great value for money.

I can see why people who came expecting a 'British' cruise are disappointed, maybe MSC marketed it badly and we did say that to the hotel director. However we have sailed with them before so had different expectations.

To all those cruising soon, come with an open mind and you will probably enjoy it.

Julie

It's our final morning and we are just going to breakfast before disembarking.

I will sum up and add some pics when we get home but overall we have enjoyed the cruise and will sail with MSC in the future. Of course they are not the same as other lines but for us variety is the spice of life and for the price we paid for this cruise I think it is great value for money.

I can see why people who came expecting a 'British' cruise are disappointed, maybe MSC marketed it badly and we did say that to the hotel director. However we have sailed with them before so had different expectations.

To all those cruising soon, come with an open mind and you will probably enjoy it.

Julie

Sorry we missed you last night and this morn lovely meeting you both safe journey home

Rosy & Dave

Sorry we missed you last night and this morn lovely meeting you both safe journey home

Rosy & Dave

Rosy and Dave,

It was great to meet you too, making new friends and having fun is always the best part of any cruise for us.

We're just unpacking the cases and putting the first load of washing in. I'll post our final thoughts in the next couple of days. Look forward to reading other reviews of this cruise too,

Julie

Hello Minnie29, I do not understand why you or others would expect the same quality of food or amenities on MSC as you would find on a more expensive cruise line. MSC is far less expensive than Celebrity or Cunard. We have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and as Americans we enjoyed our cruise on the MSC Divina last year more than our previous three cruises. We love the European feel and entertainment offered. We also thought the food on the Divina was far better than Carnival and comparable to Royal Caribbean. We are hoping to find the Magnifica to be similar to the Divina. I would not expect it to be up to the standard of Celebrity and especially Cunard as these lines are much more expensive in the states. I prefer to spend the extra money in the amazing countries we are privileged to visit. It is all a matter of taste and pocket book but comparisons should be fair.

If you enjoyed Divina I think you will enjoy this ship. Our American tablemates had done several cruises but only one previous MSC on Divina from Miami. They did say they preferred the food on Divina but overall enjoyed Magnifica and last night told us they had visited the future cruise desk and booked a cruise on Lirica for next year which I guess says it all!

Julie

OK I'm going to try and add some pics.

Dinner menus

3b65479d1da80768d66a415e259612ce.jpg

This was the first formal night, sorry they are not in order

93d7e953dec07e757b49abf895684710.jpg

d44f1aebed6014d477cd858c7e27556b.jpg

Desserts

c435907cde0f82e63e7b1dba91db2d12.jpg

Second formal night

73b66161300e344255809dad9b176441.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cabin when we first arrived2e49973fd8095abe35c68b1a26e9c86b.jpg

c33ad4975b4a797417574de2a7a02db2.jpg

Black card gifts

377ad0c0dfcc55df71d94d2aafecb9eb.jpg

5aa216d57551f95953f1759bd132c27b.jpg

Kettle and supplies

d891f8f31c44d7bd1194ec029d949c11.jpg

I think there are a few more on DHs phone so will post them later.

Hope these have worked,

Julie

A few more

920273af018baf472d920853e922cdba.jpg

Black card menu in speciality restaurant

11e7f3413798c0381660d9d269d8ece3.jpg

Letter in the cabin about the British items, we didn't see the Sunday lunch but maybe it was in the MDR at lunch time, it would have been nice to have on the evening menu.

97a0bd10eb0410b498e479debdf93669.jpg

No sign of Lurpak on this ship[emoji3]

DH has loads of random pictures as he was answering questions on the FB page, if anyone wants anything specific I'll see if we've got it.

Julie

11e7f3413798c0381660d9d269d8ece3.jpg

Letter in the cabin about the British items, we didn't see the Sunday lunch but maybe it was in the MDR at lunch time, it would have been nice to have on the evening menu.

Wow, I never saw such a friendly welcome letter for ANY nationality. And yes, I traveled with some different nationalies before.

Like the review. We were on this cruise. Never had a problem ordering drinks in fact the opposite. We were nearly always sat at the bar mainly in L'Ametista or T32 Disco. Earliest night we went to bed was 01:30 and I am over 60 before you ask ha ha. Every time we turned around one of the bar staff had set us up with fresh drinks without us even asking.

Like the review. We were on this cruise. Never had a problem ordering drinks in fact the opposite. We were nearly always sat at the bar mainly in L'Ametista or T32 Disco. Earliest night we went to bed was 01:30 and I am over 60 before you ask ha ha. Every time we turned around one of the bar staff had set us up with fresh drinks without us even asking.

No, I don't understand all the complaints about slow service. Even in the Tiger bar when it was very busy, sitting at the bar or just walking up to it got you a drink in a few minutes.

We also thought that the bar staff across the whole ship were some of the friendliest we've ever had.

Julie

Hi

Julie,sorry I miss the cruise critic meet and greet, we loved the ports of call ❤️ Paris the tour was fantastic! also Bruges and Amsterdam I almost got hit by a bicycle lol even in Hamburg we were the last to board.The 4 days we spend in London going to be in my memory for ever.❤️

About the cruise Magnifica is beautiful ship the food is just ok.

We only ate breakfast and some dinners. What I don’t like is at the buffet was only water,coffe and hot tea. No ice tea,lemonade?

On the last day when we get the final bill I noticed that there was a charge for a long distance call to Switzerland I went to guest services and I explain that we didn’t do that call she checked and told me that even we didn’t do the call she don’t know how to remove the charges, but to solve the problem she was going to remove a 10 euro 1 day service charge! I was furious! I never in all my cruises remove the service charges they work hard. I call MSC today and I told them This is not the right way to solve a problem.

However, we loved our trip and booked the Magnifica just for the ports of call, and yes we meet wonderful people on this cruise.

We enjoyed the shows.

ISA

Edited by Isasprings

Hi, could you check out the inclusive drinks package to see if there are any alcohol free wine or beers available. Have just started medication that prohibits alcohol, boo hoo, and we have pre booked drinks package. Sail in 4 weeks and avidly reading your comments. You seem to be giving a fair and honest appraisal. Enjoy the rest of your cr:)uise.:)

Hi

Julie,sorry I miss the cruise critic meet and greet, we loved the ports of call ❤️ Paris the tour was fantastic! also Bruges and Amsterdam I almost got hit by a bicycle lol even in Hamburg we were the last to board.The 4 days we spend in London going to be in my memory for ever.❤️

About the cruise Magnifica is beautiful ship the food is just ok.

We only ate breakfast and some dinners. What I don’t like is at the buffet was only water,coffe and hot tea. No ice tea,lemonade?

On the last day when we get the final bill I noticed that there was a charge for a long distance call to Switzerland I went to guest services and I explain that we didn’t do that call she checked and told me that even we didn’t do the call she don’t know how to remove the charges, but to solve the problem she was going to remove a 10 euro 1 day service charge! I was furious! I never in all my cruises remove the service charges they work hard. I call MSC today and I told them This is not the right way to solve a problem.

However, we loved our trip and booked the Magnifica just for the ports of call, and yes we meet wonderful people on this cruise.

We enjoyed the shows.

ISA

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise overall, we liked the ports too, think we all had to dodge the bikes in Amsterdam!

No ice tea or lemonade would not be unusual to us Brits or other Europeans, not many people here drink ice tea and I think I've only had lemonade at the buffet on 'American' ships.

The reply about the service charge sounds strange, no idea why they couldn't just remove the phone call.

Julie

Hi, could you check out the inclusive drinks package to see if there are any alcohol free wine or beers available. Have just started medication that prohibits alcohol, boo hoo, and we have pre booked drinks package. Sail in 4 weeks and avidly reading your comments. You seem to be giving a fair and honest appraisal. Enjoy the rest of your cr:)uise.:)

I don't have pics of all the bar menus but I know there are bottles of non alcoholic beer that are included on the package, I don't remember seeing any wines.

There is also a page of non alcoholic cocktails, I can vouch for them as I tried a couple one evening when I was alcoholed out:):)

I think you will still get your moneys worth from the package, it includes soft drinks, coffees, teas, bottles of water, milkshakes and smoothies and not forgetting the fab gelato.

Another thing that I realised I could do a couple of days into the cruise. At breakfast in the buffet the free juices are from a machine, pre mixed and watery, but with the package you can go to the bar and get a glass of juice from a carton (similar to Del Monte etc) which is much nicer. The freshly squeezed juice is not available on the standard package.

Julie